Haggen already closing

nosuchreality said:
How's your Haggen doing? 

Driving home tonight, we saw the signs up announcing the store closing for one of the Tustin locations.  How many are closing?

Looks like I'm dosing announced Aug 14.  Here's the list.http://media2.haggen.com.s3.amazonaws.com/temp/2015-08-14_List_of_Haggen_Stores_to_Close.pdf

The Orchard Hills Plaza Haggen is also closing. I hope we get another grocery store there because making a quick grocery store run to that plaza was very convenient.

I wonder if TIC will sweeten the lease deal to get a grocery store ASAP to their Beverly Hills of irvine village.

qwerty said:
I wonder if TIC will sweeten the lease deal to get a grocery store ASAP to their Beverly Hills of irvine village.

Ironically, two upscale grocery stores have now failed there.  Perhaps a Stater Bros. would do better.

#OH-Value-Village

WTTCHMN said:
qwerty said:

Ironically, two upscale grocery stores have now failed there.  Perhaps a Stater Bros. would do better.

#OH-Value-Village

I wouldn't really call Pavillions upscale. Maybe if they do bring a truly upscale grocery store there like Gelson's or Mother's Market or Whole foods it will do better. What I really would love there is a Trader Joes  ;D

Paris said:
WTTCHMN said:
qwerty said:

#OH-Value-Village

I wouldn't really call Pavillions upscale. Maybe if they do bring a truly upscale grocery store there like Gelson's or Mother's Market or Whole foods it will do better. What I really would love there is a Trader Joes  ;D

Pavilions is the upscale version of Vons.

Haggen was their own worst enemy. They aren't closing just that one store and not even just this area.

Pavilions was bought by Albertsons and they were forced to choose which stores to divest. It had to be either/or the Pavilions in OH or the Albies on Irvine/Culver. Pavilions rent was probably more so out it went.

NO WAY Stater Brothers will ever go to that center. Irvine Company would rather have the store vacant than reduce the lease rate and soon as more homes get built they raise the rates on centers that will benefit. (Office Depot in the District rate was DOUBLING due to the houses being built around that area. They were going to close some stores anyway but even if they weren't they would have closed it........... according to the manager who moved to the Campus location).

Stater Brothers niche is lower rent centers with high density homes. That's why they end up in some seedy areas.

Paris said:
WTTCHMN said:
qwerty said:

#OH-Value-Village

I don't think Trader Joes will consider that location.

aquabliss said:
Just put a Wal-Mart in there and be done with it.

Hmm- maybe a neighborhood Wal-Mart. (Usually that concept sells produce, meat, can food, frozen food like a typical market)

But I don't think Walmart would want to pay the high rent. (I'm guessing the price per sq ft is high?)

Ralphs is the only potential option.  And I'd think TIC would have to cut them a sweet deal for it to work.  I can't see a Gelson's going their (too big of a store) and similarly I don't think Whole Foods would work their (not enough people...Whole Foods benefits greatly from more urban vibe...need higher density to succeed (not to mention they make a fortune on the lunch rush and I'm not sure how great the lunch rush would be in OH...I suppose you have Northwood high students, maybe). 

Just got back from NY. They had an Aldi in the area I was in. There is simply no way Aldi would work anywhere in Irvine. The store had a clear "Dollar Tree / 99 Cent" vibe to it. Blegh.

Our local Haggen's is closing. The site in Mission Viejo had Boys, Ralphs, Von's, now Haggen blow out of there. We could use another TJ's or one of the newer Whole Foods mini store concepts. Smart and Final just took over a Ralphs not far away, so that's not going to work. The site is too small for a Costco which the RSM area really needs.

Haggen was never going to survive at that location - much less anywhere else IMHO. Two indicators: Beer/Wine prices went up 20% once they moved in. Second - all of the "fresh salsa's" were bottles of Pace Picante. Bottom line: they didn't follow the one basic rule of retail: Know Your Audience.

My .02c

Back