After School Care Program (CDC?)

irvinehomeowner

We are contemplating moving our kids to public school this fall but we have concerns about the after school care program.

Our main concerns are:

1. Ensuring the kids get to the CDC program once school is out
Has anyone had issues where their kid did not make it to the CDC?

2. Type of activities
I've talked to two different ones and they say there is a good mix of things to do and it's not just free play.

3. Study time
They also said there is time set aside to do homework which would help free up some of our time at night. I don't mind doing homework with my kids, but since both of them are going to be doing next year, a little less would be nice.

4. Mix of kids ages
Since most elementary schools go to grade 6, we are a bit concerned about the interaction between ages. I'm not ready for my 6-year old to start acting like an 11-year old.

Do any parents out there use any of the IUSD after school care programs and what are your thoughts?

Patrick Star said:
irvinehomeowner said:
We are contemplating moving our kids to public school this fall but we have concerns about the after school care program.

Our main concerns are:

1. Ensuring the kids get to the CDC program once school is out
Has anyone had issues where their kid did not make it to the CDC?

2. Type of activities
I've talked to two different ones and they say there is a good mix of things to do and it's not just free play.

3. Study time
They also said there is time set aside to do homework which would help free up some of our time at night. I don't mind doing homework with my kids, but since both of them are going to be doing next year, a little less would be nice.

4. Mix of kids ages
Since most elementary schools go to grade 6, we are a bit concerned about the interaction between ages. I'm not ready for my 6-year old to start acting like an 11-year old.

Do any parents out there use any of the IUSD after school care programs and what are your thoughts?

1. CDC is typically right on campus in a portable.  In lower grades the teachers (or delegate) walk the kids right over to the CDC or a CDC staff waits for the kids at a designated meeting place.  Never heard of any issues.

2. Correct.  Many enrichment activities, in addition to PE type activities on the school playground.

3. Yes, but that is optional if you want them to help with the homework.  We have always declined that option and done homework with our child.  Not something we wanted to outsource to the CDC staff.

4. Typically they split the kids by age grouping, lower and upper grades.  Like K-3 and 4-5 or 6.  Both CDC facilities we utilized even had separate rooms for the age groups.
What do I need TI for? I just need to call the Patphone! Thanks... the info, especially 2 and 4, is very helpful.

villagepeople said:
do you guys mind telling me where i can find pricing for CDC?  i went on their website and couldn't find anything...http://www.cdicdc.org/

are there other programs anyone knows of?  i'll be looking for 1/2 day care for kindergarten.
I think you have to call the specific one that is servicing the school your kid will be attending.

I think they all run around the same price (I forgot what exactly because it's been 2 years since I asked and I don't remember if the price I was quoted was for one or two kids).

Back