Years ago, when I lived in Buena Park, the police arrested a couple living in La Habra area for running similar scam.  Both husband and wife went out to beg on the street but owns 2 Mercedes in the driveway of their SFR.

momopi said:
Years ago, when I lived in Buena Park, the police arrested a couple living in La Habra area for running similar scam.  Both husband and wife went out to beg on the street but owns 2 Mercedes in the driveway of their SFR.

I wonder what they were charged with?  Everyone needs extra money.  Not sure if they were directly deceiving anyone depending what their sign said.  Is panhandling itself illegal?

Saw a family with daughter panhandling yesterday at exit for Heritage Plaza / Irvine Mitsuwa.

I think IPD can charge panhandlers with trespassing on private property.

I wish people would stop giving money to panhandlers, and the people who set up little tables outside TJ's and Walgreens.  Research a charity and give money to a good one.  Most panhandlers spend it on alcohol and drugs. Doesn't everyone know that?

Imagine your kid gets all messed up on drugs and becomes a street kid.  And people just hand him money all day to feed his habit.  He would never get help, he'd just get high.

Whenever possible I give hobo's a bottle of water and a buck or so. There but for the grace of God that could be me someday as ones security is never guaranteed.

There is a gypsy pack (father, mother, 2 kids) that cruise around RSM/Foothill Ranch, likely part of the same crew as those in Irvine. People out here are still throwing loose change at them every day, week in, week out.

Whenever I see a 45 year old able bodied man with a "Vietnam Veteran, please help" sign, or the professional begging gypsies and their kids with their hands out, I wish it was legal to aim my 4WD at them for a little live action Grand Theft Auto the cops would intervene. These fakers should be "tagged and released" with a big tattoo on their forehead that says SCAM. At minimum CPS could snatch these kids and give them a fighting chance. Tough love for these jokers just isn't politically correct today and everybody suffer as result.

My .02c

Back