Municipal Library

Arman

If this happens, it'll be one of the best things at the Great Park. Sad to think that we could've had this with 1/2 the amount that's been wasted/stolen/lost at the Great Park so far. Councilwoman Christina Shea needs to STFU. Irvine won't continue being a great city without a municipal library to call its own.

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-22%20at%206.16.14%20PM_zpskboglknf.png

+1.  We need a better library.  It's sad that peeps in Irvine travel to NB to use their library.

iacrenter said:
Saw this updated OC Register article:http://m.ocregister.com/articles/library-651004-square-city.html

I voted for Choi but the price tag for the library is out of control. $200M is way too much.

Certainly, that's $200 million that would be better spent than the $200+ million that's already been spent for crap at the Great Park. I'd much rather see $200 million spent on a library than just about anything else that cities spend large amounts of money on (stadiums come to mind).

My takeaway from all this is it takes $200m+ to do anything in irvine.  Good luck veterans!

Mayor Choi wrote an opinion piece for The Register which appeared this past Sunday.

This is one of the best things he can do for this city, and I wholeheartedly support it!

choi.jpg_zpspeemvmrw.png

I don't buy Mayor Choi's argument. Just because Irvine could be flush with cash doesn't mean he should spend $200M of our tax dollars. He should let the voters decide in a special measure election.

I also agree with the OC Register's notion that libraries are not as relavent in the Internet/digital age.

iacrenter said:
I don't buy Mayor Choi's argument. Just because Irvine could be flush with cash doesn't mean he should spend $200M of our tax dollars. He should let the voters decide in a special measure election.

I also agree with the OC Register's notion that libraries are not as relavent in the Internet/digital age.

$200M is a lot of money for a library. I can give the mayor 200 plus ideas to spend that $200M.

iacrenter said:

libraries is not just for physical books. its for research and collaboration.  its a place of learning and exploration.  just like a park or other public place, its more useful for some people than others but it doesnt mean its not needed. 

broaden your view of library.  it can have creative learning spaces, maker spaces, labs etc. 

There are so many facets of this intended project which just don't make sense. They want to install a coffee shop. Like there aren't enough of those around. Want a place for meetings. What's wrong with meeting at city hall? Not to mention staffing a library this size. As a former OCPL volunteer myself, I know that they all rely heavily on unpaid staff. For some programs, there isn't enough to meet the demand as it is. Volunteers pick and choose when they want to work and what tasks they want to do or not do. Good luck with that. 

But a library is far more useful to the residents of the city than anything else proposed for the Great Park thus far.  Another golf course?  A bosque?  A cemetery?  More homes and apartments?  A big balloon, a discarded carousel, endless soccer fields... all such a waste.

The OCPL is such an embarrassment.  Anyone who has visited the municipal libraries in Huntington Beach and Mission Viejo can attest to that. 

rkp said:
iacrenter said:

libraries is not just for physical books. its for research and collaboration.  its a place of learning and exploration.  just like a park or other public place, its more useful for some people than others but it doesnt mean its not needed. 

broaden your view of library.  it can have creative learning spaces, maker spaces, labs etc.

Then build a collaboration hub/center: conference rooms, open space, small restaurant/shops. That will cost less then a library.

It doesn't matter what they build. Everything the city touches costs $200 million. Plus look at the Newport Beach civic center/library expansion on avocado. I think that ended up costing 3x original cost. Paid for by bonds.

I like Libraries.. but we really should put this to vote.  I'd like to city the majority of the city behind it. 

Lettuce be cereal.. do we really need Libraries anymore?  I'd like to see something more modern thinking.  Not sure which way I'd vote.. More books or water slides?  hmmmmm

eyephone said:
Then build a collaboration hub/center: conference rooms, open space, small restaurant/shops. That will cost less then a library.
This is probably a better idea.

Irvine already has multiple libraries... but what they don't have is something like eyephone describes.

Yes, there are community centers in the different 'hoods, but preference usually goes to Irvine residents and most of them are fairly small. A largish community center could be used for a wide variety of things at a much smaller expense than $2m (and would require less staff to maintain).

Unless there is already something like this planned for TGP (their plans keep changing so I can't keep up).

If it were up to me, it's expensive, but I would build a large indoor sports facility like the Misty May one in Tustin... and make it public access. Basketball, volleyball and even indoor soccer... or is this already planned too?

indoor gym + 1. those south eastern Asians no like their kids dark skinned

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
This is probably a better idea.

Irvine already has multiple libraries... but what they don't have is something like eyephone describes.

Yes, there are community centers in the different 'hoods, but preference usually goes to Irvine residents and most of them are fairly small. A largish community center could be used for a wide variety of things at a much smaller expense than $2m (and would require less staff to maintain).

Unless there is already something like this planned for TGP (their plans keep changing so I can't keep up).

If it were up to me, it's expensive, but I would build a large indoor sports facility like the Misty May one in Tustin... and make it public access. Basketball, volleyball and even indoor soccer... or is this already planned too?

I'm not necessarily opposed to a library but I am opposed to spending $200M. I hope the city opens this up to more public comment or a special election. Why not build something more budget conscious? Why no partnership with the private sector before spending tax dollars?

Back