The cost of education and housing

irvinehomeowner

One of the overriding themes about purchasing in Irvine is the quality of the school system here. Not just a single school... but the entire school system from elementary to high school.

The problem with that is the high price you have to pay for such a home. Not only in price, but in newer areas you also have Mello Roos and HOAs.

Often, those who do not believe in the value of living in Irvine have asked... why not live in a less expensive area and the money you would save would go to paying for private school. While that may be a great theory... there are other factors involved than just putting the difference you save on a home into your child's education.

1. Your child goes to a neighborhood school with other kids who live in your neighborhood. This is not always the case with private schools.
2. Depending on you work schedule, it may be easier to take your children to a school close to your home rather than some private facility that may not be close to either your work or home.
3. There is no guarantee that the quality of private school is better than your local school or Irvine schools for that matter.
4. Part if living in a community is having something in common with the other families (sounding RC-like here) so when your kids play with the other kids in the neighborhood and they ask you where do your kids go... you're gonna get that "Oh... our school isn't good enough so they go to private school." vibe. It may not be blatant, but it can happen.
5. Tax writeoffs. While you can probably use FSA and childcare deductions, those don't quite equal the homeowner deduction of interest and property tax.
- Let's say private education costs $1000 per month for your child. So you buy a house that cost $1000 less per month. After 6 years, you would have paid $72,000 dollars in private school. Do you think the tax deduction for that childcare cost (I believe you can only writeoff any daycare portion... not instruction) would equal that of your interest/property tax decuction (disclaimer: this may vary depending on itemization, AGI etc etc)?
- And... that money spent on the more expensive home would have reduced your mortgage balance

Now granted, it does work for some people and I'm not faulting that choice. But it's not as easy as comparing dollar to dollar... there is the whole central locality, safety and other reasons to live in Irvine. I think that's something people may forget when suggesting such a solution.

I still worry about public education going forward. Yes Measure R passed but that is a stop gap solution. The City of Irvine can't go on subsidizing the IUSD budget forever as the economy continues to sour. Our multibillion dollar deficit in Sacramento will only result in further cuts to education in the years ahead. If Irvine residents are serious about preserving their great school system, they need to pass a Parcel Tax (http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Parcel_tax) in the next election.

I don't believe in additional taxes for our schools. We pay enough in premium prices, MRs and HOAs.

For the businesses that are profiting from the excellent school system... they will provide as they have in the past. Just remember... the economy problem is global so whatever problems Irvine schools have, so will other cities but Irvine will and should stay high in quality comparatively.

iacrenter said:
I still worry about public education going forward. Yes Measure R passed but that is a stop gap solution. The City of Irvine can't go on subsidizing the IUSD budget forever as the economy continues to sour. Our multibillion dollar deficit in Sacramento will only result in further cuts to education in the years ahead. If Irvine residents are serious about preserving their great school system, they need to pass a Parcel Tax (http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Parcel_tax) in the next election.
Your worry about the state budget is well supported but keep in mind that politicians tend to use big news items like education, public safety aka police and fire departments as ways of scaring the public in order to put forth their agenda. Education may seem bleak for the immediate future, it will not stay that course for long. The new governor stated that the cuts to K-12 could be avoided if a special tax was brought into play.http://www.sacbee.com/2011/01/04/3297230/brown-budget-will-spare-schools.html

CH

CH

Back