Author Topic: Obamacare on Life Support article  (Read 51986 times)

Offline peppy

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 10
  • -Received: 62
Re: Obamacare on Life Support article
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »
I've said this for years. This was a planned disaster, designed to fail so implementation of single payer becomes the only option....check mate

LOL. If only ...

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2046
  • -Received: 3502
  • 3CWG
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 09:58:56 AM »
Except you have a healthier population as a whole who gets preventative care rather than emergency care...it's much cheaper on the system and creates a healthier/happier population.
That's the theory. I don't think it's close to the reality.

Too much middle man for you to prove it's "cheaper" on the system.

Again, this goes back to what should be done at a federal level and a state/local level.

Your articles even point out how the costs vary by state, thus ACA should be at that level.

@peppy: Yes, and I understand that the slants on data may be politically based, as IC's articles are probably liberal leaning, however my premise is based on the fact that government spending is not efficient, thus something like health insurance, which already has its own warts, is not something we want put on the taxpayers' (and insured's) bills.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 572
  • -Received: 474
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »
Except you have a healthier population as a whole who gets preventative care rather than emergency care...it's much cheaper on the system and creates a healthier/happier population.
That's the theory. I don't think it's close to the reality.

Too much middle man for you to prove it's "cheaper" on the system.

Again, this goes back to what should be done at a federal level and a state/local level.

Your articles even point out how the costs vary by state, thus ACA should be at that level.

@peppy: Yes, and I understand that the slants on data may be politically based, as IC's articles are probably liberal leaning, however my premise is based on the fact that government spending is not efficient, thus something like health insurance, which already has its own warts, is not something we want put on the taxpayers' (and insured's) bills.

You can't implement healthcare reform on a state to state level because people migrant and move.  Lack of insurance care in one state has effects across the entire country.  This county is getting older and some sort of reform was needed.

I agree that Obamacare is not the cure..it's a bandaid but better than what we  had before.  Again, I am all for single payer system and get the middle man out.  Obamacare was the GOP plan before GOP went crazy.

jmoney74

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 10:08:08 AM »
There are some good qualities for Obamacare.. but more bad ones.  I like how older people with limited income have subsidies as well as people with pre-existing conditions.. but man.. all that other stuff they threw in.  Every pregnant lady gets a "free" breast pump.. crap like that.   

Offline peppy

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 10:10:18 AM »

But it beats the inefficiencies of relying on the ER for health care coverage.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2046
  • -Received: 3502
  • 3CWG
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 10:11:01 AM »
@IC:

I agree with you that ACA is not the cure, but I don't think it's any better than what we had.

And yes, getting the middle man out would go a long way for me to accept any type of universal healthcare system, but there will always be the federal government portion which I don't like.

I see your point about migration but at the same time, each state has different healthcare needs/costs based on the widely mixed population so a one size fits all is also difficult. Maybe there should be a state-level program and a migrant program for those who live/work in multiple states.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com

Offline peppy

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 10:19:21 AM »
@IC:

I agree with you that ACA is not the cure, but I don't think it's any better than what we had.

And yes, getting the middle man out would go a long way for me to accept any type of universal healthcare system, but there will always be the federal government portion which I don't like.

I see your point about migration but at the same time, each state has different healthcare needs/costs based on the widely mixed population so a one size fits all is also difficult. Maybe there should be a state-level program and a migrant program for those who live/work in multiple states.

ACA allows a state to operate their own exchanges (see Covered California). Never mind ... got mixed up with your foray into universal coverage.

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
  • -Given: 256
  • -Received: 285
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 10:29:36 AM »
I've said this for years. This was a planned disaster, designed to fail so implementation of single payer becomes the only option....check mate

Obamacare was the GOP alternative to Single Payer...it's what Romney implemented in Mass. 

Romneycare failed too...they folded it in as a last ditch effort.  Obamacare will collapse under its own weight too..

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/05/massachusetts-romneycare-health-care-exchange-106362

Mass. ditches RomneyCare exchange

RomneyCare’s pioneering health insurance exchange is headed for the scrap heap.

Bay State officials are taking steps this week to junk central parts of their dysfunctional health insurance exchange — the model for President Barack Obama’s health care law — and merge with the federal enrollment site HealthCare.gov.

The decision is part of an expensive plan that would occur alongside a parallel, last-ditch attempt to still build a working state system.

The state on Monday announced the hiring of hCentive, a Virginia-based contractor that helped construct the Kentucky and Colorado exchanges. The company would rush to build a viable state exchange in time for the next enrollment season, which begins Nov. 15.

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 01:51:16 PM »
The last pin

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_INSURANCE_CO_OP_TROUBLE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-12-10-16-00-23

Lone profitable ACA insurance co-op losing millions

The lone health insurance cooperative to make money last year on the Affordable Care Act's public insurance exchanges is now losing millions and cutting off individual enrollment for 2016.

Maine's Community Health Options lost more than $17 million in the first nine months of this year, after making $10.9 million in the same period last year. A spokesman said higher-than-expected medical costs have hurt the cooperative.

The announcement casts further doubt on the future of insurance cooperatives, small nonprofit insurers that were created during the ACA's creation to inject competition in insurance markets. These co-ops immediately struggled to build their businesses. A dozen of the 23 created have already folded.

Offline tim

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 66
  • -Received: 13
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 03:48:49 PM »
Another thing that the ACA has brought is that fewer people stay at jobs they don't like just so they can keep their medical coverage.

Before ACA, the #1 reason of people declaring bankruptcy was due to health problems. Will that change now? Too soon to tell. I believe it will.

I don't think the ACA is just about finances. There is also an aspect about it that just seems like making our country a better place to live. I want to live in a country that takes care of the health of its citizens.

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 05:17:51 PM »
That is a super sparkly thought!! Unfortunately, as the name of this thread implies, pixy dust will not sustain a system that is collapsing into a deep and bottomless pit of debt, dug with the shovels of "best intentions".

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 95
  • -Received: 328
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2015, 07:12:34 AM »
Actually, I think the effect of ACA is the opposite on employment.  I've had the benefit of being on four different plans in the last two years.

ACA plans provide nothing like a good employer plan.  Their networks of providers are literally half or less than the size of the employer plan and your well established providers with existing customer bases aren't in them. 

The employer market has fractured into multiple tiers with top end employers offering plans that cost the employee a couple hundred that are platinum type plans with massive networks.  To those that offer an ACA quality plan.  Or offer a good plan but leave the employee to cover the vast majority premium, $1200, $1400, $1600 or more a month.

Offline morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 12:30:29 PM »
Well looks like life support just flat lined....I'll call it. "Time of death....October 25, 2017. A short and painful life."

Obamacare's Collapsing. That Was Always The Plan.

Thursday, President Obama attempted to defend the skyrocketing costs of Obamacare by comparing them to the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, a smartphone that was banned on airplanes because it had a nasty habit of spontaneously combusting. Obama said that even though the Samsung had problems, “you don’t go back to using a rotary phone.”

Except, of course, that you do go back to using a rotary phone while you recall all the devices and rethink how to avoid exploding devices.

This was always the plan. I told Fox News back in August 2013 that Obamacare was designed to fail, thereby necessitating a government option. That option would bankrupt insurance companies – the government doesn’t have a necessity for profit margin, and therefore, for decent service – and lead to the complete government takeover of healthcare Obama has always sought. In other words, Obamacare was created with designed obsolescence – it’s as though Samsung had designed their phones to melt down so that they could then market the Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Government Edition.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/10118/obamacares-collapsing-was-always-plan-ben-shapiro#

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 95
  • -Received: 328
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 06:37:26 AM »
The problem is really two fold.

Continued increasing usage of services and products.

Producers of said products gaming the system (i.e. Mylan).

if you're mandating to go back to the way it was, price increase taming was completed by exclusion of services, coverage or products.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Perspective

• Thanks
  • -Given: 119
  • -Received: 153
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 09:22:20 AM »
ACA isn't perfect. It needs to be improved. Healthcare delivery/costs weren't perfect before ACA. It's a tough extremely complex issue.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: KB Home Genoa at OH by thecolt
[Today at 09:54:59 AM]

Re: Toll Brothers Customer Service by NYT
[Today at 09:23:15 AM]

Re: Snowflakes by morekaos
[Today at 08:05:42 AM]