2 men arrested, another hospitalized, following Irvine home burglary

WTTCHMN

2 men arrested, another hospitalized, following Irvine home burglary

Jan. 8, 2016 Updated 1:46 p.m.

IRVINE ? Two men were arrested and another hospitalized Thursday night after police chased them from the area of a home burglary onto the 405 freeway, officials said.

A man called 911 to report a burglary in progress around 9:15 p.m. on Seton Road after he heard a loud noise inside his neighbor?s residence when he knew the homeowner was not home, said Farrah Emami, spokeswoman for the Irvine Police Department.

Officials said the neighbor provided vehicle descriptions of cars parked on the street to officers, who identified a vehicle matching the description of one leaving the University Park neighborhood and followed it.

The driver of the white SUV failed to yield when police attempted to conduct a traffic stop, leading officers on a high-speed chase -- with speeds exceeding 100 mph -- on the northbound I-405 before exiting at MacArthur Boulevard.

A number of men ran out of the SUV after exiting the freeway, and the vehicle continued to roll before crashing into a light pole.

Dominque William Malone, 20, of Lancaster and Jermaine Edward Toomer, 29, of Los Angeles attempted to hide in the area, but Irvine police, with the help of the Orange County Sheriff?s Department?s helicopter ?Duke? crew, found both of them quickly, Emami said.

A third man, who was not immediately identified, continued to run before jumping a fence and onto a I-405 overpass, causing him to break several bones.

Orange County Fire Authority responded at 9:35 p.m. and treated the man before taking him to Orange County Global Medical Center in Santa Ana, said OCFA Battalion Chief Steve Edwards.

Malone and Toomer were arrested on suspicion of residential burglary and booked into Orange County jail and scheduled to appear in court Monday. Malone was held without bail, while Toomer remained in custody in lieu of $50,000.

Police did not immediately find stolen merchandise within the crashed car, but are continuing to investigate, Emami said.

Officials said the third man may be arrested at a later time.

Contact the writer: 714-796-7802 or aduranty@ocregister.com

iacrenter said:
If it was a guard gated community this would have never happened.

Yep. It would have reduced the probability of your Irvine home being burglarized from 0.2% all the way down to 0.1%. Enjoy the burden of calling the guard shack to announce every single visitor and waiting for the gate to open every single time you enter and exit your neighborhood!

Perspective said:
iacrenter said:

Yep. It would have reduced the probability of your Irvine home being burglarized from 0.2% all the way down to 0.1%. Enjoy the burden of calling the guard shack to announce every single visitor and waiting for the gate to open every single time you enter and exit your neighborhood!

Lol

Perspective said:
iacrenter said:

As they say, there's an app for that. But you can't put a price on securing my future drone delivered packages. 😀

Perspective said:
iacrenter said:

50% reduction? Sounds good to me.

Haha ya I was gonna say if you really have data to support that I'm twice as likely to be burgled when not behind the gates, then I'm going for the gates!

Back