Author Topic: Taking care of your greatest Asset: Your Physical Health  (Read 59765 times)

Offline sell4u

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 10
Re: Taking care of your greatest Asset: Your Physical Health
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2016, 01:39:24 PM »
Nothing crazy but here's my May 2015 & current. Happy to help answer any questions.

Great job, so how'd you do it in 1 year? Give us your 5 best bullet points.

I always tell my patients you should never count your life in numbers because in the end it's the quality of life that matters. If you have terminal cancer would you rather spend 6 months lucid, traveling, laughing with loved ones and preparing your exit with dignity OR spend 12 months in and out of the hospital, vomiting/sick with the toxicities of chemo just to live those extra 6 months in misery? I see some amazing 90-100 year old patients active, independent and enjoying life. And then I see the 60 year old that looks 110 and living miserably.
Some key ways to get to an advanced age with a good quality of life boils down to
- not smoking
- being physically active and within a normal weight range
- diet of mostly unprocessed foods
- overall positive outlook on life - I think we underestimate this sense of happiness and content and how positively that affects ones overall health and well being. My grandma was one of those people, lived a great quality of life into her 90s. Her secret was daily meditation. Nothing bothered her. She was truly content with life. She is my inspiration.

#1. Being happy with your self & having a positive attitude. Try and not let outside forces influence you.
#2. Learning from your mistakes.  What works, what doesn't.  Accepting the fact you may not get to your "goal" the 1st time or even the 6th time.
#3. Consistency
#4. Having an understanding of what exactly it's going to take to get to your goals. (i.e. macronutrients, caloric intake, training, cardio, etc...)
#5. Breath, relax, and take one day at a time.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your kind words! Means a lot to me.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline SoCal

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1801
  • -Received: 1474
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2016, 09:03:33 PM »
I literally just read this comment on Facebook a few minutes ago and it really stood out to me. Not sure if that's because this man is going through this or because he had the gall to type it out and admit it on a public page. Don't be this guy.

"i'm skinny with a pot belly and man boobs.my diet is sugar, salt and fat.i'm a 45 year old virgin.it's all diet and exercise and i'm lazy."

Offline Panda

• "Live a life that will help others financially, spiritually, physically, and emotionally. Live a life that serves as an example of what an exceptional life could look like."
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 257
  • -Received: 365
    • www.realwealthmanagement.com
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2016, 03:12:28 PM »
Hello everyone,

Here is an update on my progress so far. I am 5'8" inches tall and a medium framed Asian American male. I had set a goal to achieve my ideal weight of 151 by my 40th birthday on November 17th, 2016. I weighed 185 lbs as of January 4th, 2016. Just a little background, last time I weighed 157lb was my sophomore year in college. During my junior and senior year, I attended the business school at University of Michigan as a finance major. The environment was very competitive and I had to really study hard. Stress, eating ramen noodles at night, and not working out as much, I ballooned up to 175 by the end of my senior year. Most of my 20s and 30s (young adult years) I weighed between 180 - 190lbs ( 193lbs was my peak in 2015). Sometimes one needs a kick in the butt in order to make a dramatic change in their lifestyle.

In January 2016, I had my regular check up with my doctor and he told me that my LDL cholesterol was very high, blood sugar was high and I was at risk of stage 1 diabetes if I continued to path I was on. I knew that my father also had high cholesterol, blood sugar, and diabetes when he passed away at the young age of 65. I know that I want to live a lot longer that 25 more years to see my grand children grow up and travel the world with my wife. This was the moment when I knew that I needed to make an intentional change in my health and weight in 2016.

As my 40th birthday is only 5 days away, I don't think I will hit my target goal of 151lbs, but I do feel very good that I was able to reach my sophomore year weight in 20 years. I am by no means a health expert nor am I qualified in any way to give health advice, but if any of you guys want to ask me what I did to make the change, I would be more than happy to share with you. Just PM me.

I think controlling your diet is about 70% and the other 30 % is exercise and I lost the weight naturally by eating right and regular exercise.

Warm Regards,
Panda

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:46:33 PM by Panda »
James Park, MBA
Real Estate Broker and Loan Officer
CalBRE# 01894781, NMLS License # 1572291
Direct: (678) 865-6250
Email: jpark@johnscreekrealtypartners.com

http://www.biggerpockets.com/users/Panda
http://www.johnscreekrealtypartners.com

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 287
  • -Received: 554
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2016, 04:18:02 PM »
Good job Panda. That's good that you are taking care of your health.

Offline Panda

• "Live a life that will help others financially, spiritually, physically, and emotionally. Live a life that serves as an example of what an exceptional life could look like."
  • Thanks
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2016, 04:24:18 PM »
Thank you Eyephone,

I just now have to maintain my current weight for the next 20 years. :)

I am big believer of setting goals whether it be your net worth goals, business and investment goals, spiritual goals, emotional goals, health and weight goals, family and relationship goals. 2016 was the year for Panda to get back in shape. 2017 is the year where I will focus on my goals in the area of business, net worth, family, spiritual, and investment goals. I am really excited about launching my macro hedge fund in 2017 and growing my Real Estate business right when I turn 40.

I feel the best years are ahead of me, not behind me. I am SUPER excited about turning 40. :)

Panda

Good job Panda. That's good that you are taking care of your health.

James Park, MBA

Offline iacrenter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 382
  • -Received: 572
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2016, 06:44:15 PM »
Congratulations Panda. Though you must have seriously upped your game or taken some steroids the week between 4/4 and 4/11. You went from 5% to 37% muscle in 1 week. :)

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2412
  • -Received: 1520
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2016, 09:34:54 PM »
congrats Panda - that is awesome. just dont let it come back

Offline Panda

• Thanks
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2016, 05:37:16 PM »
Iacrenter,
The column for muscle was originally my A1C (blood sugar level). It was at 5.7% at the beginning of the year when I had my annual check up with Dr. Kim. A1C at 5.7% is in the early stages of prediabetes. Yikes!!!! Yes this information from Dr Kim put some serious fire under my butt to make a lifestyle change.  Hopefully my A1C % is a lot lower than 5.7% today.

I changed that column to muscle % since Ms Panda bought a new weight machine which measures the % of muscles as of late September.

The dates, weight, and fat% number are accurate. I only started to track my muscle percentage for about 6 weeks.

Congratulations Panda. Though you must have seriously upped your game or taken some steroids the week between 4/4 and 4/11. You went from 5% to 37% muscle in 1 week. :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:55:27 PM by Panda »
James Park, MBA

Offline The California Court Company

• What's this?
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 377
  • -Received: 322
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2016, 06:34:34 PM »
45 weeks to drop less than 30 lbs is pretty lame to be honest. A more dedicated and disciplined person should be able to do 1 to 2 lbs per week, while maintaining a healthy life style.
"Should any Person come into contact with such fruit, soil or groundwater, such Person is advised to wash thoroughly with soap and water and seek immediate medical attention"-Augusta Disclosure, Tustin Legacy

"You'll probably be able to buy a 4BR detached home in Quail Hill for $150,000."-IndieDev

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 287
  • -Received: 554
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2016, 07:50:32 PM »
45 weeks to drop less than 30 lbs is pretty lame to be honest. A more dedicated and disciplined person should be able to do 1 to 2 lbs per week, while maintaining a healthy life style.

Not everybody is the same.

Offline Ready2Downsize

• Thanks
  • -Given: 15
  • -Received: 170
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2016, 08:09:39 PM »
I applaud ANYONE who can lose 30 pounds no matter how long it takes.

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 54
  • -Received: 112
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2016, 10:22:50 PM »
Congrats.  As others have mentioned, the hardest part will be maintaining the weight especially with the holidays around the corner.  My work pants always feel really tight when I go back to work in the new year.

BTW, Happy 40th.  It's 11/17 EST now.

Offline SoclosetoIrvine

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 54
  • -Received: 78
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2016, 11:00:35 AM »
Congrats panda!

I'm like every other person.  Come winter time it is so hard to get out and make it a point to go work out especially when it's cold outside so I applaud your dedication.  Most days I snuggle up to some xbox games or Netflix.  I'll admit I usually only work out consistently when it's beach weather so I'll try to make it my goal till end of year to go more often.  We can all be healthier together.  I'm still young so that's my main excuse but when I hit my thirties, I know my body won't be as forgiving to my eating lifestyle so got to start soon

Offline SoCal

• Thanks
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2017, 04:14:45 PM »
I had set a goal to achieve my ideal weight of 151 by my 40th birthday on November 17th, 2016.

Panda, belated wishes for a Happy 40th!! I hope you had a great time celebrating and I hope the coming year is your best year yet.

Offline SoCal

• Thanks
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2017, 05:06:38 PM »
2016 was kind of a game-changer for us.

We had a possible cancer scare with Mr. SoCal. I have never been so nervous in my life as I was the week we had to wait for test results and then another week for a second round of tests. I have been with Mr. SoCal for my entire adult life. He obviously means everything to me because he is all I know. He's been my whole world for half my life. Of course, as over-analyzing is what I do best: My mind started racing to the worst possible scenario that I would have to do this life alone with 2 boys. That is especially scary when you've never been on your own. (I went straight from my father's house to my husband's house.) It was terrifying. I was praying hard. THANKFULLY, everything came back FINE with that. NO CANCER. What a relief! But he was diagnosed w/ high b.p.. He's on medication but it's not working that well.

I'm still concerned that he's going to die before me, especially now that he's getting older. Both of his grandfathers were dead by the age he is now and his father is currently battling cancer. All these things have encouraged us (well, me) to take precautions. He mostly prefers to live in a state of denial. Since I'm 10 years younger than him, I've made some changes to our lives that would allow me to transition more smoothly to the life of a widow & single mom in the event that he suddenly passes away. It's better to take care of some things at a time that's good for you rather than all at once while you're under the yoke of extreme grief. We still need to iron out some of the details but we're moving in the right direction. Financially, we're in good shape so that helps a lot. It sucks having to face that fact that we're all going to die but I trust that everything will be okay if / when it happens. I trust God 110%.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:14:05 PM by SoCal »

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts