Door from garage into house

ZeroLot

The door from garage into the house slams shit by itself really quickly and fast. Just a matter of time before someone looses a finger.

Anyone know what I can buy to turn a door into a soft close door?  Or how to disable it from closing on itself so quickly?

Many thanks in advance for saving the little Zerolots precious piano fingers.

Call the builder and ask them to loosen it up.

One of the shutter vendors who visited my home (I think Windows Decorators) noticed the same issue in my house. They said this is how builders set it up to avoid doors being open (?!). And their recommendation was to get the builder (home warranty service) back to fix the tension. Apparently there is a screw that can ease it up.

There's a screw on the hydraulic hinge to fix this, I adjusted it on mine a few times but never got it just right, then had a handy man come to fix some things and asked him to adjust the door as well... After that it worked like a dream.

Sam78 said:

One of the shutter vendors who visited my home (I think Windows Decorators) noticed the same issue in my house. They said this is how builders set it up to avoid doors being open (?!). And their recommendation was to get the builder (home warranty service) back to fix the tension. Apparently there is a screw that can ease it up.

It is not an issue. It is intentional. It is done for fire-protection. It is code. The door leading from the attached garage to the home must be self-closing to prevent spread of a fire. 

SoCal said:
Sam78 said:

It is not an issue. It is intentional. It is done for fire-protection. It is code. The door leading from the attached garage to the home must be self-closing to prevent spread of a fire. 

SoCal is right about the fire code.  When I sold my previous house, I had to replace the broken tension hinge in order to met the code. 

You can adjust the tension fairly easily and you can also disable the tension completely by removing the pin.  Our IP's tension hinges are pretty universal and very easy to adjust
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/adjust-springloaded-door-hinge-31659.html

I was able to pull the middle pin out of the middle hinge using plyers. The bottom hinge however I was unable to pull out since it is really stuck in there and the position of the hinge makes it hard to have leverage. I just left one pin in and it is better than with all in.

Thanks for all the input.  I contacted the builder and they came today to fix it.  He also told me I needed a 3/32 hex key to change future settings properly with our door hinges in Marigold.  That hex key can also pop the privacy lock on a bathroom door.  Very useful if a toddler gets themselves locked in the bathroom. 

Anyhow back to the hinges ... It turns out the hinges on my door were too tight and the force could knock a grown person over ... And chop off fingers.

It is true about the fire code but my door can still self close but at a lesser force now.  It's no longer the "guillotine door".

Along the install I had them check the transformer in my closet that controls the porch light and it turns out it was defective.  So I got that replaced today as well.

Plus I made a good impression with the builder electrician ... And he helped me install a light in my closet today. Super sweet deal day.

lnc said:
SoCal said:
Sam78 said:

SoCal is right about the fire code.  When I sold my previous house, I had to replace the broken tension hinge in order to met the code. 

You can adjust the tension fairly easily and you can also disable the tension completely by removing the pin.  Our IP's tension hinges are pretty universal and very easy to adjust
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/adjust-springloaded-door-hinge-31659.html

Wow, I would have never known. Thank you.

Back