Anyone have Tmobile?

Bullsback

Curious what the signal quality is in Irvine compared to say ATT or Verizon. I figure Verizon is best but am thinking of switching carriers and with Tmobile can get family plan for $30 / line (4 line minimum) with 10GB data per phone...add in jump for $15/month and $45 before taxes to always have the latest iphone or android or whatever anyone in the family wants.

Is service that much of a downgrade?  That or I can upgrade to Iphone 6s for $1 and renew my 2 year contract and just stay with my current carrier (Sprint..which is fine...not great not horrible but pricing is pretty similar to Tmobile plan with lease, except I have unlimited data and don't have to deal with switching).  I'm too much of a tightwad to pay Verizon rates (and my phone isn't that critical in my life...I work in an office so I'm not out traveling all over making sales to where not having signal could be critical...unless the coverage is so bad you might as well not have a phone). 

TMo is better than Sprint when it comes to LTE (I switched from Sprint to TMo specifically because of that).

But I find AT&T's coverage overall better than TMo.

That's why I'm hoping Extended LTE on the new 6s will fill in those gaps.

can't blanket and say Irvine because all carriers can say their 4g works in Irvine.  I find different pockets have differing results and that changes over time when cell towers pop up.
Best bet is to have friends with different carriers over or see what neighbors have.

AW said:
can't blanket and say Irvine because all carriers can say their 4g works in Irvine.  I find different pockets have differing results and that changes over time when cell towers pop up.
Best bet is to have friends with different carriers over or see what neighbors have.
I figure at home their isn't an issue since the new iphone's (Sprint and Tmobile) can do wifi calling so cell service at home becomes a moot point (plus where I live in Irvine, cell service for all carriers but Verizon stink...and even Verizon isn't that good...but bright side is Sprint roams on Verizon so I get the same subpar Verizon service (from a cell perspective...data not so much but I'm at home so again, not important) so it works.

I also presume driving down Jamboree (my daily commute) shouldn't be an issue and I presume at places like the Spectrum or Malls or stadiums, where you are sitting and maybe have some time to surf the web and use data, that all carriers are relatively similar. 

Switched from ATT last year, verizon the year before.

With TMo's investments over the past couple of years, the differences between the top 3 carriers are now at a street/house level.

We have 4 phones on our TMo plan (2x iPhone 6s, 2x iPhone 5s), no contracts, $135 total with 10gb data for each phone (40gb total).

T-Mobile coverage was "OK" last year, "good" earlier this year, "excellent" with the iPhone 6s.

Wi-Fi calling is seamless. The Band 12 700 Mhz they added ("extended LTE") bridges the gaps.

Just make sure you get/bring a phone that supports Band 12 and you're good. Here's the list:https://sites.google.com/site/cellularbinder/compatible-phones

I have both tmobile and ATT. Tmobile works fine in my house, ATT has zero reception until you walk out into the park. Had to get a microcell from ATT.

Had verizon for a long time. Moved to tmobile and never looked back. IMO Verizon is only worth the money if you live in the middle of nowhere. Most urban areas are covered by the other carriers.

ATT wifi calling is only on iphone. Tmobile wifi calling is only on iphone and tmobile devices (i.e. not supported on nexus, etc.)

Rice Vino said:
Here's a good way to see what cell towers cover a given area:
http://www.cellmapper.net/map

You can see that most of T-Mo's towers in Irvine have been upgraded with 700 MHz Band 12.

So question:  can I switch to TMo and get service in PP with the iPhone 6s?  My contract expires next week with Verizon....

bones said:
Rice Vino said:
Here's a good way to see what cell towers cover a given area:
http://www.cellmapper.net/map

You can see that most of T-Mo's towers in Irvine have been upgraded with 700 MHz Band 12.

So question:  can I switch to TMo and get service in PP with the iPhone 6s?  My contract expires next week with Verizon....

You have 4 towers that cover PP: 3 along the 241 and one in Woodbury. None of these shows Band 12 coverage, however.

I'd do the 7 day test drive (it's free with a credit card deposit) and see how it is.
https://explore.t-mobile.com/coverage-guarantee

They'll overnight you a 5s. Turn on WiFi calling for your house and see how it is.

Attachments

• TmoTowersPP.JPG
    TmoTowersPP.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 285
Hmmm... not penciling... $99 down for the 6s 64gb + $27 for 24 months + $60/month for 3GB individual plan + $10 for jump (optional) = $100/month.  What am I missing?  Or only a great deal if you have 4 lines?

paperboyNC said:
Bullsback said:
.add in jump for $15/month

Thought they bumped it up to $20/mo?
I thought they had the $15 special back but I might be mistaken. I know you can get 10 GIG LTE per line with unlimited calling and texting for 30/phone (which seems about as good of a deal as it gets). After you use up the 10 GB LTE, you go to 3G but never pay any overages. And streaming pandora doesn't count so I'm never going to hit that 10 GB.  It is on my list of things to do this weekend.

I might just get my Sprint phone...then go 14 days and switch to Tmobile, let them pay my ETF and then sell my Sprint phone and do the Jump. In theory it is most cost effective, but also most annoying / biggest hassle. 

bones said:
Hmmm... not penciling... $99 down for the 6s 64gb + $27 for 24 months + $60/month for 3GB individual plan + $10 for jump (optional) = $100/month.  What am I missing?  Or only a great deal if you have 4 lines?
I think you need to have family plan for it to be worthwhile. $120 for 4 lines and 10 GB LTE per line (unlimited texting / calling).  So $30/month plus if you do jump, your discounted for Iphone 6s (16 GB) is 15/month (might be $20...not sure, I thought they had $15 promotion going but might be wrong), so $45/month per line for brand new phone and you can switch phones every time a new model comes out (up to 3 times per year) without having to put more down, etc?  Seems like a pretty good deal.

Bullsback said:
bones said:
I think you need to have family plan for it to be worthwhile. $120 for 4 lines and 10 GB LTE per line (unlimited texting / calling).  So $30/month plus if you do jump, your discounted for Iphone 6s (16 GB) is 15/month (might be $20...not sure, I thought they had $15 promotion going but might be wrong), so $45/month per line for brand new phone and you can switch phones every time a new model comes out (up to 3 times per year) without having to put more down, etc?  Seems like a pretty good deal.

alright, who's got 3 kids i can borrow....

I guess I'll just stick to verizon.  Pay the contract price and keep paying my $70/month.

bones said:
Bullsback said:
bones said:

alright, who's got 3 kids i can borrow....

I guess I'll just stick to verizon.  Pay the contract price and keep paying my $70/month.
My wife & I just share with other family members, which works well and minimizes cost.

Bullsback said:
Plus if you do jump, your discounted for Iphone 6s (16 GB) is 15/month (might be $20...not sure, I thought they had $15 promotion going but might be wrong)

They brought back the $15 promotion. It ended 10/7 right before they brought back the 4 family members for $120. They had bought back in September, but not now.

Now the iPhone 6s is only $15/mo if you trade in a really good phone:https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-22281

I have Verizon is Cypress Village and the reception isn't good. Had to get a femtocell wifi extender. It works most of the time, but still drops calls.

Was wondering about T-Mobile. I don't think the reception matters at home cause don't all their smartphones have wifi calling now?

bones said:

Ouch - they just hiked the price yesterday:
http://pocketnow.com/2015/10/13/t-mobile-iphone-6s-jump-on-demand

Used to be $15 or $20 (depending on when you did the deal) for the Jump On Demand AND the phone payment.

It just got $17/month more expensive.

Back