Does anyone else get the OC Register delivered?

irvinehomeowner

I''m one of those dinosaurs who still gets the paper delivered daily.

On Friday, instead of the OCReg, they delivered the Wall Street Journal.

On Saturday, I got no paper and when I called their customer service line, there was a recorded message that they changed their delivery contractor and that due to high call volume no one can answer any calls.

Today, still no paper, called two different numbers and got the same "can't answer calls" message. Even their Live Chat says that no reps are available.

Can't connect to their online account service and their Olive ePaper is having issues.

They just recently shut down their LA Register service and I'm wondering if there is something more going on here.

The only thing I could find online about it was this:
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2014/10/oc_varsity_oc_register.php

Anyone else having this problem?

It's the new lean service model

People are happier being liked on social media than they are getting actual customer service

Got mine today delivered on driveway with plastic wrap, used OS deal to get the Sunday paper only.  You can have mine if you want, wife got dibs on the coupons though

Depending on what shakes out here... I'll probably switch to the Sunday only with digital 7-day.

Makes too much mess anyways and I find myself reading the paper less and less.

Yes, pick up the paper on the porch before I drop the typewriter off at the repair shop and pour gunpowder into the camera.

I have the Sunday paper delivered but mainly rely on the daily PDF through Olive to read on my iPad.

No paper delivered for me today Sunday. I tried to call and got a message saying I could not talk to anyone because call volume was too high. I tried doing online chat without any success. And their customer service website was not working either. I was able to send them an email that I didn't get a newspaper, but that's it; no response back in any way. Not that it's that big of a deal to me since I prefer the PDF. But, it's the principle of the matter.

I don't pay for newspaper. I read articles online. Show my coupons on my phone at stores/restaurants, however there are some places that need the printed copy, so I have to print it out.

I guess someone has to pay for the content: advertising and subscription

Didn't get my Sunday Register either, nor today's paper.  Didn't bother calling, good riddance I'm over the Register - only getting it now cuz they offered it free for a year.

Yep... still no paper... finally was able to look at my account info and my subscription doesn't end until November.

This is probably going to be an issue for OCReg considering they had to shut down their LA paper and we all know dead tree news isn't gaining in popularity.

The Register was using the LA Times to deliver their papers, until last week or so. I guess they figured they could do it cheaper themselves. Yup, it's much cheaper if you don't deliver the papers at all.

Aquabliss, how'd you get a free year? I guess you get what you pay for.

I'm paying $2.99 per week (billed monthly) for the Sunday + digital access.

This was in today's paper:

ScreenShot2014-10-07at74145AM_zpsa43ef045.png

NYT said:
Aquabliss, how'd you get a free year?

When you buy a house in a Pavilion Park, they give you 1 free year of OC Register.  Or maybe I could look at it as I'm paying $1M for a year of the Register, and they gave me a free house.

I only get the Sunday paper and we paid $1 to some Boy Scout that came knocking on our door.  I'm sure it's been over a year and we're still getting the paper.  No wonder that these guys don't make any money.  :p  My wife talked to another parent who said they have the same deal and they still get theirs as well.  So I can't complain.  We did not get last Sunday's but I am glad it did not come.  I left my house early on Sunday to go on a business trip and knew no one would be around to pick it up this week.  I didn't see it on the driveway when I left so I was concerned that it would be lying on my driveway advertising that our house was vacant.  Once I started seeing people on this forum complaining about it, I figured that maybe it was a larger issue and it was. 

Finally got my paper today... but instead of in the little orange plastic baggy, it had a rubber band around it (old school) and thus was also a little damp from the morning condensation.

I'm going to switch to digital and see what type of discounts they give me.

Man I absolutely hate this paper.  Here's a review I wrote about OCR.

Watch out for this very unscrupulous company.  I have had three negative experiences with them in 6 months.

First:  I moved locations and changed my delivery address, it took the Register 4-weeks to finally deliver my paper to the correct location.  Not a big deal since they credited my account, but it gets much worse.

Second: I recently moved to a brand new home in a brand new community.  I had to call 5 times to get my address corrected each time they read back to me my address and assured me it is corrected in the system.  To this day, they still have my address at the incorrect city.  I just paid for a full-yr subscription.  I called to cancel my subscription before even receiving an issue.  For some reason the Register's system doesn't account for the paid subscription so I never received my money back and I had to dispute the charge with my cc.

Third: my parents' also wanted the Register so they ordered the paper.  They paid their subscription in full for a year, but now they're getting billed on a monthly basis.  They didn't want to go through all of the BS I've been through so they just cancelled their subscription eating the fully paid subscription.

Oh and once you cancel, be prepared for the bi-weekly phone calls from the Register!  Luckily I am able to block their calls.

I can't wait for this company to go out of business, it's just a matter of time.

Back