no water in water cooler

I believe Irvine Ranch Water District has penalties when you exceed a certain amount so they don't require the cuts.

Eao said:
Irvine Ranch target cut is 20% as per IRWD, they will detail how to the cuts will be implemented by May 5:
http://irwd.com/liquid-news/the-governor-asks-california-to-reduce-water-use-by-25
In that link:
IRWD Rate Structure Discourages Water Waste
IRWD applauds the action by the Governor to call for water agencies throughout the state to implement new pricing modules that discourage excessive water use because they will not only continue to reduce water use and demand during the current shortage, but will also result in sustained conservation gains. A key component of the District's efforts to reduce water use has been through the use of allocation-based conservation rate structures which discourage overuse by using a meaningful tiered pricing structure for any inefficient water use. The District has used an allocation-based tired rate structure for nearly twenty-five years, and has continued to refine its rate and allocation structure to promote wise use of water. Implementation of IRWD?s allocation-based tiered rate structure, in addition to other measures undertaken by the District, has provided superior savings compared with imposing a mandatory ban on outdoor irrigation. The IRWD rate structure was approved by the California State Water Resources as an alternative conservation plan for compliance with the State Board?s Drought Emergency Regulations issued in July 2014. The District has achieved a 156 percent greater savings than would have occurred if the District had implemented mandatory two-day week water restrictions.
This is why Irvine may not have to do watering day restrictions just yet.

Additionally, most of Irvine's public/shared landscape uses reclaimed water so that also helps in our conservation.

On our visit to the Hoover Dam, you can see how low the water line is compared to previous years... it's sad.

The California Court Company said:
must stop building cemeteries and golf courses.  we got no water for things that are not neccessary

yaliu07 said:
With more new house and more people move in, this will put more pressure to IRWD.

I thought they use recycle water.  can anyone confirm? 

but, i totally agree w/ you on cemetery and golf courses:)

I just feel like if they want us to take it seriously, then they need to stop building thousands upon thousands upon thousands of new residences in the southland each year. Otherwise, it's the same thing as saying, "Conserve water... so we can give yours to somebody else." I'll start conserving when they stop building. That said, I was skimming this article: 11 Ways To Meet California's New 25% Water Cutbacks.

And what about all those swimming pools.

There may be a drought, but O.C. is still filling up with new swimming pools

Even as the state and water agencies work to cut water use in Orange County as much as 35 percent, and several cities have put in place restrictions on filling pools and spas, construction in Orange County is booming.

Orange County homeowners have installed nearly 4,500 new swimming pools since 2010, figures from Utah-based research firm Construction Monitor show. In 2014 alone, Orange County homeowners installed 829 new pools, with installations this year on track for just under 900 new pools, which would be the second-busiest year since the economic downturn.

The city of Newport Beach adopted conservation measures in September that imposed a ban on filling pools and spas there by more than one foot per week.

My HOA recently tore up some old turf and replaced with shrubs, thinking about it too with my yard. 

aquabliss said:
yaliu07 said:
Got a letter from IRWD that next year water is going to increase 20%...

:(
http://www.irwd.com/images/pdf/rates/Prop 218 IRWD Irvine Residential 201516.pdf

Read this as well.  New rates start in July and they look nasty.  Say hello to $100 water bills.
The hikes aren't that high... an SFR has an average allocation of 11 CCFs (1 CCF=748 gallons of water). So if you exceed your allocation, then it can get expensive.

If you look at your IRWD bill, they tell you what your allocation is each month for the last year and what you actually used. We are below our allocation by about 30% so I guess we can take longer showers.

My water bill is the only one that I have not been successful in bringing down significantly in my past few houses, probably because I have/had a sprinkler system.  We pretty much conserve as much water or any other utility as possible. 

I probably could cut it down a little more but my front lawn will then start getting brown and get bald spots.  Last time that happened the HOA said that I had to fix it.  After July, will HOAs look the other way due to water restrictions?  Dreaming?  :p

Agreed--lawns are water hogs.  We have a scant 500 sq ft of lawn in the front, water it lightly for 6 minutes a  few times a week (the shrubbery gets another minute), and it amounts to ~1/3 of our water usage.  We would be down to under 100 gallons a day if not for the plants.

I understand and yet can't stand the "broad brush" conservation initiatives governments tend to impose.  "Everyone needs to cut back 20%!"  Really?  I'm already in the lowest quintile of water usage, have already bought the HE washer, dishwasher and low flow toilets, drained my waterfall and ripped up my back yard, and I need to cut back too?  Bite me.

Got my water bill today.  the bill is 38% increased for same amount of water.  Worst of all, i am only in CONSERVATION tier.  :(

Back