Curious Question about School Districts?

panda

If you own and live in Santa Ana as your primary residence, but own one or two rental properties in Irvine? Are you allowed to send your kids to the Irvine School District legally? I guess since you are paying Irvine property taxes it shouldn't be an issue. Anybody know what the rules are? I am sort of curious to know how BKShopr worked the system on that one?

Panda said:
If you own and live in Santa Ana as your primary residence, but own one or two rental properties in Irvine? Are you allowed to send your kids to the Irvine School District legally? I guess since you are paying Irvine property taxes it shouldn't be an issue. Anybody know what the rules are? I am sort of curious to know how BKShopr worked the system on that one?

BKShopr's daughter lives with her mom who lives in Irvine/Tustin area.

Panda said:
Anybody know what the rules are?

From the Irvine Unified website (http://www.iusd.org/enrollment/RequiredDocuments.html):

Verification of residency inside IUSD attendance area of parent, licensed foster parent, or California Superior Court-appointed legal guardian. For initial enrollment,parent or guardian must provide two documents from the list below to support the residency verification form and the residency affidavit. (P.O. Box addresses are NOT accepted)

Current Electric bill (both parts, top & bottom, in English - click here to see sample) or verification of electrical service connection.*
Current Southern California Gas bill (both parts, top & bottom, in English - click here to see sample) or verification of gas service connection.*
Current Cable bill (both parts, top & bottom, in English - click here to see sample)
Current Official Property Tax Forms or Income Tax Correspondence (The address to which these documents were mailed must match the address that is being used to establish residency)
Current Water/ (both parts, top & bottom, in English - click here to see sample) or verification of water service connection.*
Current Waste Management Bill (both parts, top & bottom, in English - click here to see sample)
Current Payroll Stub (both name and address must appear on payroll stub)
Current Social Services documents
UCI Housing; an official UCI document asserting the person resides in student housing, which usually covers gas and electric.
If you are a renter and do not pay utilities because it is included in the rent, we will need a letter from the lessor and/or a copy of the rental agreement stating that utilities are included.
In the case of purchasing a home under construction, a New Communities K-12 Enrollment Address Verification form may be obtained at the sales office and will be accepted as temporary residency verification.
* Note: In the event a utility service connection is used as proof of residency, then a utility bill (both parts, in English) must be provided within 45 days to assure continued enrollment.

-IrvineRealtor

If you are a landlord... and you look at the above list... it's easy enough to provide at least 2 of those documents which I'm sure some do.

So to answer Panda's question, it is possible to own rental property in Irvine but not actually live in Irvine to attend their schools. You just didn't hear it from me.

Sounds doable, I was told by my co-workers that our kids could attend Troy HS despite where I lived since I work in Fullerton.
My hope is that we can live in Irvine, and still have the option to send our kids to their choice of HS.
I heard Troy has students attending as far as Riverside.

ch said:
I heard Troy has students attending as far as Riverside.

troy high is a magnet school and if the student can pass it's "qaulification" test you may be accepted (not sure of any other qualifications)

Back