Google Fiber coming to Irvine

Alright, it's about time. 

Do you think all of Irvine will have it available or only elite villages? 

Probably only new neighborhoods, like u verse (Woodbury east yes, old Woodbury no)

$70 for Internet, $130 for Internet+TV.

I think I'm paying $150 currently with phone service.

Maybe I'll go with Dish's $49.99 for 2 years, Google Internet and Oomla.

Nice! 

Wonder how they going to implemented it to the existing communities and maybe not all the Irvine communities will get it.  Hope my does, finer crossed. 

I am excited. Got this email a short while ago:

BEF9V19.png

Ironically, I've been waiting for Cox to offer their gigabit for $99 a month. Numerous delays. Now I will most likely be getting Google Fiber instead, if it's available in my neighborhood, for $30 a month cheaper. Cox would have locked me in for 2 years. You snooze you lose, Cox!

Great news. One more reason to live in Irvine  :)

Hopefully this will put pressure on Cox to lower prices and speedup their deployment of Gigabit Internet.

In the areas Google has gone (most noteably KC..their initial launch point), the cable companies have all had to drastically adjust their pricing to contend.  I wonder what timing is from announcement to roll-out. I presume you are talking 2+ years. 

One article said about 1 year from invitation. Another said after city gets everything together, ready within months.

Thinking about the logistics, unless Google cuts a deal with Cox or AT&T to use some of their infrastructure, this roll-out can't be in all 'hoods.

At minimum they need to get the fiber to the hubs, then from there I think it's fair play on the coax from hub to homes.

irvinehomeowner said:
Thinking about the logistics, unless Google cuts a deal with Cox or AT&T to use some of their infrastructure, this roll-out can't be in all 'hoods.

At minimum they need to get the fiber to the hubs, then from there I think it's fair play on the coax from hub to homes.
I think they do the roll out based upon potential sign up in various neighborhoods. So when interest levels hit enough, then they go full board in that particular area. I don't think they will be using other people's infrastructure, it will be their own, but because cities have to kind of bid go through this whole process to get google, the carpet gets rolled out and makes things a lot easier for Google to implement (then it is for cable companies) and get their hubs in (and then from a hood perspective, I presume then they leverage existing wiring into houses, etc). 

Plus google has a lot of capital behind them so they can and tend to move faster then companies who are less motivated to roll out infastructure / new infastructure because they already have customers and aren't losing them.

Having google in here will be the best thing that could happen from a tech / internet / tv perspective. The pressures it will put on Cox to continue to stay relevant will be huge, imo. 

Google is also entering into the wireless business with google Fi...albeit with limited infrastructure investments (as they leverage Tmobile and Sprint signals). 

how do we get on the waiting list or sign up? I just signed a 2 year with cox but i'll pay any penalty to get google fiber

i wanted to fire COX for so long... but the second best choice is ATT which is a total internet speed suicide.
very happy to hear Google fiber is coming into irvine, i will be the first one to sign up.

oceanmonkey said:
i wanted to fire COX for so long... but the second best choice is ATT which is a total internet speed suicide.
very happy to hear Google fiber is coming into irvine, i will be the first one to sign up.

I have to say that Cox is very reliable and steady as to its service...almost never have any down time.  With that said, their customer service is terrible and pricing is equally bad.  Cannot wait for Google Fiber to, if not anything, put a fire underneath Cox.

Back