Author Topic: Google Fiber coming to Irvine  (Read 31425 times)

Offline zubs

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 64
  • -Received: 347
Re: Google Fiber coming to Irvine
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 10:49:17 AM »
Isn't there a google office on Jamboree?  It's probably going there first.

Offline djnick

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 4
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 10:53:30 AM »
how do we get on the waiting list or sign up? I just signed a 2 year with cox but i'll pay any penalty to get google fiber

Offline aquabliss

• Thanks
  • -Given: 165
  • -Received: 668
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 10:57:32 AM »
how do we get on the waiting list or sign up? I just signed a 2 year with cox but i'll pay any penalty to get google fiber

Go here and input your address:
https://fiber.google.com/about/irvine/

It'll say not yet available but then the next screen will ask for your email and they'll send you updates via email regarding availability in the future.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline oceanmonkey

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 10
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 12:08:52 PM »
i wanted to fire COX for so long... but the second best choice is ATT which is a total internet speed suicide.
very happy to hear Google fiber is coming into irvine, i will be the first one to sign up.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 583
  • -Received: 504
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 01:02:33 PM »
i wanted to fire COX for so long... but the second best choice is ATT which is a total internet speed suicide.
very happy to hear Google fiber is coming into irvine, i will be the first one to sign up.

I have to say that Cox is very reliable and steady as to its service...almost never have any down time.  With that said, their customer service is terrible and pricing is equally bad.  Cannot wait for Google Fiber to, if not anything, put a fire underneath Cox.

jmoney74

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 02:42:47 PM »

were still at least a year out.. that's if/when Irvine approves Google to do whatever they want.

Offline AW

• Thanks
  • -Given: 45
  • -Received: 166
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 02:50:32 PM »
And they're hiring. 
There's a couple google fiber related postings on their job site

jmoney74

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 07:31:29 AM »
Man it would be exciting once it comes in.. bye bye Cox and your sky high prices.. F Uverse and it's "newer technology yet lower speeds". 

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 148
  • -Received: 80
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 11:51:29 PM »
Hope they allow it here.  Many parts of Irvine can't get real ATT Uverse.  They are stuck with fake Uverse which is pretty terrible and slow. 

Real Uverse is pretty great.  It's only available where their TV packages are available.  It's not as fast as Cox, good enough.  Not a fan of the increasing cost of Cox for internet.

jmoney74

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 07:35:29 AM »
Hope they allow it here.  Many parts of Irvine can't get real ATT Uverse.  They are stuck with fake Uverse which is pretty terrible and slow. 

Real Uverse is pretty great.  It's only available where their TV packages are available.  It's not as fast as Cox, good enough.  Not a fan of the increasing cost of Cox for internet.
[/quote

What is real and what is fake?  A few of my friends out here PS and SG have TV service.. their uVerse internet sucked.  Switched to Cox. 

Offline spootieho

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 148
  • -Received: 80
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2015, 09:41:52 PM »
Portola Springs should be real uverse.  What was bad about the internet?  Was it not getting advertised speeds?

How about the tv service?

I can't help but wonder if the uverse bans to in the other parts of Irvine affect things.

jmoney74

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2015, 09:45:40 PM »
Portola Springs should be real uverse.  What was bad about the internet?  Was it not getting advertised speeds?

How about the tv service?

I can't help but wonder if the uverse bans to in the other parts of Irvine affect things.

Their max speed was about 20. Couldn't get anything faster.

Offline SubSolar

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 43
  • -Received: 49
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2015, 09:54:12 PM »
In my experience you are lucky to get 20-25 mbps with U-Verse. It's distant dependent, I know many who are stuck at 5-6 mbps.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

jmoney74

jmoney74

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2015, 07:51:34 AM »
In my experience you are lucky to get 20-25 mbps with U-Verse. It's distant dependent, I know many who are stuck at 5-6 mbps.

Right.. I think that's what happened.  The highest advertised package was around 20.. but he was only getting half that.  He would often get annoyed because simple streaming videos online kept pausing.. these were just clips like on ESPN. 

Offline SubSolar

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 43
  • -Received: 49
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2015, 08:00:29 AM »

Right.. I think that's what happened.  The highest advertised package was around 20.. but he was only getting half that.  He would often get annoyed because simple streaming videos online kept pausing.. these were just clips like on ESPN.

Yeah, they will give you the theoretical maximum but it's not a good prediction. DSL and U-Verse are the worst in my experience. Cable and FIOS the best.

I had many clients move forced to move from AT&T DSL to U-Verse and things actually got worse. So bad they couldn't even keep a reliable connection at 3 mbps.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts