Microwave Oven Question

tmare

I have a built in 30" Sharp Microwave Oven. It seemed to be having small explosions inside. I thought a part of it was actually melting. As it turns out the burning part is a little cardboard, metallic looking piece of paper (with some sort of plastic) inside of it covering a hole (gawd, that is a terrible description, but I don't know what to say), anyway, it's a part of the original microwave. The cardboard piece has a black burn in it, this was the cause of the "mini explosions". I shut it off and no one has used it for two days, ready to buy a new one (since I already repaired it last year at a cost of over $200). I just tried it again and without the dumb little cardboard piece, it is apparently working fine. Does anyone have any clue what that cardboard thing was for, if I need it, or if I should go with the original plan of chucking the thing out the window and shelling out about $750 for a new one (including installation) or should I pay another $200 to have someone come out and put a new piece of cardboard in it (charging $100 just to show up)? My instinct is that it is probably fine and the repair guy would laugh all the way to the bank, however I don't want to heat things in a toxic microwave. It's about 6 years old. I'm taking a shot in the dark with you guys before I decide what to do, but I've saved some time and money here before, so, any ideas?

Yep, waveguide cover. Googled a bit more (even found out how to make your own). Found the exact thing and ordered it. Problem solved in about 45 minutes from the time I asked and for less than $20. Thanks, Sunshine!

Back