Fifty Year Homecoming celebration planned July 29-31, 2016

UCA Lady

If you lived here 1966-1976:

Irvine 50 Year Homecoming celebration is ON!

We have a date. It's July 29, 30, 31, 2016. We even have a logo. All those who lived in Irvine 1966-1976 (ok -- give or take a few, it's OK!) are going to gather in the oldest village in Irvine to celebrate the 50th anniversary of when the first of us Irvine pioneers moved in to University Park, Vllages One and Chancellor. We were soon followed by Village Two, Village Three (now Village Park), Culverdale and Turtle Rock. Then Woodbridge, and they came fast and furious from then on.

Make it a family affair and bring kids and grandkids so they can see where those great childhood and young adult fun things you talk about took place.

The clubhouse on Sandburg Way in UP (just past the UP Elementary School) will be open for registration on Friday afternoon and evening, so you can leave your name and old friends can find you. If we can get the necessary donations of photos, we'll have a photo display open all weekend in the clubhouse. Get out those old photo albums now, and scan some to send (We'll be setting up a special email address soon, and website.)

Here are some of the things we are thinking about, but we need a committee! Yes, I was only twenty nine when I first came to my house on Brisbane Way, but even though I still do lots of things for an old lady of almost 80, and was once a real whirlwind of activism, I can't do this by myself! So, we need ideas, and then people who will help make them happen. Some of my ideas are a huge community picnic (probably catered since many will be coming from elsewhere) on the lawn near one of the University Park swimming pools, or if we can get it free of charge, at the University Park city park, or maybe Mason Park; a kazoo and pick-up marching band parade for groups from various streets or schools to open the picnic; entertainment by bands that used to play together back when, or maybe Dan Trevino's famous Madrials from Uni; A talent show; Evening dancing (we'll get a floor put down) to music from some groups that played together, or with a DJ spinning the songs we all loved in the sixties and seventies; tours of all the old Irvine neighborhoods, and some of the new ones, including the Great Park.

We can also try to set up our own private "BnB" registry for those who might be willing to have guests -- maybe even paying guests -- for a couple of nights, or get a block of rooms in a nearby hotel.

We will need money of course, so there will have to be charges for some events, which we can keep modest if we can also get donations. Anyone with clout with the Irvine Company or local businesses, please volunteer for fund raising!

I'll be back soon with the special email address and website (probably by Monday so I can do it over the weekend), but in the meantime, you can email me at UCALady@gmail.com/

We have almost six months to make this a roaring success, so let's go, Irvine pioneers!

Back