Irvine 'Living Wage' Rule - What is your take

I hope our county?s clergy will find time to research issues and get the facts before signing letters that don?t advance the local economy, local jobs, or protect our struggling homeowners, many raising children, who are working extra hours to pay their bills because of these types of misguided ordinances.

Homeowners in Irvine are not earning minimum wage... They are renting in affordable housing, probably with multiple families. $9/hour puts you so far below the poverty line... Hell even McDonalds pays a minimum of $10 an hour.

tentfox said:
I hope our county?s clergy will find time to research issues and get the facts before signing letters that don?t advance the local economy, local jobs, or protect our struggling homeowners, many raising children, who are working extra hours to pay their bills because of these types of misguided ordinances.

Homeowners in Irvine are not earning minimum wage... They are renting in affordable housing, probably with multiple families. $9/hour puts you so far below the poverty line... Hell even McDonalds pays a minimum of $10 an hour.

You're absolutely right, but she is pandering to her Republican voter base whose priorities are different. And honestly, I think most TI posters would choose lower taxes over helping laborers on the streets of Irvine with poverty.

Every one is selfish and looks out for themselves. You'll pay lower taxes and then still nickel and dime the poor bastard who cuts your lawn or cleans your house. We got our baseboards painted by the same guy who did our neighbors. The painter quoted us 40 more than our neighbors paid. It was still a very reasonable price and I had no problem paying him the extra 40. Could I have squeezed the guy? Probably, but he could definitely use the $40 more than me.

HMart said:
tentfox said:

You're absolutely right, but she is pandering to her Republican voter base whose priorities are different. And honestly, I think most TI posters would choose lower taxes over helping laborers on the streets of Irvine with poverty.

I don't...lowering taxes does very little to help the poor (if that is what you are focused on).

qwerty said:
Every one is selfish and looks out for themselves. You'll pay lower taxes and then still nickel and dime the poor bastard who cuts your lawn or cleans your house. We got our baseboards painted by the same guy who did our neighbors. The painter quoted us 40 more than our neighbors paid. It was still a very reasonable price and I had no problem paying him the extra 40. Could I have squeezed the guy? Probably, but he could definitely use the $40 more than me.

You should have squeezed him then tipped him $40... He'd probably be a lot more excited and you're feel superb.

aquabliss said:
qwerty said:

You should have squeezed him then tipped him $40... He'd probably be a lot more excited and you're feel superb.

Sadistically manipulative. But me like it.

This topic is similar to the other minimum wage one.

Let the market dictate the wages, just like it does with everyone else who makes more than the minimum.

irvinehomeowner said:
This topic is similar to the other minimum wage one.

Let the market dictate the wages, just like it does with everyone else who makes more than the minimum.
I could replumb my house to dump raw sewage in the street, but people seem to understand the problem with that.  Low wages are raw sewage and paying the lowest possible wage is no different than dumping sewage.

No one and I mean no one deserves $15.00 an hour to flip a burger...I don't care how good it is...period.

That's really irrelevant.  We are a 21st century first world country with expectations the our communities and society has a set minimum level of services, health care and safety.  Hence we ave police forces serving all, pollution rules requiring industry and power to minimize or capture their polluting by products.  Really, electricty could be way cheaper without the regulations but we all realize what that means.

Low skill labor is the same. The $15 isn't what the person's skills demand, it is the societal cost of having a person in this region of the 1st world where we aren't accepting slums like outside or Rio and Caracas.

Businesses that rely on low cost labor are exploiting the public cost portion on low wages and transferring the costs to society.  It's much like a predatory pricing model against businesses that require marginally higher commitments to build a more sustainable business are driven out by the exploitive labor model.  Much like renewalable energy can't compete against raw coal power unless coal is forced to account for its externalizer costs.

If you don't believe it, do a thought exercise, what happens to all those high skilled jobs Irvinites rely on if we remove all immigration barriers?  Hinit, their wages fall to about $20/hr.

Need to merge the 2 threads.  I believe the need for a min wage, I've seen firsthand on countries like what ^ said on living standards where no min wage exists, income inequality is huge.

I just don't like the idea of such a large increase so quickly especially for small businesses

Living wages is not equal to minimum wage.

Minimum wage is just an entry level paid and it is not suppose to be a career wage nor raise to the level of living wages.  One suppose to start at minimum wage and gradually rise his or her earning to living wages level. 

What is a living wage in Irvine for a family of 4?  $60/hour per parent?  It feels that way...

morekaos said:
No one and I mean no one deserves $15.00 an hour to flip a burger...I don't care how good it is...period.
Why not?

Irvinecommuter said:
I don't...lowering taxes does very little to help the poor (if that is what you are focused on).
Depends.  I'd be less frugal with my money if I wasn't taxed so damn much.  Any additional income is taxed well over 50%.

aquabliss said:
I kinda do that.  I don't squeeze them but if they undercharge, I normally tip really well where I end up paying how much I expected to pay.  $10-$40 tips.  Gave someone a $20 tip in Garden Grove a couple of weeks ago and, wow, I never saw someone so grateful before.

nosuchreality said:
Businesses that rely on low cost labor are exploiting the public cost portion on low wages and transferring the costs to society.  It's much like a predatory pricing model against businesses that require marginally higher commitments to build a more sustainable business are driven out by the exploitive labor model.  Much like renewalable energy can't compete against raw coal power unless coal is forced to account for its externalizer costs.
I get your point, and it's a valid one.  I removed a lot of what you said that I agree with.  That said...  To say that the "businesses are exploiting the public" is liberal brainwashing hogwash. 

Those businesses that pay low wages aren't necessarily exploiting the public.  Some might be, but those are likely exceptions.  With higher wages, many of those businesses might no longer be feasible. 

As wages go up, costs often go up.  As costs go up, prices have to adjust.  If prices can't adjust, then businesses move out of town or close.  If prices can adjust, then the companies will adapt. 

Businesses might relocate or start outsourcing or switch to automation...  Customers might shop even more at Amazon if the price difference becomes substantial.  What happens to jobs then?

Back