Trouble in Troy (SC)

This shit is amazing. They should have just kept Ed Orgeron, the players would run through a wall for him and he was a great recruiter. They said Orgeron wasn't polished enough for the big bright lights of LA and the rich alumni/boosters. I think the boosters will take winning over anything else.

I'm ready to withhold my donation check until they fire Hayden :)

What I don't get it why USC keeps dipping back into the Pete Carroll era for coaches. You're USC. With location, money, history, and recruiting on your side. You should be able to get anyone to come coach.

bones said:
What I don't get it why USC keeps dipping back into the Pete Carroll era for coaches. You're USC. With location, money, history, and recruiting on your side. You should be able to get anyone to come coach.

But therein lies the problem.  Any coach walks into that job with impossibly high expectations from the press and alumni that's surely a setup for failure.  A great coach with a proven track record would have to put all of that on the line to take the job... why risk it?  Only washed-up coaches with recycled careers are willing to take that risk.

WTTCHMN said:
bones said:

But therein lies the problem.  Any coach walks into that job with impossibly high expectations from the press and alumni that's surely a setup for failure.  A great coach with a proven track record would have to put all of that on the line to take the job... why risk it?  Only washed-up coaches with recycled careers are willing to take that risk.

I don't buy this argument. This is a big time job. With a big time salary. And probably a dream job for some. The last couple choices have been completely uninspired.  That's on the AD. Rhodes scholar or not, he should probably go.

I'm really sad to see our former head coach end up in this situation.  He has a major drinking problem which he also had while up there.  I would think the additional, unrealistic expectations and pressures of his present job, divorce just was too much for someone with that addiction.  Hope he turns his life around. 

eyephone said:
USC just hired Clay Helton. One good game, and they gave him an offer - say what.

Not a USC fan but Helton is 5-2 as the head coach with a close loss to ND and a loss at Oregon.  Pretty good IMO...of course USC is going to get destroyed by Stanford.

SC hires Helton.  Translation-we sent out our feelers to the big time coaches and they were not interested. The players seem to like him and that is huge. He better win his next two games or the bickering starts anew.

Irvinecommuter said:
eyephone said:
USC just hired Clay Helton. One good game, and they gave him an offer - say what.

Not a USC fan but Helton is 5-2 as the head coach with a close loss to ND and a loss at Oregon.  Pretty good IMO...of course USC is going to get destroyed by Stanford.

Maybe SC should of wait to the end of the season to hire Helton. Christian McCaffrey had 461 all-purpose yards.

I hope USC loses the bowl game and then Alabama is going to kick our ass so hopefully helton goes 0-3 in his first three games. Top 5-10 recruiting classes year after year and  same old shitty result

Back