• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2181
  • -Received: 3576
  • 3CWG
God?
« on: November 17, 2014, 09:32:05 AM »
This is probably a hot-button topic but with all the different ethnicities in Irvine, there is a wide-range of religions, faiths and even non faiths and I was curious as how TI skews.

In our 'hood alone, there are Christians, Catholics, Muslims, Buddhists, Mormons etc etc. There are probably Atheists too.

I think that's the one thing I probably can't understand, how one can believe that there is no higher power. I understand the "science" of it, no visible evidence, material proof etc etc... but to me, just life itself seems to be enough to tell me that there has to be some "god" out there (in my opinion).

I made it a poll just so you can answer anonymously and won't have to worry about anyone knocking on your door. :)
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline lnc

• Thanks
  • -Given: 536
  • -Received: 1012
Re: God?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 09:56:02 AM »

I think that's the one thing I probably can't understand, how one can believe that there is no higher power.

Well, those nonbelievers are probably pretty smart.

Atheists 'have higher IQs': Their intelligence 'makes them more likely to dismiss religion as irrational and unscientific'

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2442
  • -Received: 1559
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 01:35:37 PM »
well some would say that it is pretty crazy to believe in something you have never seen, heard, smelled, touched, etc.  and they they rationalize it by saying that that is the whole point of faith.

what sounds crazier, to believe in what you have not seen or to not believe what you have not seen?

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 585
  • -Received: 508
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 01:57:18 PM »
Intelligence has nothing to do with it.  People with higher intelligence are more likely to believe that they have more control over their fate and less inclined to want to subscribe to a belief that tells them otherwise.

Personally, I am a Christian.  I think logically speaking, it is impossible to explain the existence of the universe without a diety of some sort.  We haven't even gotten to the complexities of life and the unique nature of human beings.

Offline .

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 140
  • -Received: 73
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »
I predict this thread will have at least 10 pages.

couple question:
1. In English, can we have God"S" or just God?
2. Can multiple God co-exist?  or they dont share power?
3. Can a person believe in multiple God/Religion?

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2181
  • -Received: 3576
  • 3CWG
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 02:23:04 PM »
Well, those nonbelievers are probably pretty smart.

Atheists 'have higher IQs': Their intelligence 'makes them more likely to dismiss religion as irrational and unscientific'
I've read that Stephen Hawking is an Atheist and does not believe in God, but I think Einstein believed in a higher power... like an Agnostic.

Christopher Langan... the highest IQ in the US believes in God.

Not sure about Kim Ung-Yong... but maybe he believes in Johns Creek. :)

I think Bill Gates is Catholic.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 02:34:13 PM »
I predict this thread will have at least 10 pages.

couple question:
1. In English, can we have God"S" or just God?
2. Can multiple God co-exist?  or they dont share power?
3. Can a person believe in multiple God/Religion?

1.  Gods do exist in the English language...usually describing other religions and cultures (i.e. Chinese or Greek).  US is dominated by the the Abrahamic religions, which all preach the existence of one true God.
2.  Multiple Gods mean an hierarchy like the pantheon of gods in Chinese/Greek culture.
3.  It depends on the religion...Christianity/Judaism/Islam preaches that there is only one God and all other religions are false.

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 06:15:59 PM »
Personally, I am a Christian.  I think logically speaking, it is impossible to explain the existence of the universe without a diety of some sort.  We haven't even gotten to the complexities of life and the unique nature of human beings.

isnt this the whole point of religion?  to explain what science has not explained yet?  you had the rain gods when no one knew why it rained, you had the fire gods, etc.. is this a chicken/egg argument?  isnt the right statement, logically speaking it is impossible to explain the existence of god?

Online eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 348
  • -Received: 599
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »
One thing to consider, we have the right to practice religion in the US. This is what this country was founded on.

Unfortunately there are other places in this world that will stone/kill you because you don't believe in their god.

Offline .

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 08:16:31 PM »
i am almost Atheists and maybe a little bit of buddhism.  i dont believe in god.  however, when i go to the temple with my family, i will kneel down and pray.

on the other hand, i love religious people.  One of my friend never drink alcohol because he thinks bible forbid him. 

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 08:25:06 AM »

isnt this the whole point of religion?  to explain what science has not explained yet?  you had the rain gods when no one knew why it rained, you had the fire gods, etc.. is this a chicken/egg argument?  isnt the right statement, logically speaking it is impossible to explain the existence of god?

I was just addressing IHO's original point about science and the existence of God.  On a very logical basis, you can't explain the existence of God but conversely, it is impossible to explain the universe without one.

As for your point, that is only true for very primitive religions (Egyptians for example).  But the Abrahamic religions spend very little time on explaining how things are.  The New Testament, for example, is completely about personal salvation, your relationship with God, and what it means to be a Christian.  Nothing in there about how things came to be or why they are the way the are. 

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 08:25:36 AM »
i am almost Atheists and maybe a little bit of buddhism.  i dont believe in god.  however, when i go to the temple with my family, i will kneel down and pray.

on the other hand, i love religious people.  One of my friend never drink alcohol because he thinks bible forbid him.

I am curious why you do not believe in a god.

Offline paperboyNC

• Thanks
  • -Given: 313
  • -Received: 250
  • Portola Springs
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 09:10:33 AM »
Arguments for a "God":

• This earth works too well to be created by chance. When we find the Egyptian pyramids, do we think they were created by chance?
  • Life (including insects) is so incredible that science has not come even close to duplicating it.

Arguments against a "God":
  • Who created him?
  • Why is there a lot of suffering in this world if he is all powerful?

Offline qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 09:12:30 AM »
My belief is people fear the unknown and believing in God/religion alleviates that fear because the unknown is now attributed to gods doing. They have a leader that will show them the way and give them hope

Offline .

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 09:26:22 AM »
see next post
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:32:26 AM by yaliu07 »

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]