cat 5 data module

Are you talking about the cat5 ethernet in every room option on a new house? If so all should go into the master bedroom closet panel where you put a router and switch to connect everything.

SubSolar said:
Are you talking about the cat5 ethernet in every room option on a new house? If so all should go into the master bedroom closet panel where you put a router and switch to connect everything.

Yes, i am talking about cat 5 ethernet.  how did you setup yours?  i assume you cable modem is the master bedroom closet.  what else did you put in the closet?  do you have wifi router?  if yes, how did you set it up?

Just go to Amazon and get a TP-Link or trendnet 8 or 16 gigabit switch (depending on number of room) and a netgear nighthawk x4.

SubSolar said:
Just go to Amazon and get a TP-Link or trendnet 8 or 16 gigabit switch (depending on number of room) and a netgear nighthawk x4.

so, i assume your master bedroom closet has cable modem and gigabit switch.  then one of outside room/kitchen has the wifi-router.  is that correct?

Most people put the router in the closet. You can put the router in any room, however you will have to make sure that that room's ethernet cable goes from the wan/Internet port of the router and on the other side (master bedroom closet) it goes to he modem.

i was hoping cable modem connect to switch in master bedroom.  then one line goes outside living room; one lines go to garage and another line goes to kitchen when router is.  is this possible? 

yaliu07 said:
i was hoping cable modem connect to switch in master bedroom.  then one line goes outside living room; one lines go to garage and another line goes to kitchen when router is.  is this possible?

It's a simple process. I think you need to call J$ to set it up for you.  :D

yaliu07 said:

Well, you want the modem to connect to the Internet port of the router ideally. Then another line goes from any of the other router ports to the switch and then everything else connects to the switch.

I have my router and cable modem downstairs in the living room next to the TV. Then the router connects to the wall which goes to the master bedroom closet and switch. All the other rooms connect to the switch.

yaliu07 said:

You need two routers. One connected to modem in master bedroom. Then it's output ports can go directly to each room, or another wired/wireless router or switch. You must connect 1 router to the modem to share/split the internet connection.

Or buy a modem/router combo to put in the master closet so that it can split to the different rooms.  I then have my main wifi router in the loft area and have secondary access point on other rooms.

I have this one:  http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-DPC3825-Wireless-Residential-Gateway/dp/B00L6HBRO4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432054437&sr=8-1&keywords=cisco+dpc3825

The wifi signal is bad but it was given to me free by Cox and I have secondary access points on several rooms so don't really need the wifi signal of the main modem/router.

it is probably better to keep modem and router separated. As you can upgrade individually.

One setup example I have in mind:

cable modem -> router 1 (non-wireless)

Then the router 1 output ports can go to many places.

router 1 -> LAN connection in a room -> wired device (i.e. streaming media player like Roku)

router 1 -> LAN connection in a room -> WIFI router 1 (upstairs)

router 1 -> LAN connection in a room -> WIFI router 2 (downstairs)

router 1 -> LAN connection in a room -> WIFI router 3 (yard)

Back