After school programs

Crispy3

Hi Guys,

My daughter is starting TK this fall @ Peters Canyon (moving from LePort Montessori OH). I am trying to find some after school programs for her as the CDC at Peters Canyon doesn't look too appealing to me.

Anyone have any suggestions? Wife doesn't mind driving her around for multiple activities.

If Missus can afford the time, I suggest you consider a la carte: a dance, a music, a sport plus a useless secondary language. You've in Irvine so it is never too early to start the routine. In fact you might already be late.

It has just dawned on me, the afternoon traffic between 3 and 6 is dominated by parents chauffeuring their kids. No wonder most of them are grumpy and edgy.

Thing is we also have a 2 year old boy.. so it is tough to drive one of them around unless the other one is in some class for a couple of hours at a time.

I suggest a Hispanic nanny.  Before you know it little one would be tri-lingual, all the better for college application.

I am seriously considering to have her attend another year of Montessori instead... I can't seem to find anything that fits well. Northwood Montessori just told her her spot is no longer avail and I doubt Le Port kept her spot... the search begins again...

We kept our kids in Montessori because of the smaller classes and better teacher:student ratio.

TK/K is more instruction at Montessori vs the half days in public school too.

Crispy3 said:
I am seriously considering to have her attend another year of Montessori instead... I can't seem to find anything that fits well. Northwood Montessori just told her her spot is no longer avail and I doubt Le Port kept her spot... the search begins again...

A lot of people do private kindergarten for that reason.  Hard to go from 6 hrs of school to 3. And then there's that funky 10:30 start if you get the afternoon K session.  You should be able to find a private K spot somewhere. GL.

[quote author=irvinehomeowner .

[/quote]

For us Oldies what is TK? Since we are on the subject of abbreviations what is "FOB"?

Do public, you paid for it.  More variety of kids, more life lessons and possibly lifelong friends.  If your wife is stay home, don't waste money with Montescrewu.  Don't feel pressured by the private schools, money is number 1 to them and they lose the advantage/leverage with parents once public school is an option.  Don't buy into their 'one more year private kinder is mind opening BS'.  Go public and if it doesn't work out go private.  They're not gonna refuse a $1500/month tuition. 

Irvine Dream said:
[quote author=irvinehomeowner .

For us Oldies what is TK? Since we are on the subject of abbreviations what is "FOB"?
[/quote]

Transitional kindergarten for those kids who don't make the 9/1 cutoff. It's basically a bullshit year followed by another bullshit year of kindergarten :)

[quote author=bones

PS. Damn it ID. You didn't quote properly again.
[/quote]

Yup, as soon as I posted it I realized it and even tried to correct it.  See how much fear you induce bones; you have nothing to fear, it is me who fears you

Irvine Dream said:
[quote author=bones

PS. Damn it ID. You didn't quote properly again.

Yup, as soon as I posted it I realized it and even tried to correct it.  See how much fear you induce bones; you have nothing to fear, it is me who fears you
[/quote] [/quote]

Le sigh. And again. I would fix it for you but a pita from my phone.

ps9 said:
Do public, you paid for it.  More variety of kids, more life lessons and possibly lifelong friends.  If your wife is stay home, don't waste money with Montescrewu.  Don't feel pressured by the private schools, money is number 1 to them and they lose the advantage/leverage with parents once public school is an option.  Don't buy into their 'one more year private kinder is mind opening BS'.  Go public and if it doesn't work out go private.  They're not gonna refuse a $1500/month tuition.

It is tough going from a 6 hr schedule to a 3 hr schedule... not to mention a 10:1 teacher:kid ratio to a 20-30:1

$1500 is bullshit indeed.. and I did move to irvine for the school district. But you can't even get in anytime you want for $1500 a month. I just called 3 different Montessori schools (not including 2 at-home based Montessori programs) and no one has a spot open.. if public school doesn't work out then I have no other options..

Anyway.. I have already decided that money is not going to be a deciding factor.. and I don't even care about my kid learning anything academic related until later.. I just want to find a place that can help her develop socially, build self-confidence and learn how to deal with conflicts.

My daughter constantly hits and scratches other kids whenever she feels wronged in anyway and after a year of Montessori it does not seem like it is getting better. We do not spoil her by any means and I would say we are actually a LOT stricter than most parents. Having a 2.5 year old little brother does not help either as sibling rivalry is probably peaking around this age. On top of all this, my wife is not the most patient person (spend a few days with my kids and you won't blame her) and we both agree that the current situation is not good for our kids.. This is why I have come to the conclusion to continue Montessori for another year.. hopefully this is just a phase for my daughter.

Maybe I can go sell a kidney to pay for this..

Been a LONG time since I had kids (IUSD had a preschool-K Montessori that was $250 per month, $500 for afterschool care and half price for second kids)....... that's how LONG ago so obviously I'm not in tune with what is going on with kids nowadays but have you considered trying to find someone studying to be a teacher to come to your home in the afternoons?

My youngest daughter called herself a nanny because she was kind of a Mary Poppins person without any housekeeping duties for a family when she was a student at CSUF. She got paid pretty well (I think $20 per hour in cash about 6-7 years ago). She took care of an older child around 8 or so but also two younger ones, helped them with their homework and took them on outings on school holidays, took them  to the park, etc. I am pretty sure they played with other kids while she watched them as well. When she started, they had behavioral issues but somehow she got them in line. She drove herself to their home in the afternoons.

When she graduated from college and got a teaching job (2nd grade) their mom and all the kids cried. 

Ready2Downsize said:
Been a LONG time since I had kids (IUSD had a preschool-K Montessori that was $250 per month, $500 for afterschool care and half price for second kids)....... that's how LONG ago so obviously I'm not in tune with what is going on with kids nowadays but have you considered trying to find someone studying to be a teacher to come to your home in the afternoons?

My youngest daughter called herself a nanny because she was kind of a Mary Poppins person without any housekeeping duties for a family when she was a student at CSUF. She got paid pretty well (I think $20 per hour in cash about 6-7 years ago). She took care of an older child around 8 or so but also two younger ones, helped them with their homework and took them on outings on school holidays, took them  to the park, etc. I am pretty sure they played with other kids while she watched them as well. When she started, they had behavioral issues but somehow she got them in line. She drove herself to their home in the afternoons.

When she graduated from college and got a teaching job (2nd grade) their mom and all the kids cried.

I would love to have a Mary Poppins at home.. but I think since my daughter is having behavior issues, it would be good for her to be involved and socialize with other kids. A classroom environment would probably be best for her to grow in. I am considering regular preschools with out the Montessori name or price tag. Part of the reason is that I think teachers in overpriced preschools are less strict because they want to keep the kids/parents happy. It is a shame because I really do like the Montessori program and philosophy.

Crispy3 said:
Part of the reason is that I think teachers in overpriced preschools are less strict because they want to keep the kids/parents happy. It is a shame because I really do like the Montessori program and philosophy.

It really depends on which Montessori and sometimes within the Montessori, which teacher.  Just like it is at any preschool or public school.  You really have to find the right fit for your child and sometimes you may have to fight for it.  $1500/month doesn't magically solve issues.

Ready2Downsize said:

Another IUSD to CSUF story. (No offense intended, just pointing out IUSD doesn't mean a gaurantee to a "brand name college"

What does your daughter do now?

Back