6908BEF0-2EC9-4990-BEE9-2B95227FD0B4_zpslyrntd6s.jpg

spicy green chili shio ramen

6BF531D6-A1C6-4AAC-B0C1-E5B1075B98DD_zps6lugkp0b.jpg

chicken karaage

D195C9EE-4CD7-4FD9-8573-DD1A18D87058_zpsro1skppa.jpg

Chashu Ramen

4753F1F0-6BD8-4427-9617-456CE0CF3D47_zpsb7u2hyxx.jpg

Gyoza

Another ramen shop in Costa Mesa's "Little Tokyo" area.  This place features Kitakata ramen.  Never had it before, looks promising.  The signature bowl is the Chashu above.  Lots of protein (or fat since it's pork belly), good thick cuts of melt in our mouth chashu.  Not good for cholesterol obviously, but once a month should be ok.  Broth is not as salty as the traditional ramen base.  It actually has a mild sweet flavor.  Not bad.  Chicken karaage is the winner here.  $3 for deliciously fried japanese chicken.  Don't know how they get that hardy crust on it, different than other chicken karaage, thumbs up.  My daughter loved the gyoza, didn't get to taste and it was half gone before I could snap a pic, that means its that good.  The last bowl we got was the green chili shio ramen.  It was kinda meh.  Peppery spicy but the broth was too salty and had a instant noodle taste to it.  Almost like something I get from 99 Ranch, it doesn't taste Japanese, more like a chinese bowl of noodles.  Anyways, didn't like it, don't recommend it.  The noodles for both ramen is what they claim to fame.  Some sort of aged noodle.  It was ok, wished it was more al dente or 'q q' like the say in chinese.  We would definitely come back, get the signature cha shu, some fried chicken, draft Asahi, makes a delicious meal.  Parking sucks, be patient, just squat and wait.  Don't mess with the liquor store parking.

I like the Green Chili Shio Ramen and the Katsu Curry. Only problem is the 45 minute prep time for online orders.

I've been going to Hako for their katsu, pricier than the one in Mistua, but I like it better.

iacrenter said:
I like the Green Chili Shio Ramen and the Katsu Curry. Only problem is the 45 minute prep time for online orders.

At least it has a real and easy to use online ordering platform unlike Santouka.

akkord said:
I've been going to Hako for their katsu, pricier than the one in Mistua, but I like it better.

It's about 2x the cost.  Hako is good, but not THAT good compared to Misasa (in Mitsuwa).

iacrenter said:
I ate lunch at the Irvine location today. Still great ramen, and no wait for a table.

Yes Irvine on has less wait time and better parking than CM.

Speaking of taste, I had a chance to dine in at the original Kitakata location in Japan few years back and it tasted the same as the US locations. Definitely kudo on the US chefs for that.

Back