Disneyland

Starlight East said:
Why can't they give us some good deals? Universal always has some coupons.

Disney Southern California pass for family of 3 plus parking: 239*3 + 99: $816. That hurts.

Increased from 178 to 239 in 2 years.

It's because Disneyland doesn't have to give discounts to attract visitors and Universal has to.

It's just like TIC doesn't have to give discount to attract buyers.

we got an AWESOME hookup for Dland this year, and you might be able to make it work if you can find someone you trust enough in a similar situation.

My friend's family came out from Utah and bought 3 day parkhopper passes, which came with an upgrade to 5 day park hoppers for the same price.  They didn't use all 5 days though because seriously, who would?  So she gave us 2 of hte passes that had one day left on them and figured we'd get a free day at dland out of it.

But I remembered that they always advertise upgrading your ticket into an annual pass so I figured it was worth a chance to ask if they would do that.  Worst they can do is say no right?

What ended up happening is we got hte FULL 3-day parkhopper ticket price applied to the cost of our passes.  It made my pass 55 dollars (the one that lets you go friday and sunday), plus i bought parking.    My boyfriend got his for 35 (although I don't recommend trying this, the lady was nasty about it) becuase we hadn't realized that his old pass was still good -- it expired that exact day -- and that there was a renewal discount of 20 bucks.

Anyhow - you can find these for sale on craigslist and ebay, BUT its a little risky because its easy to get ripped off.  But if you know anyone who has family or friends coming for a holiday (maybe christmas?) you can ask that they give you any remaining tickets they don't use the full time on, and you can apply them.  Actually if they leave early on the last day, you can probably get their tickets from them and upgrade them anyway.

Obviously your best chances are during summer break but you might get lucky around christmas time too.

I was thinking of this and see it on Craigslist.  What questions does Dland ask though?  I thought they ask specifics like "when did you go" etc.  And they ask all these questions to make sure you didnt buy them off of resale.

They will ask the dates you used them.  It used to be much easier, but they are cracking down on the ebay and Craigslist purchases.  So if you buy off the Craiglist or Ebay, make sure you get the details correct.

they asked me (and luckily I had asked) but I didn't even notice her checking it.  Maybe she had it on her screen already and just glanced at it - I didn't give her dates but I did tell her "monday-tues-wed and then some of us did friday but the tickets are all mixed up so i'm not sure which are which".

I didn't really have any trouble with it it in the begining -- actually, she didn't even ask me the dates right away but as soon as she saw that my bf had a pass that hadn't expired yet she got kinda suspicious.  Luckily it was summer so his pass had been blacked out some of those days anyway, but until she got that red flag it didn't seem like it was a big deal.

But yeah - you should be able to get away with just knowing what days you used em - I would imagine that it might send up red flags if they see usage spread out over a long time, as opposed to the tickets I had which were OBVIOUSLY family vacation tickets by the way they were used.

OTherwise you're pretty much screwed for discounts.  The year before last they let you apply your free birthday day to a pass and that was nice. i guess next year i might have to pay full price.

SoCal said:
Does anyone know what the crowd is typically like on Christmas Day at Disneyland?

Doesn't look like it will be a low-attendance day.  :-(

We have season passes and use this site to check out the projected attendance, etc. It's been pretty accurate and fun to use.http://www.isitpacked.com/disneyland-crowd-forecast-predictor-calendar/

And if you want to check out lines for park attractions, there's an app for that:http://touringplans.com/disneyland-app

Go check out Cars-land if you haven't already... Disney nailed it on this one and the Radiator Springs Racers is worth the wait.

-IrvineRealtor

SoCal said:
Does anyone know what the crowd is typically like on Christmas Day at Disneyland?

If you HAVE to go on Christmas day, I recommend that you try to get there before 11:00 am.  It usually seems to close its gates around noon or so because they are so packed full. 

You have been warned...

annabanana said:
I was thinking of this and see it on Craigslist.  What questions does Dland ask though?  I thought they ask specifics like "when did you go" etc.  And they ask all these questions to make sure you didnt buy them off of resale.

I don't know how this could work.  Our annual passes have photos on them. 

Irvinecommuter said:
annabanana said:

What they are referring to is the multi-day passes and using a used one to upgrade to an annual pass and getting the multi-day ticket price discounted off the price of an annual pass.

There was an article in the paper about brokers who buy multi-day passes and then "rent" each day to people at a discounted rate and how Disneyland is cracking down on them:
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/tickets-374104-disney-day.html

In the scenario in this thread, the poster used the last day of a hopper ticket from their relatives (noting which days they were used) and then upgraded to an annual pass with a credit for the price of the hopper ticket.

Irvinecommuter said:
annabanana said:

I have seen them turn people away who did not match the photo, also I have seen them bar some kids who looked a bit too old for the kid passes.  They do check

@Starlight East:

Ahh... so they finally did something... I missed the follow up article (wonder if they printed that in the paper edition).

Did a 12 hour stint at Disneyland yesterday.  Summer crowds + 95 degree heat = one stinky theme park.  Picked up a few pointers...

1)  Take a pic of where you parked.. I mentally remembered 21 C but forgot if it was Woody or Buzz lot...luckily it was Woody.. trust me after 12 hours of trudging thru Disney, remembering where you parked is like doing calculus

2)  Putting on sunblock is a no brainer.. but RE-APPLYING it is rare for most.  Remember sunblock wears off after a few hours.. So if you apply it early in the AM, it will be gone by the time the sun is the strongest.  Extra layer on shoulders/nose... don't forget behind knee, ears, and ankles

3)  You can reserve table service restaurants for breakfast/lunch/dinner by emailing them at:

dine@disneyland.com

and giving your name, date, which meal, which restaurant.. and they'll accomodate you.  Good if you want table service..but...

4)  Food is kinda crappy at Disney.  I recommend the chicken skewers and Bacon wrapped asparagus at Bengal BBQ for snacks.. the $4 popcorn is delicious, every kernel is drenched in butter...

5)  Drink water, water, and more water... especially in this weather... the sugary drinks don't work well in the heat..  Every disney food vendor will provide free cups of water if avail.. so you don't have to bring or buy bottled water.. Unless you're fancy and don't drink tap.

6)  The Mickey Magic Map show is done well.  My little girl enjoyed it.. cameo appearances by Pocahontas, Mulan, and Rapunzel.  Good vocals and dance for kids.  Also have Sebastian from Little Mermaid for Under the Sea number.. And also Hawaiian stuff from Lilo Stitch. 

7)  Fantasmic seemed like a good show (if I had a better view).  Get there 1.5 hours prior to secure a spot close to the river.  Bring a blanket to sit on.  If you're on the walkway.. it doesn't matter how early you stake out a spot because as soon as the show starts, a child will go on the parents shoulder right in front of you, guaranteed.  Oh, the center spot light pole will move up when the show starts, so the obstructed view will become open.. but again, you'll have people squishing thru to get a spot on the rail.  The 10:30 show is much less crowded but we have our little one..

8 )  Fireworks.. nothing special.. Disneyworld's version with the lights on the castle was much better.. If you want to be herded like cattle down Main Street after the show is over.. go ahead.. hold your little ones close.. But if you want to avoid the "Running of the Disney Bulls", go hangout by the train station near the exit.. It's elevated and you're close to exit when it's over.  BTW the train station benches are reserved before the show starts..

9)  When exiting and trying to catch the shuttle bus back to the parking lot, head RIGHT!  They do not pick up where you were dropped off earlier.  It's easy to follow the crowd and be on the wrong side of the street. 

9bc6636a4aec8ec3443bdcfb7c00f1f3_zps05a6b5ac.jpg

c787757ae2ef02b54866a82775845dcb_zps57a799d1.jpg

Save $10 and you get a shop irvine $25 gift card and a stupid Olaf pin.  Watch out for the blackout dates and the expiration date in May.  So roughly $50/person per day,  Not bad, we can take our time to really explore CA adventure, which we never been.

Back