roof rain gutter

yaliu07

I saw couple my neighbors installed roof rain gutter.  But in southern CA, we rarely rarely rarely have rain.  any pros and cons to install roof rain gutter?

It helps keep water away from your foundation. Also helps with any potential erosion, but like you said, not much rain.  Sometimes when it rains though it's pretty strong so the runoff from the roof will be pouring down from 30 ft or so and will hit the dirt/plants directly which could damage the plants.

plan to install rain gutter.  however, i can't find any recommendation on rain gutter installer.  does anyone have any good recommendation?

Wish I could help you out. We did it on our new home years ago and if I remember correctly, it was fairly inexpensive and quick to install.

The guys have all the material mounted on their truck and they just churn out the gutters, go up the ladders and nail them in.

But I don't remember their contact info. I'm sure you can Yelp for a good company.

Even though it doesn't rain that much, you will appreciate them when it does... plus it's easier to hang the holiday lights off of them. :)

5 inch gutter or 6 inch gutter.  from my research, 6 inch gutter can hold twice amount water as 5 inch gutter. 

hmm, i asked the wrong questions in the previous post.  i should ask is 6 inch gutter worthy to install?  is 5 inch gutter sufficient for CA weather??

Considering it doesn't rain as much, if 5" is cheaper, go with it.

The purpose of rain gutters isn't really how much water it can hold but how much it can drain off... and if it does fill over, if it's raining that much, does it matter?

irvinehomeowner said:
For downspout I would recommend the largest volume that doesn't look too obtrusive.

You really want it to drain fast and clog less.

check my HOA design guide.
My HOA guideline says "Diverters, downspouts, and gutters shall match those originally installed by the Merchant Builder." and my builder used 2"X3" downspouts.  :(

Thanks

Back