Nightmare childbirth at Hoag with Dr. Mercedes Sayago and Alex Deyan

dliberty

Hi Guys,

I wanted to personally open up and share our birth experience in hope that I could save someone else from going through the same nightmare. I've posted my entire story in this blog:
https://lessonsoflife.net/our-nightmare-childbirth-with-dr-mercedes-sayago-obgyn-review/

Moderators: please note I have nothing to gain from posting a link to my blog here other than merely sharing my experience. I'd be more than happy to post the entire story here if sharing the link to my blog violates the posting rules.

sorry to hear about your experience and im sure many people here appreciate you sharing your story so that the this could be avoided by others in the future.  Im not sure about Sayago but Deyan seems to have horrible reviews on the web. 
Go with Kaiser in Irvine... cant go wrong there.  My best friend, two of my colleagues and I all went to Kaiser off of Sand Canyon and had AWESOME experiences.  EVERYTHING was awesome and never had to worry about not having a doctor there.

sorry to hear that. I am sure the son will be very healthy.
+1 for Kaiser on Sand Canyon. Our experience for the 1st one is good and looking forward to another good experience come May

Sorry to read your story. I think the major red flag was the fact that you saw a nurse practitioner for each prenatal visit. That doesn't sound normal to me and certainly was not the case for me. I saw my OB/gyn during each visit and that's how the entire practice (10+ ob/gyn group) works.

sorry to hear that.  i had my son delivered in Kaiser baldwin park.  my son was actually delivered by "special nurse" instead of the OB. (sorry, i forget the name of the special nurse).  overall the experience is pleasant.  and i only had to pay 200 dollars out of pocket.

pros:
Kaiser actually want you baby delivered by normal instead of c-section.
Kaiser gave you and your wife one room to delivery the baby and baby never leave that room.

cons:
Kaiser only allow to stay 24 hours for normal delivery.  me and my wife has to leave the hospital at 9 oclock at night.  :(  fortunately, it was summer.
I think it was 72 hours for c-section

overall:
i still have kaiser today.  and if i have a second child, i will still pick kaiser.

We had an amazing experience first time at Kaiser in Irvine (about 18 months ago) and hopefully will have the same in late March / early April.  Thus far we are more than pleased with Kaiser and the care our family has been provided. 

Very sorry to hear about this.

You should report your experience to Hoag and whoever is both Dr. Sayago and Dr. Deyan's superiors.

I'm assuming your son is all better now (jaundice seems to be very common, ourselves and many others have had that... even as much as light treatment etc).

I hope your wife is doing better and if this helps, focus on the positives. Your blog says First Time Daddy, congratulations, fatherhood changes your life forever.

Good luck, keep us updated if you get any traction on reporting your experience to Hoag and higher ups.

Just thought I'd share my experience:

We delivered both of our sons at Hoag Newport Beach and had a great experience, despite some relatively minor issues.

Actually, neither my wife's OB/GYN nor anyone from her office was available when we went in, and the hospital doctor on duty, Dr. Barber, finally showed up. I say "finally" because he was busy with a C-section and there were no other doctors, so the nurses just kept telling my wife to hold off on pushing.

But when he did show up he was great and calming (kind of creepily so, to be honest, he had a hand on her knee when he was trying to verbally sooth her). Still, he was very nice and did a very good job taking his time doing the stitching, so much so that the stitches were not evident and the episiotomy was not apparent after the fact.

The nursing staff was great. The hospital itself and the private room with an ocean view were great.

For our second delivery, Dr. Barber had to start the delivery again because our OB/GYN (different from the first) was a few minutes away. Again, he was super nice and not creepy this time around. But things changed once our actual OB/GYN arrived because he was a total dick being condescending and dismissive and generally rude. Fortunately, he has since moved away and sold his practice. The main nurse this time was kind of a dummy because she kept telling us we had lots of time and were not far dilated, but when she finally checked she was surprised we were at 9cm and zero station. (That's why our jerk doctor arrived late.)

All in all, I feel the care at Hoag and the hospital are top-notch. The overall experience, though, depends on who's on staff and who your OB/GYN is.

Sorry to hear about the experience you had with your first childs birth. Its very good that you are warning others to avoid them. When I was pregnant I wasn't sure which obgyn to go to, but it turned out well. Dr. Melissa Bush was great and we went to Saddleback which was such a good experience, didn't want to leave the hospital

If you want a better birth experience, try checking out an alternative to hospital birth:http://www.southcoastmidwifery.com/

We switched doctors midway through the pregnancy twice because we didn't get good vibes from the doctor we were seeing. Though we always used doctors/midwives groups that the doctor that we saw wasn't the one that delivered our baby.

The main point: don't be afraid to switch even if it's late unto the pregnancy. Our switches were at 32 weeks and 29 weeks.

So you went with a doula?  What if something goes wrong?  Give birth at home in a tub?  Please inform! 

paperboyNC said:
If you want a better birth experience, try checking out an alternative to hospital birth:http://www.southcoastmidwifery.com/

We switched doctors midway through the pregnancy twice because we didn't get good vibes from the doctor we were seeing. Though we always used doctors/midwives groups that the doctor that we saw wasn't the one that delivered our baby.

The main point: don't be afraid to switch even if it's late unto the pregnancy. Our switches were at 32 weeks and 29 weeks.

my only concern with this is that if the baby is born with complications such as respiratory failure, needs immediate intubation and respiratory support now you have really put your child's life in danger because you are home and need to call 911 and they take time to get to you.  when a newborn is not getting oxygen to the brain every second counts because that will cause lifelong brain damage. I think hospitals are very good places to give birth for that reason. I also personally make sure that I deliver in a hospital with a Neonatal intensive care unit.

Sorry to hear. Wow that is incredible.  I saw my wife's Obgyn every time there was an appointment.  Hoag was great for both of our kids.  The Obgyn we had wasn't available but another dr from the office came instead.  It's just crazy to hear that it doesn't always go that way.  Praying that your wife and son recover from this.  You need to take some action.

Paris said:
paperboyNC said:

my only concern with this is that if the baby is born with complications such as respiratory failure, needs immediate intubation and respiratory support now you have really put your child's life in danger because you are home and need to call 911 and they take time to get to you.  when a newborn is not getting oxygen to the brain every second counts because that will cause lifelong brain damage. I think hospitals are very good places to give birth for that reason. I also personally make sure that I deliver in a hospital with a Neonatal intensive care unit.

Good points. We had all of our kids in the hospital for that reason. The birth center above is across the street from the hospital and can transfer you very quickly. I would recommend having the baby at their center rather than at home.

ps9 said:
So you went with a doula?  What if something goes wrong?  Give birth at home in a tub?  Please inform!

I assume that is addressed to me? Doula's don't deliver babies. We had some kids delivered by a certified nurse midwife and others by an ob-gyn. In both cases the nurses did 99% of the work and twice the Certified nurse/doctor barely even made in in the room in time for the baby to be born. We had all of our kids at hospitals.

paperboyNC said:
ps9 said:

I assume that is addressed to me? Doula's don't deliver babies. We had some kids delivered by a certified nurse midwife and others by an ob-gyn. In both cases the nurses did 99% of the work and twice the Certified nurse/doctor barely even made in in the room in time for the baby to be born. We had all of our kids at hospitals.

Interesting.  I guess everyone's experience can vary.  Our ob/gyn was very present - in fact, no pushing was done until the dr got into the room.  But I know some people's babies just fly out.  Guess in that case, sometimes there's not enough time for the dr to get there?  It also depends on where you deliver.  At some teaching hospitals, there can be a ton of people in the room. 

bones said:
Interesting.  I guess everyone's experience can vary.  Our ob/gyn was very present - in fact, no pushing was done until the dr got into the room.  But I know some people's babies just fly out.  Guess in that case, sometimes there's not enough time for the dr to get there?  It also depends on where you deliver.  At some teaching hospitals, there can be a ton of people in the room.

Yes, the babies just flew out and she could only hold back from pushing for so long waiting for the doctor that was with another patient.

Back