Amazon Fire TV Stick

irvinehomeowner

Move over Chromecast... Amazon introduces their Fire TV on a stick:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GDQ0RMG

m-slate-01-lg-novid._V322539678_.jpgp

I went ahead an pre-ordered this because of 2 things:

1. As a Prime member, for the next 2 days you can buy it for $19 (normally $39)
2. It comes with a remote.

We use our Chromecast quite a bit (it's really good for viewing Chrome webpages on the big screen) but having a remote so you can access Netflix and YouTube without having to use your smartphone is a plus. It makes it easier for the kids to use it. And at $19, it's got better specs than the Chromecast.

Plus I want to see what kind of games we can play on it.

I'm interested in getting either a Chromecast or Amazon Fire too.  Please let us know hows Amazon Fire stick perform once you get them.

$19 is a great price but this device is not for me. Over the past few years, I've found that I highly prefer using my phone/tablet/laptop to 'cast' or 'AirPlay' media to the TV. The apps/sites I use most often to do this are YouTube, Netflix, and Plex. I don't want to use to the remote to search for videos on YouTube, etc.

I already have the popular streaming apps on my TV.  It's a little cumbersome but it works.

The newer TVs even come with keyboards and mouse so I'm good.

zovall said:
$19 is a great price but this device is not for me. Over the past few years, I've found that I highly prefer using my phone/tablet/laptop to 'cast' or 'AirPlay' media to the TV. The apps/sites I use most often to do this are YouTube, Netflix, and Plex. I don't want to use to the remote to search for videos on YouTube, etc.
You can do both.

There is an Amazon Fire TV app for Android (coming soon for iOS) and it also supports their infamous "Voice Search".

Irvinecommuter said:
I already have the popular streaming apps on my TV.  It's a little cumbersome but it works.

The newer TVs even come with keyboards and mouse so I'm good.
We have that on our newest TV and on our Sammie BD player on our 2007 52" TV, but our 2008 46" is a dumb TV so the Fire Stick is for that one.

I was thinking about the Roku but this chart seems to favor the Fire Stick:

m-showme-compare-chart-v1.jpg

irvinehomeowner said:
zovall said:
Over the past few years, I've found that I highly prefer using my phone/tablet/laptop to 'cast' or 'AirPlay' media to the TV. The apps/sites I use most often to do this are YouTube, Netflix, and Plex. I don't want to use to the remote to search for videos on YouTube, etc.
You can do both.

There is an Amazon Fire TV app for Android (coming soon for iOS) and it also supports their infamous "Voice Search".

Are you sure you can 'cast' media from the Android YouTube app or the Android Netflix app to the Amazon Fire TV stick?

Like you, I'm a fan of the Chromecast too. I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts once you get it.

@zovall:

Yes, they call it "flinging":

Use your iOS or Android device to fling music and movies to your HDTV?and control playback?from apps like YouTube and Spotify.

And on Android (or Fire) devices, you can also mirror:

Or, share movies, TV shows, music, and photos from your compatible tablet or phone with everyone in your living room using display mirroring. What you see on your Fire OS or Android device is exactly what you?ll see on your big screen.

For $20 why not.  It's main advantage is that it can stream Amazon videos, which Chrome does not.  But then I don't even use my chromecast.  Ship date is now 12/11, must be doing well in presales

ps9 said:
Ship date is now 12/11, must be doing well in presales
I pre-ordered mine when I posted this and was given an est ship date of 12/3.

It's supposed to come out on 11/19 so mine is already delayed 2 weeks.

Back