Author Topic: Google Fiber coming to Irvine  (Read 30469 times)

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 148
  • -Received: 77
Re: Google Fiber coming to Irvine
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 10:58:28 PM »
In my experience you are lucky to get 20-25 mbps with U-Verse. It's distant dependent, I know many who are stuck at 5-6 mbps.
That's the fake u-verse.  Usually TV isn't available with fake uverse.  It's pretty much AT&T DSL which is one of the worst.

I never had problems with the 20Mbps uverse.  The TV was way better than what Cox had to offer (quality and features).  Optimally, I'd use Cox for internet and Uverse for TV.  The next best thing is Cox for internet and DirecTv for TV.  That said, Cox internet is too expensive. 

Offline SubSolar

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 43
  • -Received: 49
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 11:49:50 PM »
In my experience you are lucky to get 20-25 mbps with U-Verse. It's distant dependent, I know many who are stuck at 5-6 mbps.
That's the fake u-verse.  Usually TV isn't available with fake uverse.  It's pretty much AT&T DSL which is one of the worst.

I never had problems with the 20Mbps uverse.  The TV was way better than what Cox had to offer (quality and features).  Optimally, I'd use Cox for internet and Uverse for TV.  The next best thing is Cox for internet and DirecTv for TV.  That said, Cox internet is too expensive.

Well, U-Verse was supposed to be a competitor to Verizon FIOS but it pales in comparison. 20 mbps isn't even what the government considers "broadband!" I have Cox for Internet and DirecTV for TV now. Cox isn't that bad on price, I get around 120 mbps for $70 I think. Supposedly $99 for gigabit when it comes out. Although I'll probably ditch both for Google Fiber which in other areas has been $70 for Internet and $130 for Internet+TV.

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 148
  • -Received: 77
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2015, 01:09:50 AM »
Cox isn't that bad on price, I get around 120 mbps for $70 I think.
$70 is a lot, though.  The prices have slowly crept up from $30 to $40 to $50 to $70.  Yes it's 120Mbps, but I'd be happy with 30Mbps.  Netflix says it uses 5Mbps per HD stream. 

I'm not sure how noticeable the benefit is of going from 30Mbps to 120Mbps unless you are doing torrents or UltraHD streams.  $50/mo seems quite reasonable to me.

Supposedly $99 for gigabit when it comes out. Although I'll probably ditch both for Google Fiber which in other areas has been $70 for Internet and $130 for Internet+TV.
I'd consider that if it has the channels I like in HD.  I expect it all to be HD.

jmoney74

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2015, 06:46:26 AM »
Cox is pricey and more expensive than say twc.  Cant wait for fiber.

Offline paperboyNC

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 311
  • -Received: 245
  • Portola Springs
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2015, 07:34:16 AM »
Google Fiber TV package looks awesome!

Offline SubSolar

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 43
  • -Received: 49
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2015, 09:49:43 AM »
Cox isn't that bad on price, I get around 120 mbps for $70 I think.
$70 is a lot, though.  The prices have slowly crept up from $30 to $40 to $50 to $70.  Yes it's 120Mbps, but I'd be happy with 30Mbps.  Netflix says it uses 5Mbps per HD stream. 

I'm not sure how noticeable the benefit is of going from 30Mbps to 120Mbps unless you are doing torrents or UltraHD streams.  $50/mo seems quite reasonable to me.

Supposedly $99 for gigabit when it comes out. Although I'll probably ditch both for Google Fiber which in other areas has been $70 for Internet and $130 for Internet+TV.
I'd consider that if it has the channels I like in HD.  I expect it all to be HD.

Well, you're supposed to have 25 mbps for each 4k stream. I have one 4K TV and two 4K monitors. Another 4K TV by end of year for the bedroom coming. Also everyone plays online video games and streams to iPads and laptops. But I'd say after say 100 to 150 mbps, the rest is just bragging rights, like having a 1,000 horsepower car.

But if you're already paying $70 for 120 mbps, why wouldn't you want 1,000 mbps for $0 to $30 more a month?

jmoney74

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2015, 11:16:25 AM »
anybody got an update on this?

unbelievable..  my buddy accidentally typed in the wrong CC number for his payment with a new credit card.. Cox charged him $25.  He called in and they told him a lot of companies do this.  the f? 

Offline B2FiNiTY

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 7
  • -Received: 30
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2015, 02:09:38 AM »
wow. never heard of that.

Offline test

• Thanks
  • -Given: 8
  • -Received: 402
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2015, 11:02:14 AM »
anybody got an update on this?

unbelievable..  my buddy accidentally typed in the wrong CC number for his payment with a new credit card.. Cox charged him $25.  He called in and they told him a lot of companies do this.  the f? 

Cox is monopolized theft.  When you call them for a credit they will instead double the charge and say it was done by mistake, then when you try to get that credited their system will keep declining it.

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 57
  • -Received: 119
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2016, 02:35:14 PM »
Saw some guys working on measuring the underground conduits.  They have been tasked to provide drawings of the underground lines in various neighborhoods.  They have done Woodbury, Stonegate and NW2 so far.  These conduits could be used to run fiber through them. 

The worker I spoke to is a field worker so I am making my own assumptions.

Offline iacrenter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 382
  • -Received: 572
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2016, 05:57:28 PM »
I would be surprised if those people were working for Google.  I think we are probably a year plus away.

According to the OC Register in 2015:

"The city must provide Google Fiber a list of assurances – such as access to existing equipment and obstacle-free permitting – in an effort to persuade the company to install its network. Then city officials wait.

In other cities that use Google Fiber, the wait time from invite to confirmation was about a year. So far, no proposed Google Fiber city has been later rejected."

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 57
  • -Received: 119
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2016, 10:24:59 PM »
I would be surprised if those people were working for Google.  I think we are probably a year plus away.

These guys definitely didn't work for google.  I think google wanted to know the layout of the communities and how much fiber needed to be put in.  City "lost" or never got the plans so now they have to hire a 3rd party company to manually map out these underground conduits.

Online aquabliss

• Thanks
  • -Given: 163
  • -Received: 660
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2016, 11:56:05 PM »
Hurry up Google!  Cox just raised their prices again.  Now $73/mo for 50Mbps.

jmoney74

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2016, 06:54:37 AM »

Call in and say ur switching to att

Offline paperboyNC

• Thanks
  • -Given: 311
  • -Received: 245
  • Portola Springs
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2016, 02:35:39 PM »

Check if Gigapower is available. $75/mo for 300mbps up and down.
https://www.att.com/shop/u-verse/gigapower.html

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: The Investigation by morekaos
[Yesterday at 09:20:53 PM]

Re: KB Home Genoa at OH by talkirvine
[Yesterday at 09:05:54 PM]

Re: KB Home Genoa at OH by qwerty