Medical Tourism

socal78

The subject of this post -- Medical Tourism -- could open up a can of worms because obviously there are a million different directions it could go in. The one I am posting about today is medical tourism in Mexico, specifically. Unfortunately, I received some news this weekend which was devastating to me.

My friend told me she has a surgery date lined up this spring for w*eigh*t*loss / gas*tric sl*ee*ve surgery in TI*JUAN*A! (Adding asterisk to make it not come up in a search by her or someone else.)

She will fly from her home state in the south to San Diego, where the coordinator from Mexico will pick her up from some U.S. based medical tourism office and take her down there. She will then undergo the procedure, stay a couple days, go back to San Diego and stay at a hotel to be monitored.

Medical tourism in Mexico has a bad reputation. Numerous stories have been all over the news about things going wrong. The show "Botched", is about two surgeons fixing previous surgeries -- most of which were done in Mexico. One woman they featured did not receive the general anesthesia she was promised. Instead, they kept her awake and packed her body in ice to dull the pain during her operation. She obviously still struggles with the mental torment of that! That show's surgeons completely advise against going to Mexico for surgery due to it being a third world country with a lower standard of care.

There are plenty of stories like this woman who is a Canadian who went to Mexico for weight loss surgery. She now suffers long-term complications and may not live! Her stomach contents began leaking into her body. Her body can not take in enough nutrients. She had to have multiple corrective surgeries. She regrets the procedure and now disagrees that it was ever necessary in the first place. She was healthy before. Not now. Canada has a big problem with this, just like the U.S.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think this is a bad idea. I think it is A COMPLETELY STOOOOPID, IRRESPONSIBLE IDEA! 

This is like getting brain surgery in Bangladesh.

She has 2 children!! Yeah, she's overweight. Okay. That might shorten her life 5 years. But at least that's at the end of her life. If her surgery goes sideways, she could die now. She does NOT have diabetes. She does NOT have ANY serious side effects as a result of her weight. I think this is mainly about looks for her.

Anyway, if she really wanted to have the surgery done, why not do it in the U.S.? People do medical tourism because of the cost. It can be drastically less expensive than doing it in the U.S. But what is our life worth?!! I am sure she could afford the surgery here in the states if she sold off her massive amounts of handbags!! The priorities here are killing me!  :mad:

Anyway, this all comes from a place of concern. She is a good, long-time friend of mine. I do NOT want to lose her. She has a history of making impulsive decisions. She also tells me she is "not a smart person". WELL OKAY then WHY should she be allowed to do this? She thinks that because the Mexican doctor is willing to take her $$$$ that means she is a good candidate. Um, no. That means they won't refuse a pay day.

I SWEAR. I am so frustrated.  :(

survival of the fittest, not to be harsh but if your friend is dumb enough to do this, she deserves whatever consequences she gets.

Send all this information you just posted and let her decide.

Does she have a husband you can talk to (does not sound like it)?

qwerty said:
survival of the fittest, not to be harsh but if your friend is dumb enough to do this, she deserves whatever consequences she gets.

No, it's okay. I completely get what you're saying. You should have heard the conversation between Mr. SoCal and I after she told me this! It was not so pretty. And sorry for the comments about Mexico. Hey, I'll party there. I'll bring lots of tourist dollars. My brother even bought a ranch and retired down there. But I'll be damned if I let them cut me open!

irvinehomeowner said:
Send all this information you just posted and let her decide.

Does she have a husband you can talk to (does not sound like it)?

Yes, she is married! I responded to her by saying that I was shocked. That I'm scared for her. That I've heard a lot of really bad things about medical tourism in Mexico. Gave her some examples. Then I asked how does her husband feel about all of this??

She says her husband is supportive of the idea!!  :eek: She said they have discussed it for a long time. Said she has done her research over the past 3 months (wow, so she is basically, what, a doctor now?!?!!) and that she would NOT be doing this if she didn't think it was safe because she has her kids to think of.  :eek:

She heard about it from a friend of hers who had it done there and is happy. And that person had 2 friends before her do it. I don't care about that! To me, they are the lucky winners of Russian Roulette!!  :'(

When comes to  health and medical treatment, this is not the time to short change yourself and tries to save some money. 

I suspected something was up a few months ago when she randomly asked me if I would ever consider weight loss surgery if I needed it. I said no way, not unless I was so heavy that it made me handicapped and every other attempt at losing weight had already failed. What people don't understand is that general anesthesia carries risks as well, not just the surgery itself. I told her that while I'm raising kids, I would never undergo general anesthesia unless it was medically necessary to save my life or prevent me from being disabled. It's a good idea to be able-bodied while taking care of kids. (Her weight does NOT disable her! She walks, drives, needs no help with showers or anything like that!) I mentioned my negative experience coming out of G.A. recently when I had my gall bladder removed a couple years ago -- very scary! But I am glad I did that because my kids would have no mommy if it ruptured and I died. I never imagined she was actually planning it at the time... IN MEXICO, NO LESS!

Apparently NOTHING I say to her matters!  :(

For reference, she is: 240 lbs., approximately 5'5" (unsure of exact height but she confirmed the weight).

Being a developing nation doesn't preclude it from having top notch doctors.  India and Thailand have very good medical facilities and world class doctors and in certain categories, even have the best doctors.  Major insurance companies are recognizing medical tourism and supporting it.  I state this just in case you might be biased in your research on surgeons in Mexico.  The data might truly point at being a bad decision but I doubt you will win your friend over by just pointing out that its in Mexico and hence bad.  Also many surgeries stateside have fatal outcomes.  There are good and bad docs here as well. 

rkp said:
Major insurance companies are recognizing medical tourism and supporting it.   
Yeah i can vouch for this. My sister still lives in the border town we grew up in and her insurance is one that covers 80% and she has to pay 20% until she meets her out of pocket maximum. However, if she goes to mexico, the doctor down there accepts the 80% as full payment so once she meets her annual deductible then she doesnt have to pay anything. Now when she goes down there its nothing as serious as a weight loss surgery. but there are a lot people that go to mexico and use US based health insurance

rkp said:
Being a developing nation doesn't preclude it from having top notch doctors.  India and Thailand have very good medical facilities and world class doctors and in certain categories, even have the best doctors.  Major insurance companies are recognizing medical tourism and supporting it.  I state this just in case you might be biased in your research on surgeons in Mexico.  The data might truly point at being a bad decision but I doubt you will win your friend over by just pointing out that its in Mexico and hence bad.  Also many surgeries stateside have fatal outcomes.  There are good and bad docs here as well. 

Like I said, it's not just the issue of it being in Mexico, as I question the necessity of the procedure in the first place plus undergoing general anesthesia. Too add to those concerns, there is also the issue of her getting on a plane and travelling over 2,000 miles home soon after surgery (remember, I said she lives in the south). That means restricted mobility. What if that creates a medical issue -- blood clot, embolism, etc. Plus, she is not covering her butt in case something goes wrong. I've read that the Mexican legal system makes it nearly impossible to sue a Mexican doctor for malpractice. Also, the Mexican facility may not have adequate indemnity insurance. Things are great until they aren't. She not the kind of person to have a Plan B or a safety net. God forbid this creates any issues for her where she would need them to cover unforseen costs as a result of a poor infection-control procedures or a surgery gone wrong.

qwerty said:
rkp said:
Yeah i can vouch for this. My sister still lives in the border town we grew up in and her insurance is one that covers 80% and she has to pay 20% until she meets her out of pocket maximum. However, if she goes to mexico, the doctor down there accepts the 80% as full payment so once she meets her annual deductible then she doesnt have to pay anything. Now when she goes down there its nothing as serious as a weight loss surgery. but there are a lot people that go to mexico and use US based health insurance

Really? I have a P.P.O. and it does not cover anything outside the United States. In fact, I purchased separate medical and dental coverage for my upcoming cruise to Mexico for my whole family, just in case, including a helicopter to airlift us to safety if needed.

SoCal said:
qwerty said:
rkp said:

Really? I have a P.P.O. and it does not cover anything outside the United States. In fact, I purchased separate medical and dental coverage for my upcoming cruise to Mexico for my whole family, just in case, including a helicopter to airlift us to safety if needed.

my PPO covers events outside of the US

http://www.anthem.com/wps/portal/ahpfep?content_path=fep/noapplication/f4/s3/t0/pw_a129831.htm&label=Traveling%20with%20Blue

Qwerty, your sister speaks Spanish, right? My friend does not speak any Spanish. Her MIL will be accompanying her. Her MIL does not speak Spanish either. She will have no advocate for her who can read paperwork in Spanish if necessary or understand what they are saying in their native tongue. According to her, there is no need to because supposedly the doctor and all of the staff speak fluent English. Well, that is not everybody's experience with Mexican facilities. Some say they speak English until you ask a question they can't answer or don't want to. Then it's "No habla Engles!" I think we've all encountered that at one time or another even here in O.C. I know I have. She is from an area where she does not know the lay of the land down here, if you kwim.

SoCal said:
rkp said:

Like I said, it's not just the issue of it being in Mexico, as I question the necessity of the procedure in the first place plus undergoing general anesthesia. Too add to those concerns, there is also the issue of her getting on a plane and travelling over 2,000 miles home soon after surgery (remember, I said she lives in the south). That means restricted mobility. What if that creates a medical issue -- blood clot, embolism, etc. Plus, she is not covering her butt in case something goes wrong. I've read that the Mexican legal system makes it nearly impossible to sue a Mexican doctor for malpractice. Also, the Mexican facility may not have adequate indemnity insurance. Things are great until they aren't. She not the kind of person to have a Plan B or a safety net. God forbid this creates any issues for her where she would need them to cover unforseen costs as a result of a poor infection-control procedures or a surgery gone wrong.

I think you should really focus on the issues of elective surgery, risk of travel, anesthesia risk, etc instead of Mexico and make that your case with her.  Not sure how she took your advice but the fear of Mexico is louder in your OP than the other risks your mentioned which is probably what she is defending based on her research. 

With the amount she is spending and the time off for recovery, couldnt a big loser type intensive multi-week camp be a better fit?  Maybe setup a gofundme page to help her raise funds to be better for her kids without surgery. 

rkp said:
I think you should really focus on the issues of elective surgery, risk of travel, anesthesia risk, etc instead of Mexico and make that your case with her.  Not sure how she took your advice but the fear of Mexico is louder in your OP than the other risks your mentioned which is probably what she is defending based on her research. 

With the amount she is spending and the time off for recovery, couldnt a big loser type intensive multi-week camp be a better fit?  Maybe setup a gofundme page to help her raise funds to be better for her kids without surgery. 

Ok, I see what you are saying. I just sent her a message pointing out all the other areas of concern. I also suggested a Go Fund Me page and offered to spread the word, donate money myself, and/or set one up on her behalf if she is uncomfortable asking others for help herself.

I was really nervous sending this message because in my experience, people generally do not like to be told their idea is not good even if you have good intentions. It might end the friendship whether she has surgery or not. But a friend is not a true friend if they just put a rubber stamp of approval on every idea you have - good, bad, or horrific.

Thanks for letting me vent, everyone. I'm obviously under the yoke of extreme stress with this and I can not vent on Facebook because she will see it.

You are clearly a very caring friend and I doubt she will hate you for sharing concern.  If you are ok completely risking the friendship but increasing the chance that she doesn't go through with it, you can post your concerns on her facebook wall and ask for friends to chime in.  It would most likely act like as an intervention and probably at least get more friends encouraging her not to do this.

What does her doctor think?  How much cheaper is the surgery?  Surprisingly, you can negotiate with US doctors and practices.  With HDHP, consumers have been more in control of their healthcare spending and there are states that are cheaper than others.  Has she done a thorough cost comparison and negotiated with various US providers?

Socal - does your friends insurance not cover the weight loss surgery? I think more insurances cover it now, or some forms of it.

Back