For Bay Area folks, cheaper to rent in Vegas and fly to work

when I was traveling more for work, there were a lot of people who live in Southern California but fly out to the BA during the weekdays. 

Difference is that those people live in California...as opposed to Las Vegas.

qwerty said:
paperboyNC said:
I guess they assume you don't sleep the 3-4 nights you are at work? Or you work somewhere that provides beds?

You fly daily

The earliest flight is a 7:35am flight on Southwest that arrives at 9:15am. By the time you get to the office it'd be after 10am. You'd also have to leave home at 6am in Vegas.  Southwest has a 4:50pm flight home (too early) and an 8:25pm (too late). United offers a 5:40pm flight. So let's say you take that. You'd have to leave the office no later than 4pm to make it to the airport on time. It lands at 7:20pm.

Every day: 6am - 8pm (14hr day). 8hrs commuting, 6hrs in the office.

Who the F comes up with this s--t?

Edit to add: Obviously this works for someone who can work from home and only go into the office one day a week - especially if their employer pays for their hotel and they can fly in the night before.

A lot of techies in the BA do not have a typical 8-5 job.  And a lot of the work can be done while on the plane or waiting at airports.

I know couple folks that travel m-th but all live here, Vegas would def be cheaper but it's so dang hot. 

paperboyNC said:

Someone who hasn't actually done it and is trying to sell houses in Vegas?

I know some do the Bay Area commute but that works better for those who are single, working consulting and have a corp paid apartment there or high enough in their field that flexibility is given

paperboyNC said:
qwerty said:
paperboyNC said:
I guess they assume you don't sleep the 3-4 nights you are at work? Or you work somewhere that provides beds?

You fly daily

The earliest flight is a 7:35am flight on Southwest that arrives at 9:15am. By the time you get to the office it'd be after 10am. You'd also have to leave home at 6am in Vegas.  Southwest has a 4:50pm flight home (too early) and an 8:25pm (too late). United offers a 5:40pm flight. So let's say you take that. You'd have to leave the office no later than 4pm to make it to the airport on time. It lands at 7:20pm.

Every day: 6am - 8pm (14hr day). 8hrs commuting, 6hrs in the office.

Edit to add: Obviously this works for someone who can work from home and only go into the office one day a week - especially if their employer pays for their hotel and they can fly in the night before.

A lot of the employees get travel stipends for living in BA...a lot of fly out Sunday night and come back Friday night...Sunday night and Friday afternoon flights are packed.

So much worse with current traffic and tsa process...
Crazy to hear about these supercommuters with family, think about the children, rather have the time spent with family. 

My hubby's company would completely buy into that.

Substitute take train to LA every day for plane to SF and THEN get on the horn at night for an hour or two to India to tell the offshore people what they are supposed to do and then fix what they did wrong and you got his job to a T.

If the economy went downhill and he got laid off, I'd shout Halleluia! Retire like I did and you'll wonder why you EVER worked.

There is that story of the google employee who lives inside of a truck he bought.  He does everything else at Googe (Eat, shower, etc). 

Saw that article as well.  A real minimalist. 
Read some articles on supercommuters, reminds me of that up in the air (or whatever it's called) with Clooney, travel is a part of life, no real home.

Back