EV/Plug-In/Hydrogen Fuel Cell - Cars

Among all of EV, either hybrid, plug-in or hydrogen full cell, I believe Hydrogen Full Cell has the best potential of replacing internal combustion engine in the long future.  But for now and near future, hybrid or plug-in hybrid with internal combustion engine will remain dominance. 

Current trend is moving hybrids from a boring economy box to a super sexy, high performance sport car.  Just look the new breed of high end sport cars like Porsche 918 Spyder, McLaren P1, Ferrari LaFerrari, BMW i8 and Acura NSX, they are all hybrids with both internal combustion engine and electric motor.

I'm contemplate to replace my thirsty 8 cylinder BMW with a plug-in hybrid like the one below. :)

Attachments

• i8.jpg
    i8.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 333
lnc said:
Among all of EV, either hybrid, plug-in or hydrogen full cell, I believe Hydrogen Full Cell has the best potential of replacing internal combustion engine in the long future.  But for now and near future, hybrid or plug-in hybrid with internal combustion engine will remain dominance. 

Current trend is moving hybrids from a boring economy box to a super sexy, high performance sport car.  Just look the new breed of high end sport cars like Porsche 918 Spyder, McLaren P1, Ferrari LaFerrari, BMW i8 and Acura NSX, they are all hybrids with both internal combustion engine and electric motor.

I'm contemplate to replace my thirsty 8 cylinder BMW with a plug-in hybrid like the one below. :)

+1 plug-in hybrid is the way to go

I think the green stickers are only for the first 55,000 buyers right? Anyone know if that many have been sold yet?

If more EVs use Tesla tech, won't they be better than hydrogen?

I think the problem with hydrogen is you are still beholden to the pump.

#cutthecord

SubSolar said:
I think the green stickers are only for the first 55,000 buyers right? Anyone know if that many have been sold yet?

As of August 25, 2014, 52,034 "green" stickers have been issued according to government's web site but that's not counting the green sticker applications already in the pipeline but not yet issued.  Looks like it will run out pretty soon.http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

irvinehomeowner said:
If more EVs use Tesla tech, won't they be better than hydrogen?

I think the problem with hydrogen is you are still beholden to the pump.

#cutthecord

You definitely need go to the pump but refueling with hydrogen is lot faster than recharging a battery powered EV.  But hydrogen, hydrogen fulling and hydrogen full cell still far from being a cost effective alternative.  We will definitely see a lot more pure plug-in battery powered EV  before we see HFC vehicles in any significant numbers. 

Hopefully the plug in cars can be nice looking.  It's either mid range - entry luxury pricing for ugly... or pricey for a Tesla.  lol

jmoney74 said:
Hopefully the plug in cars can be nice looking.  It's either mid range - entry luxury pricing for ugly... or pricey for a Tesla.  lol

Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche have Plug-In or EV cars that are out now or soon to be released.

Also, the new Volt is "rumored" is in the works.
Wireless charging for the Toyota Prius Plug-In (2016) and Honda Fit EV. Toyota and Honda are "testing" the wireless charging station. So how it would work, install it in your garage, and the vehicle will drive over the charging device.

eyephone said:
jmoney74 said:

Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Audi, Porsche have Plug-In or EV cars that are out now or soon to be released.

Also, the new Volt is "rumored" is in the works.
Wireless charging for the Toyota Prius Plug-In (2016) and Honda Fit EV. Toyota and Honda are "testing" the wireless charging station. So how it would work, install it in your garage, and the vehicle will drive over the charging device.

yes.. i'm guessing it will be similar to the cell phone battery tech. 

lnc said:
SubSolar said:

As of August 25, 2014, 52,034 "green" stickers have been issued according to government's web site but that's not counting the green sticker applications already in the pipeline but not yet issued.  Looks like it will run out pretty soon.http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm
I had read that they are near expanding the total to 80,000 stickers.  With the soon to be increase in gas prices driven by the higher taxes, there will be more incentives to go with a hybrid / plug in / ev. 

The Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) landscape is interesting. 2016 model BEVs will have more range for less $. Leafs will get near 180 miles. 2017 Tesla will have a 3 series killer for $35k going 200 miles. Meanwhile, charging infrastructure continues its massive expansion.

Green stickers are limited - whether they add more or not - so plugins will soon have no carpool lane advantage.

All of this points to the plug in hybrids of today being the fax machines of tomorrow. I'd do a 2 year lease on a plug in knowing obsolescence beckons.

Rice Vino said:
The Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) landscape is interesting. 2016 model BEVs will have more range for less $. Leafs will get near 180 miles. 2017 Tesla will have a 3 series killer for $35k going 200 miles. Meanwhile, charging infrastructure continues its massive expansion.

Green stickers are limited - whether they add more or not - so plugins will soon have no carpool lane advantage.

All of this points to the plug in hybrids of today being the fax machines of tomorrow. I'd do a 2 year lease on a plug in knowing obsolescence beckons.

I don't know about that, the 2016 Leaf will get 180 miles per charge.

Plug-in is ideal for: commuting to work, weekend car, traveling long distance.

eyephone said:
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1408-report-next-nissan-leaf-to-have-180-mile-range/

For the redesigned Leaf, this report says that Nissan will use a new battery technology with greater energy density to reach a range that could be as high as 180 miles on a single charge. This new battery technology will also be shared with Infiniti as it prepares its first premium EV that may share a platform with the new Nissan Leaf. To keep the Leaf?s cost down, Nissan may also offer multiple models of the Leaf with varying battery pack sizes and driving ranges.

eyephone said:

Once plug-in hybrids lose sticker status, there is no advantage to buying one. Payback is harder to justify.

now if a leaf would give me 180 miles then i would buy one as my commuter/weekend car. since my wife would have the regular car we could take to SD or longer road trips.  Or we could install a fast charger at the in-laws and drive the leaf down there.

Rice Vino said:
eyephone said:
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1408-report-next-nissan-leaf-to-have-180-mile-range/

For the redesigned Leaf, this report says that Nissan will use a new battery technology with greater energy density to reach a range that could be as high as 180 miles on a single charge. This new battery technology will also be shared with Infiniti as it prepares its first premium EV that may share a platform with the new Nissan Leaf. To keep the Leaf?s cost down, Nissan may also offer multiple models of the Leaf with varying battery pack sizes and driving ranges.

eyephone said:

Once plug-in hybrids lose sticker status, there is no advantage to buying one. Payback is harder to justify.

That's what they say - 180 miles per charge. The reason why I don't think so, because at the current price point. They will have to increase the price with that battery.

Toyota Prius Plug-In Hybrid price with incentives (Fed tax credit, state rebate, Toyota Finance rebate, Zero percent financing). It is cheaper to buy a Plug-in Hybrid than a regular Toyota Prius Hybrid or similar vehicle.

eyephone said:
Rice Vino said:

A Plug-In can do anything your normal car or normal hybrid can, just at a higher mileage with the potential advantage of during your day to day drive, you can run on electric only and get super great mileage. A pure EV, even at 180 miles, is still limited to the 180 miles or charging stops. Where as the plug-in, serves as your standard hybrid with the added advantage of giving you a semi-ev feel, all at a pretty similar net cost (after factoring in tax savings) as your typical hybrid. 

Bullsback said:
A Plug-In can do anything your normal car or normal hybrid can, just at a higher mileage with the potential advantage of during your day to day drive, you can run on electric only and get super great mileage. A pure EV, even at 180 miles, is still limited to the 180 miles or charging stops. Where as the plug-in, serves as your standard hybrid with the added advantage of giving you a semi-ev feel, all at a pretty similar net cost (after factoring in tax savings) as your typical hybrid. 

yeah but at 180 vs 80 miles is a huge difference.  i drive 45 miles each way to work.  there are more EV cars at my office than chargers so i run the risk of not being able to get home. at 180 mile range the car becomes very practical, much closer to prime time, perhaps even prime time. dont have to worry about charging at work. can drive around the whole weekend without having to worry about recharging or set up my schedule around charging the car. even at 180 miles you probably need a second ICE car if you need to make long trips, but if you dont take them frequently, you can always rent a car. with 180 mile range you still cant get to vegas. and if they did have chargers on the way to vegas they would need to be level 3 chargers that can charge a leaf to 80% in about 30 minutes, anything less than level 3 would not be practical.

Back