Author Topic: DIY Tax Software  (Read 24338 times)

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2663
  • -Received: 4017
  • 3CWG
Re: DIY Tax Software
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 09:59:56 AM »
Overall, I think TurboTax might be a better product but the H&R software is cheaper and it does let you import last year's data (from either product).

What I don't like is that you have to install a new version every year so on my one computer I have 2012 and 2013, the other I have previous years.

I've only had to contact H&R support one time. One year I had a question when we sold a property that we had rented out for a few years and online chat helped me out because we had to pay taxes for depreciation deductions we took when it was a rental. It cost us thousands more but better safe than audited.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline irvinehusky

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 740
  • -Received: 128
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 10:17:57 AM »
That's how they keep you hooked.  :P  They give you the basic online version free and if you need anything extra, bam, you have to purchase their software.

I wonder if the other tax software can read the previous year's TurboTax info into their software?

It's nice that TT can just pull up previous year's info and I don't have to repopulate stuff.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2663
  • -Received: 4017
  • 3CWG
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 10:19:41 AM »
I wonder if the other tax software can read the previous year's TurboTax info into their software?

It's nice that TT can just pull up previous year's info and I don't have to repopulate stuff.
Yep... they all read each other's data. Just not sure what the percentage rate of how much actually gets imported.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline irvinehusky

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 740
  • -Received: 128
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 10:23:50 AM »
I don't know since my wife bought it for me but isn't there a $20 differential between Deluxe and Premium even with the rebate?  Or, is it only for Premium and higher, etc.?

Is that factoring the $10 instant rebate at costco?

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2739
  • -Received: 1837
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 10:54:09 AM »
You can import PDFs typically and it picks up all the prior year data.

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2612
  • -Received: 2104
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
Turbo Tax for the computer - do most people get the deluxe or premiere version?
With all the stuff on my taxes I have to use the premium version.  haha
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!
Have license, will travel!

Offline The California Court Company

• What's this?
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 381
  • -Received: 333
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 11:57:15 AM »
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:47:01 PM by The California Court Company »
"Should any Person come into contact with such fruit, soil or groundwater, such Person is advised to wash thoroughly with soap and water and seek immediate medical attention"-Augusta Disclosure, Tustin Legacy

"You'll probably be able to buy a 4BR detached home in Quail Hill for $150,000."-IndieDev

Offline rkp

• Thanks
  • -Given: 310
  • -Received: 295
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 03:43:16 PM »
Has anyone tried a CPA?  All my friends who go to a CPA pretty much have always gone to a CPA so can't really say if there is value compared to DIY.  We have always done our own taxes but its getting a little more complicated with investments, HSAs, etc and wondering if a CPA is worth it. 

Offline i1

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 60
  • -Received: 89
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 05:13:19 PM »
a
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 12:26:46 PM by i1 »

Offline ps9

• Thanks
  • -Given: 464
  • -Received: 1194
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 06:37:45 PM »
I use a CPA, good to have another set of eyes on your finances, pay $350 last year, looking back, looks like quite a bit of fees to pay for a fairly straightforward return.  I do get questions throughout the year, so for about a $1 a day, I get my answers from a professional who knows my history.  She has been raising the price every year though.. If it tops over $400, gonna have to hit up qwerty and USCTrojan for advice :)

Offline i1

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 60
  • -Received: 89
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 07:10:41 PM »
a
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 12:26:33 PM by i1 »

Offline The California Court Company

• What's this?
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 381
  • -Received: 333
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 07:25:44 PM »
if PS9's CPA looks like this and he gets face to face, $350 is cheap
"Should any Person come into contact with such fruit, soil or groundwater, such Person is advised to wash thoroughly with soap and water and seek immediate medical attention"-Augusta Disclosure, Tustin Legacy

"You'll probably be able to buy a 4BR detached home in Quail Hill for $150,000."-IndieDev

Online eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 493
  • -Received: 777
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 11:20:27 PM »
UPDATE:
"TurboTax users are loyal customers. Many were furious when they learned that this year's desktop version of TurboTax Deluxe had been downsized. The company removed Schedules C, D, E and F - the forms needed to report income from investments, self-employment and rental property income. To get that full functionality, customers must spend an additional $30 to $40 to upgrade to other versions of TurboTax.

Intuit announced that it will rebate $25 to customers who used TurboTax Deluxe desktop software last year and needed to upgrade to TurboTax Premier or Home & Business to file their 2014 returns. That rebate is available to those who apply after they file their return. To get the money back customers are required to provide their Social Security number."

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/taxes/intuit-apologizes-offers-rebate-downsized-turbotax-deluxe-n292041

Online eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 493
  • -Received: 777
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 11:30:55 PM »
I use a CPA, good to have another set of eyes on your finances, pay $350 last year, looking back, looks like quite a bit of fees to pay for a fairly straightforward return.  I do get questions throughout the year, so for about a $1 a day, I get my answers from a professional who knows my history.  She has been raising the price every year though.. If it tops over $400, gonna have to hit up qwerty and USCTrojan for advice :)

PS9 - for $350, does that include tax planning? (Reducing Income, Increase Your Tax Deductions, Take Advantage of Tax Credits)

Offline ps9

• Thanks
  • -Given: 464
  • -Received: 1194
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2015, 07:14:09 AM »
That's a 1%er move. How many questions did you ask in the last year? I'm guessing all could've been answered with less than 1-2 hours of google-fu and reading.

Not that much, average..maybe 3 questions through email.  Hey good info's not cheap, might as well get it from the source. 

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal