DIY Tax Software

i use turbotax, all my tax returns are online since 2004. some people i know use taxact.com, it is cheaper than turbotax.

eyephone said:
Turbo Tax for the computer - do most people get the deluxe or premiere version?
Depends on how straightforward your taxes are.

Basic taxes, simple, employed, no deductions can use the Free version.

Deluxe is if you are itemizing (usually if you own a home you will be).

Premiere is if you invest and cash out stocks and/or own rental property.

Home&Business is if you own a small business.
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare.jsp

TaxCut (which is now called H&R Block) has similar versions:

Free: Simple
Basic: Support features not in Simple
Deluxe: Homeowners and investors
Premium: Self Employed and Rental Property owners
http://www.hrblock.com/online-tax-filing/help-me-choose.html

I use H&R Block because it includes in-person help if I need it (there are a few H&R Block offices nearby) and it's cheaper than TurboTax (99%er!).

I have been using TurboTax Deluxe and bought Deluxe again this year but I noticed this change for this year.  Fortunately, I didn't sell anything last year but need to keep this in mind.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno...rs-can-get-free-upgrades-or-block-substitute/

What?s riling Olsen and other long-time users is this: the boxed software/download version of TurboTax Deluxe + State for 2014 lists for the same $69.99 as did the 2013 version (you can currently buy the 2014 version for $59.99 on the TurboTax site and $49.97 on Amazon). But you can no longer use Deluxe to electronically file a Schedule D , for capital gains and losses; Schedule C, for profit and loss from a sole proprietorship business; Schedule E, for rental real estate, royalties and distributions from partnerships; or Schedule F, for farm income. While you can report dividends and mutual fund capital gain distributions through Deluxe, investors who sold any stock or assets need to trade up to TurboTax Premier (list $99.99, selling for $89.99 through TurboTax?s site and $79.97 on Amazon) to E-file.

TurboTax Vice-President Bob Meighan confirmed that tax-savvy users of the Deluxe version can still complete full schedules C, D, E or F using TurboTax?s ?forms? as opposed to its ?interview? method. But unlike last year, they?ll be blocked from E-filing those forms or doing that final accuracy review, which is part of the service buyers have come to expect.

Dissatisfied customers do have options, however.  One is to call Intuit (at 800-445-1875, from 8 AM to 8 PM EST) and demand satisfaction. Meighan assured Forbes yesterday that every agent at that number ?has discretion to do what?s necessary? to keep a customer? meaning, he said, they will give customers a free upgrade if they demand it, or a discounted one if that?s enough to keep them. (So, if you call,  threaten to jump ship and don?t settle for less than an upgrade.)

Gee, thanks, TurboTax.  I'll rethink TurboTax next year.

@irvinehusky:

Yep, you have to go Premiere or H&B for the things you mention.

That's why I use H&R Premium, it cost less than TurboTax H&B.

Also, the download version at BestBuy.com is usually cheaper than the in-store version or even H&R's own site (been doing that for the last 2 years).

irvinehusky said:
I have been using TurboTax Deluxe and bought Deluxe again this year but I noticed this change for this year.  Fortunately, I didn't sell anything last year but need to keep this in mind.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno...rs-can-get-free-upgrades-or-block-substitute/

What?s riling Olsen and other long-time users is this: the boxed software/download version of TurboTax Deluxe + State for 2014 lists for the same $69.99 as did the 2013 version (you can currently buy the 2014 version for $59.99 on the TurboTax site and $49.97 on Amazon). But you can no longer use Deluxe to electronically file a Schedule D , for capital gains and losses; Schedule C, for profit and loss from a sole proprietorship business; Schedule E, for rental real estate, royalties and distributions from partnerships; or Schedule F, for farm income. While you can report dividends and mutual fund capital gain distributions through Deluxe, investors who sold any stock or assets need to trade up to TurboTax Premier (list $99.99, selling for $89.99 through TurboTax?s site and $79.97 on Amazon) to E-file.

TurboTax Vice-President Bob Meighan confirmed that tax-savvy users of the Deluxe version can still complete full schedules C, D, E or F using TurboTax?s ?forms? as opposed to its ?interview? method. But unlike last year, they?ll be blocked from E-filing those forms or doing that final accuracy review, which is part of the service buyers have come to expect.

Dissatisfied customers do have options, however.  One is to call Intuit (at 800-445-1875, from 8 AM to 8 PM EST) and demand satisfaction. Meighan assured Forbes yesterday that every agent at that number ?has discretion to do what?s necessary? to keep a customer? meaning, he said, they will give customers a free upgrade if they demand it, or a discounted one if that?s enough to keep them. (So, if you call,  threaten to jump ship and don?t settle for less than an upgrade.)

Gee, thanks, TurboTax.  I'll rethink TurboTax next year.

That does suck.  But I'll prob just stay with Turbo Tax for continuity.  It's nice that TT can just pull up previous year's info and I don't have to repopulate stuff.

Thank you.

I'll have to think hard about H&R Block, even if it's their software version.  Many, many years ago, when I used to bring my tax returns to H&R Block, I had an "incident" at one of their offices and I promised myself I'll never use H&R Block again.  I rarely (extremely rare for me) complain about services, but I had to contact their corporate office about it.  They did offer free services as an apology but I never went back.

It's not only H&R Block but when I used to bring my simple tax returns in-person (single and lazy), those people almost never asked me anything.  These guys are always touting that they'll find all your deductions but I always wondered how they can do that if they don't ask questions?  That's what I like about these DIY tax software in that they ask many, many questions and they don't give you the attitude.  :p

irvinehomeowner said:
@irvinehusky:

Yep, you have to go Premiere or H&B for the things you mention.

That's why I use H&R Premium, it cost less than TurboTax H&B.

Also, the download version at BestBuy.com is usually cheaper than the in-store version or even H&R's own site (been doing that for the last 2 years).

Fortunately, I haven't started my taxes yet and didn't open the box.  And, since I bought it at Costco, I should be able to return it and get Premium if needed.  I don't think I need it this year.

Deluxe, I believe, always made you do the carry over type things manually, just so that you would purchase Premium but I didn't feel like I needed to pay $20 extra just for that.

eyephone said:
Good info husky. I might have to get the premium version.

Is that factoring the $10 instant rebate at costco?

irvinehusky said:
Fortunately, I haven't started my taxes yet and didn't open the box.  And, since I bought it at Costco, I should be able to return it and get Premium if needed.  I don't think I need it this year.

Deluxe, I believe, always made you do the carry over type things manually, just so that you would purchase Premium but I didn't feel like I needed to pay $20 extra just for that.

eyephone said:
Good info husky. I might have to get the premium version.

Overall, I think TurboTax might be a better product but the H&R software is cheaper and it does let you import last year's data (from either product).

What I don't like is that you have to install a new version every year so on my one computer I have 2012 and 2013, the other I have previous years.

I've only had to contact H&R support one time. One year I had a question when we sold a property that we had rented out for a few years and online chat helped me out because we had to pay taxes for depreciation deductions we took when it was a rental. It cost us thousands more but better safe than audited.

That's how they keep you hooked.  :p  They give you the basic online version free and if you need anything extra, bam, you have to purchase their software.

I wonder if the other tax software can read the previous year's TurboTax info into their software?

bones said:
It's nice that TT can just pull up previous year's info and I don't have to repopulate stuff.

irvinehusky said:
I wonder if the other tax software can read the previous year's TurboTax info into their software?

bones said:
It's nice that TT can just pull up previous year's info and I don't have to repopulate stuff.
Yep... they all read each other's data. Just not sure what the percentage rate of how much actually gets imported.

I don't know since my wife bought it for me but isn't there a $20 differential between Deluxe and Premium even with the rebate?  Or, is it only for Premium and higher, etc.?

eyephone said:
Is that factoring the $10 instant rebate at costco?

Back