Author Topic: Google Fiber coming to Irvine  (Read 29066 times)

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 54
  • -Received: 112
Re: Google Fiber coming to Irvine
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2018, 10:19:40 AM »
The internet speed is like the engine in cars . Once you get used to the extra power / torque , hard to go back :)

I'm curious what applications you use that require such high bandwidth (ie. gigabit)?  I recently upped mine from 100->300Mbit and really don't notice any practical difference except when I back-up to my cloud service.    Did your latency improve to the point where you can see a difference when web browsing?

Online eyephone

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 283
  • -Received: 552
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2018, 10:29:01 AM »
The internet speed is like the engine in cars . Once you get used to the extra power / torque , hard to go back :)

I'm curious what applications you use that require such high bandwidth (ie. gigabit)?  I recently upped mine from 100->300Mbit and really don't notice any practical difference except when I back-up to my cloud service.    Did your latency improve to the point where you can see a difference when web browsing?

Big time day trader? Online gamer? Jk

Offline Kings

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 176
  • -Received: 192
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2018, 10:51:03 AM »

streaming stormy daniels videos  ;)

Offline fortune11

• Thanks
  • -Given: 155
  • -Received: 180
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2018, 11:24:45 AM »

Trying to keep up with these trumpsters ‘ videos and gifs on the MAGA threads :)

But seriously, when you have multiple devices on at the same time w no lag whatsoever , then you realize the value . Also if you store things on the cloud and are uploading / downloading . And gaming, as eyephone pointed out .

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »
But seriously, when you have multiple devices on at the same time w no lag whatsoever , then you realize the value . Also if you store things on the cloud and are uploading / downloading . And gaming, as eyephone pointed out .

What's your ping time with gigabit internet service?  This is the biggest factor for gaming, not really bandwidth (after a certain minimum).   Also, multiple devices with no lag is probably due to your router and proper configuration of your router.

Offline Perspective

• Thanks
  • -Given: 119
  • -Received: 152
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2018, 09:37:39 AM »
Can anyone here explain why they're adding what appears to be a new cell tower, right next to another cell tower on a hill above OH V2? That "tree" to the right is a camouflaged cell tower.

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2018, 10:02:27 AM »
Can anyone here explain why they're adding what appears to be a new cell tower, right next to another cell tower on a hill above OH V2? That "tree" to the right is a camouflaged cell tower.

Could be for a different Network Operator or for additional capacity with the existing Network Operator.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts