LA Unified schools closed today due to "credible threat"

irvinehomeowner

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-all-lausd-schools-closed-threat-20151215-story.html
Officials closed all Los Angeles Unified School District campuses Tuesday morning after receiving a "credible threat" of violence involving backpacks and packages left at campuses.

Authorities said they plan a search operation of all of the LAUSD's more than 900 schools. The nation's second-largest school district has more than 700,000 students.

Got an audio message that IUSD will remain open.

Crazy.

It's interesting that NY got the same threat and they decided to keep the school open.

This is symptomatic of a society that no longer believes its government can keep them safe....jittery, jump the gun bureaucrats  worried about covering their keesters and costing us all millions to do so.  Wonderful!!!  Merry Christmas!!

Erring on the side of safety, isn't bad.  Closing the schools is a judgement call.  With 640,000 students, what percentage of a level of confidence do you need before you blow it off?  You comfortable with a politician like Ramon going at 5%?  10%? 20%?

Let's be blunt, anybody advising is going to have nothing but weasel words for how sure they are.  Most likely, possibly, unlikely, etc.

To me the bigger concern showing up is this attitude of "do not criticize us', 'do not second guess us', 'won't tell you my advice was'

so sleazy, sleazy, sleazy on the parts of everyone that didn't make the call, but had input.

IMHO, all Ramon needs to say is the facts, the email came at time X, we had to make a decision, nobody would definitely say it was 'hoax' and hopefully, someone asked them if they'd send their kid.  Nobody was sure it was a hoax and I (Ramon) needed to decide if I'm sending 750,000 people into the threat.

And then let's get a look at it so people can judge, but it is fair for us to judge 

And then let's move on to the fairly complete blunder that the process for vetting, closing and communicating was.

Yeah...I don't get how anyone can be upset with the district taking this route. You can't just ignore threats. 

Why don't they release the email, or at least tell us what's in it, and let the public decide if the threat is credible or not?  NYC has been much more forthcoming than LA.

I guess the terrorists win. Welcome to the new reality. Backpack bombs closing major school districts and metal detectors at Star Wars premier.

Well, you know what's going to happen the next time an LAUSD student didn't study for finals and didn't want to take the test.

Happiness said:
Well, you know what's going to happen the next time an LAUSD student didn't study for finals and didn't want to take the test.
Happiness said:

Another reason to live in Irvine. Tiger parents wouldn't dare let their kids not study for the test.

iacrenter said:
Happiness said:
Happiness said:

Another reason to live in Irvine. Tiger parents wouldn't dare let their kids not study for the test.

who goes to wholesome choice

Make no mistake, the New Yorkers are rationalizing their no response decision as much as LA is rationalizing their response.

nosuchreality said:
Make no mistake, the New Yorkers are rationalizing their no response decision as much as LA is rationalizing their response.

You make a good point. Just because nothing bad happened in nyc doesn't mean that LA would have been in the clear.  Any level of doubt should be considered seriously.

But they didn't have to say we overreacted, made the officials look bad.  This will weaken public response to our leadership.

They saw the same data and came to the correct conclusion. Look around. Two Manhattan beach schools closed bc threats, college in San Bernardino still closed due to threats. Pranksters have our bureaucrats jumping around like a feeding cat next to a cucumber.  We look like fools.

ps9 said:
But they didn't have to say we overreacted, made the officials look bad.  This will weaken public response to our leadership.
Our officials don't look bad, they look VERY bad because the person who said LA overreacted was LA's former police chief Bill Bratton. 

Back