Coyote

yaliu07

copy and paste from pavilion park bulletin board for FYI

I was at the park with my kids tonight and a coyote quietly came very close to us (8 feet away) when we were sitting down playing sand.
When I noticed the coyote was looking at me and my 4 year old son, I got up and picked up my son and quickly walked away. The coyote came more closer and keep following us. I felt that it was getting ready to attack us, I then scream at him but he still try to come toward to us. I kept yelling at it and he backed up a feet and still wouldn't leave. My boyfriend heard me screaming he ran to us and scared the coyote away. The coyote then run to the walk path across from the park. When the coyote was passing by my house (at the end of loneflower street), it saw my nanny and my 1.5 yrs old daughter, the coyote stopped and went toward to them. My boyfriend ran all the way to my house from the park to try to protect them, finally the coyote went away when my boyfriend got closer.
It was very dangerous. This is the second time we got approached by coyote this week. The first time was Friday around 10:30pm at the park. and it was a larger size coyote. Today, Sunday was around 8:30 pm when there are still many people playing basketball and walking at the park. This time was a mid size coyote. They all came from the end of the walk pass across from the park. .
Everyone who has small children and pets, please be very carful.

Yaliu, I'm pretty sure the coyotes are living in the dry area of alongside the path that leads to the playground (between the Springhouse and Beachwood models). 

This is a tough one.  While we have to put the safety of ourselves and our children as a priority, the coyotes were clearly there before us and they are obviously having trouble finding enough food for themselves and their families to survive and they would have no idea where to relocate on their own.

The best solution would be for animal control to come and relocate them but I'm sure any that are found will be put down.  We see them as violent predators but imagine if we were in a similar situation trying to find food for our family to survive and we have nowhere else to go.

I'm certainly not Mr. PETA by any means but I can't help but feel a bit for them.  That being said, if the safety of our children is at risk (which it appears so), that has to take priority over animal rights.

None have attacked yet but it's only a matter of time.

I thought you can't control coyote population by killing them, the surviving ones produce more pups.  Damn nature!

from what ive read most cities wont do anything, apparently relocating them actually makes the problem worse as new males will take over the territory and breed and create an even larger population as there is no dominant male.  some cities, huntington beach, i think, do euthanize the ones they catch. pretty sad. like you said, they are just looking for food.

i am just posting here for FYI.  however, if they were ghost coyote, then i will probably start a new petition.  :)

yaliu07 said:
i am just posting here for FYI.  however, if they were ghost coyote, then i will probably start a new petition.  :)
You need to get a refile/handgun. #protection

irvinehomeowner said:
They should hang out in Columbus Square.

All those qwerleftovers should keep them happy.

we have them all over here as well with all of the open land on the base, however, the open area is fenced off, but they just dig holes underneath the fence. some people want them gone others are fine with them. im fine with them, but i am a huge animal lover.

yaliu07 said:
... The first time was Friday around 10:30pm at the park. and it was a larger size coyote. Today, Sunday was around 8:30 pm ...

avoid going to the *wild* after dusk and before dawn...

Coyotes were always a problem growing up in Y.L. Especially between dusk and early morning. The school crossing - a little old retired man named Ralph - guard carried some sort of bb gun. The coyotes used to stalk us kids and wait outside the school near his crosswalk. He shot them to protect us kids as we walked to school. Lost a cat to coyotes. Kitty was an indoor cat but liked to go out in the early morning and nap on the welcome mat right in front of our front door. We heard a noise. Opened the door. A huge fur mess was on the welcome mat. Fur everywhere. No cat. Never saw her again. Especially painful when it's a $400 Persian cat (which was a lot more money in the 1980s.) We live in the coyote's territory still. Got to be careful.

qwerty said:
ps9 said:
Until they eat your dog

my dogs stay indoor. the coyotes wont eat my dogs when im walking them.

Let me rephrase that: The coyotes won't eat my dogs when I'm walking them, the cayote pack will just attack me. (911 - won't save you from a cayote)

eyephone said:
qwerty said:
ps9 said:
Until they eat your dog

my dogs stay indoor. the coyotes wont eat my dogs when im walking them.

Let me rephrase that: The coyotes won't eat my dogs when I'm walking them, the cayote pack will just attack me. (911 - won't save you from a cayote)

the coyotes dont stand a chance, you saw my calves right? :)

scooter said:
Instead of orange bikes, PP should have just issued orange hand guns. 

Buy a home, get a free orange hunter's cap and vest! *Offer good while supplies last

mt_hunter_orange_oep.jpg

Back