Georgia Tech and UCLA Admissions

panda

In 1998, close to 90% of the admitted seniors to UCLA were California residents.  International students were a minor between 1-2% of the admits and about 9% of the admitted students came from out of state. In state tuition was right around $3500 / year for California residents. Even in 1998, the Asian profile made up 40% of the entering senior class. 

112ap1v.jpg

The UCLA admissions rate was 33% back in 1998. In 2015. the number of applicants have more than doubled the admissions rate is almost half of what was in 1998 at 17% acceptance rate.  As a California resident, the acceptance rate is lower at 17% vs if you are applying as an out of state student at 28%. Acceptance of admitted Out of state students have grown 400% since 1998. This number is significant for international students where this number of admitted students have increased more than 10 folds.

The most interesting part about this these data sets is that Asian demographic make up was 40% in 1998 and in

In 1998, almost 90% of the admitted students to UCLA were California residents. Today that number has dropped to 58%. As a California resident, the odds are now stacked against your children' chances to be admitted to UCLA. The top UC schools are no different than any other large corporation. In order for them to increase more revenue, they will need to admit more international and out of state students who are willing to pay out-of-state tuition.

I'd never do that, the college experience isn't the same.  Money isn't everything.

IHO, even the junior college transfer route is not easy as only 28% of the California residents are accepted.

iy30nq.jpg

irvinehomeowner said:
That's why you do the junior college transfer route. Saves money and gets you in anyways.

Your children's college education can be the most expensive investment you may have next to purchasing your primary residence. If you have two children who are both attending private school and don't qualify for any financial aid, your total costs can be anywhere between $500,000 - $600,000. Below you can see the link of which universities are the best investments for your money. This calculated by the total cost of a college education, and your return on investment. Choosing a college degree with the highest possible return on a student?s investment is becoming more and more of a priority.

Georgia Tech ranks #3, UC Berkeley ranks #8, and UCLA ranks #36. As a Georgia resident your children can be qualified for either the HOPE scholarship or the Zell Miller scholarship which is not based on financial need. Zell Miller has a higher high school GPA requirement of 3.7 where HOPE GPA requirement is 3.0.

Source:http://www.bestcolleges.com/features/best-roi-colleges/

US NEWS Ranking #36
2dbqt8n.jpg

US NEWS Ranking #20
1pv8ep.jpg

US NEWS Ranking #23
2s7i8hx.jpg

Source:http://www.finaid.gatech.edu/hope

Tuition
For 2015-2016, the HOPE Scholarship pays a maximum of $6780 for two semesters of enrollment in 15 HOPE eligible credits per term.

Source:http://www.finaid.gatech.edu/zell

Tuition
For 2015- 2016, The Zell Miller Scholarship pays 100% of the total cost of in-state tuition charged. This is a maximum of $9,812 for two semesters of enrollment in 12 Zell Miller eligible credits per term for students who do not qualify for a prior "guaranteed tuition" rate.

very silly comparison between Georgia tech and Berkley. Berkley is much closer to silicon valley where there are vast number of internship opportunities they can choose from.
my company is in the high tech field and we simply throw away resumes from new grads without industry experience.  and I have seen many cases of Georgia tech graduate school students BEGGING their professors so they can take a break from school for one semester or more in order to live and do intern in CALIFORNIA

I am not comparing Berkeley and Tech on which is a better school as everyone here knows that Berkeley is a more competitive school. What I am comparing here is return on investment which is the true cost of attending a school weighed against the median earning power of its graduates over 30 years.

Panda said:
I am not comparing Berkeley and Tech on which is a better school as everyone here knows that Berkeley is a more competitive school. What I am comparing here is return on investment which is the true cost of attending a school weighed against the median earning power of its graduates over 30 years.

Then what's the point?  UCs are still super cheap and ultracompetitive.  They are internationally known and well situated.  Just like John's Creek will never be Irvine and Georgia will never be California, Georgia Tech will never be a Cal or UCLA. 

I'm not a big proponent of going after Ivy League school but there is something to be said about having top notch schools in your resume. 

Irvine commuter,
I agree with your statement above. I also agree that the uc schools are still relatively cheap for the in state resident. I also agree that tech will never be cal of ucla, but I would not underestimate tech as it is a better school than the rest of the uc schools including ucsd.

Yes, to get into cal and ucla is a great value IF your son or daughter can get in. The point i am trying to make is that admission to cal and ucla is getting very very tough. It seems to me that if you are asian and a calfornia resident, the odds are greatly stacked against you. ( stat data 1998 vs 2014 shown above). Assuming your children are going to be applying to colleges in 10 years... admissions acceptance % probably will be in the low teens, you might as well send them to ivy as getting into an ivy maybe easier in the future, however the 4 year tuition price tag is $200k (private) vs $48k (state).

There is a quote from one of the best hockey players of our time, Wayne Gretzy said "Go where the puck is headed, not where the puck has already been." Tech and UNC have dominated the southeast region, but it is not to say that Tech is not going to be internationally recognized ("FCB Approved").

I think Tech is now moving in that direction. Notice the recent application growth from 2012 - 2014 has almost doubled and the acceptance rate has dropped from 55% to 32% between 2012 - 2015.

One thing that is really really odd to me is how UCLA's 1998 freshman class was made of 40% Asians and 2014's freshman class was made up of 34% Asians. Hopefully one of you guys can explain this to me as my initial instinct tells me that there was some sort of intervention that took place. Georgia Tech 25% Asian student body has been organically grown.

2ylntp3.jpg

30cp351.jpg

bones said:
When I was growing up in the northeast, Georgie tech was an up and coming school. A lot of Asian parents liked it for their engineering rankings but no one sent their kid there over the  top UC schools even from the east coast. So 2 decades later, it's still an up and coming school? Georgia tech at best is a top regional school. It'll dominate that space but doubt it will go far beyond that. A great option for GA kids but let's not be silly here.

Panda said:
There is a quote from one of the best hockey players of our time, Wayne Gretzy said "Go where the puck is headed, not where the puck has already been." Tech and UNC have dominated the southeast region, but it is not to say that Tech is not going to be internationally recognized ("FCB Approved").

I think Tech is now moving in that direction. Notice the recent application growth from 2012 - 2014 has almost doubled and the acceptance rate has dropped from 55% to 32% between 2012 - 2015.

bones said:
When I was growing up in the northeast, Georgie tech was an up and coming school. A lot of Asian parents liked it for their engineering rankings but no one sent their kid there over the  top UC schools even from the east coast. So 2 decades later, it's still an up and coming school? Georgia tech at best is a top regional school. It'll dominate that space but doubt it will go far beyond that. A great option for GA kids but let's not be silly here.

Ok, so skip Harvard bc it has dominated the last several hundred years and opt for university of phoenix?  I'm sorry, that quote makes no sense in this context.

And 3/4 of universities have reported application increases the last decade.  High application volume is VERY common in today's college landscape.  Lots of factors contribute to that.

Acceptance rate decreasing... well that has to do somewhat with application volume increasing.  Tulane's acceptance rate has dropped from mid 50s to mid 20s.  Vandy dropped from mid 50s to mid teens.  And the list goes on and on.  What are the indicators of an up and coming school?  If it's application volume increase and acceptance rate decrease, then well, join the long list of colleges that fit that criteria.  And which schools are they displacing in the top 25?

Like I said, GTech is a great school.  But it's not even the hardest school to get into in the state of Georgia.  Probably should work on that before it continues onward towards world domination.

West Coast weather will always dominate the Dirty South.

That's why all the tech power lies in WA and CA... because nerds don't like the heat and humidity.

Panda said:
It seems to me that if you are asian and a calfornia resident, the odds are greatly stacked against you. ( stat data 1998 vs 2014 shown above).

I don't think you are reading the numbers correctly. Asians are still the largest ethnic group in the UC system whereas this is not the case for the population of the state as a whole. Acceptance has dropped from about 79% (1999) to 60% (2015) if you are a resident. So I do agree that it has become less likely to get in, but the starting point were stats that showed a highly favored acceptance rate for CA residents that are Asian.

The bigger issue at hand would the financing of state schools the way it is right now.

Panda said:
Irvine commuter,
I agree with your statement above. I also agree that the uc schools are still relatively cheap for the in state resident. I also agree that tech will never be cal of ucla, but I would not underestimate tech as it is a better school than the rest of the uc schools including ucsd.

Yes, to get into cal and ucla is a great value IF your son or daughter can get in. The point i am trying to make is that admission to cal and ucla is getting very very tough. It seems to me that if you are asian and a calfornia resident, the odds are greatly stacked against you. ( stat data 1998 vs 2014 shown above). Assuming your children are going to be applying to colleges in 10 years... admissions acceptance % probably will be in the low teens, you might as well send them to ivy as getting into an ivy maybe easier in the future, however the 4 year tuition price tag is $200k (private) vs $48k (state).

But you're comparing apples to oranges...Georgia Tech is the best public college in Georgia and the target for top Georgia high schoolers (outside of those going after Ivies and private colleges).  At best, it's comparable to the 3rd or 4th best UC.  As such, you don't even have a chance to get into to a top tier school like UCB or UCLA. 

Georgia Tech also admits about 8,500 students and only 2,800 enroll.  Thus, you are basically screwed if you don't get in because your backup choice would be UGA?  If you are in California, you may not get into UCB or UCLA but you have a good chance of getting into UCSD, UCD, UCI, or UCSB.   

UC system is not just great because it has great flagship schools...the quality of the system overall is excellent...there is no other state university program that even comes close.

We haven't even talked about the fact that George Tech pretty much only has STEM majors , which greatly inflates the ROI estimate you cited above as exclude students with non-STEM interests.

WTTCHMN said:
Irvine Dream said:
WTTCHMN said:
Georgia Tech ranked #302 by The Economist.

UCLA #78

Berkeley #1141 (that's not a typo)

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2015/10/value-university
UCLA #347?

oops, #78 is CSULA

USC #371

Trying to read the methodology on this study is pretty crazy...I have no idea why there is an "expected earning" when there is an actual earning.    Also...the comments are pretty clear about the elected methodology being pretty poor. 

One of the bigger issue is that if it presumes that the graduate stays in the local area...that's pretty ridiculous assumption for high end school, like Cal.

Below I have done some comparison of Tech and UCLA in terms of ROI and Tuition as fees. I really think that Tech will get on the FCB radar in the years ahead. Admission to tech this year was 23% vs 51% in 2011.

admission.jpg

2017 Admissions:
UCLA Admission :    17.3%
Georgia Admission : 23.3%

UCLA ethnic makeup:
Asian 39%
White 31%
Latino: 20%
Black  4%

Georgia Tech ethnic makeup:
Asian 20%
White 50%
Latino 6.5%
Black  6.6%

UCLA California residence tuition 4 years : $138,708

Georgia Tech - Georgia residence tuition 4 years : $113,472
Georgia Tech - Georgia residence tuition 4 years : $$73,440 with Hope Scholarship

Best ROI:
Rank #3 : Georgia Tech
Seven career sectors that Georgia Institute of Technology graduates most often pursue are all concentrated in engineering: software, mechanical, electrical, aerospace, project, civil, and senior mechanical. Among these careers, the average annual salary is $73,137 ? roughly $14,000 less than the cost of a complete degree program. For this reason (as well as the average amount of financial aid received by students), it's easy to see why GIT graduates earn such a high ROI over the course of 30 years.
Cost: $87,030
30 Year Net ROI: $1,389,000
% Aid: 78%

Best ROI:

Rank #36 : UCLA

A public research facility, the University of California (UCLA) is one of ten campuses within the state's educational system. Boasting 13 nobel laureates and 12 MacArther fellows, UCLA developed a reputation of academic excellence through its dedication to advanced research. These factors contribute to the ROI of students who earn a degree from the Los Angeles university. The school has a wide variety of STEM degree offerings which include chemical engineering, biotechnology, and computer science.
Cost: $120,000
30 Year Net ROI: $890,700
% Aid: 61%
Average Aid Amount: $15,117
30 Years ROI with Aid: $955,200
Average Aid Amount: $10,946
30 Years ROI with Aid: $1,440,000

Source:https://www.bestcolleges.com/features/best-roi-colleges/
Source:https://www.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/documents/georgia-tech-freshman-profile-2018.pdf

Back