42" wide fridge

lovingit

I am searching for a 42" wide by 84" tall fridge.  I prefer one with a ice maker and dispenser outside the door.  design center is offering Monogram for $5-6k.
I read that the GE side by side Monograms suck and break down.

I dont think Samsungs and LG make 42"
Am I stuck with Jenn Air or Viking or the higher end ones that cost over $10k?
Any luck or do I have to go check out Sears (no prices online) or Pacific Sales or Ferguson?

Don't get GE.  They are offered by many of the design centers.  Yeah its cheaper, but you get what you pay for.  I've heard many people having bad experiences with GE.  Not sure whats top notch.

I ran into this dilemma when we moved in April.  Built in fridges are insanely overpriced, but unfortunately there aren't many options.  All the available fridges start at the $8500 range and go up from there depending on brand.  $5-6K for the GE Monogram is actually a really good price.  Our builder (lennar) was offering the fridge at $6500 and after looking for a comparable fridge for 3-4 months, we decided to just go with the builder (even though it goes into the purchase price and then is taxed yearly), unfortunately we informed them too late and had to shop for a fridge on our own. 

We eventually lucked out and got a brand new fridge from Sears Outlet (not refurbished, not display, no blemishes) for $4500 and in a style we wanted (french door).  After delivery, installation and extended warranty we ended up spending around $5500.  Luckily we had an old fridge in storage that we could use while our fridge was shipping to our new house.  After all the trouble, I would probably recommend that you use the builder so the fridge is installed when you move in as long as you like the style that the builder is offering (side by side vs french door).  I researched most of the brands, and they ALL have build/reliability problems.  The best reviewed built in fridges unfortunately are also the most expensive, Sub Zero.  But it seems that in this case you may actually get what you pay for.  If I could have stomached paying $11-14K for a fridge, definitely would have went with the Sub Zero.

Does your builder offer an option to add a secondary fridge in the pantry area or undercounter refrigeration drawers?  These are also kinda pricey, but I think a 42" built in doesn't have a lot of room cuz of the counter depth.  It might be worthwhile to investigate as nobody ever said they had too much refrigeration.  I hate the ghetto second fridge in the garage and usually those suck up energy.  A side by side in the kitchen with a French door integrated fridge and/or refrigeration drawers in another area might be the best option albeit quite pricey.  But, in a couple of years, you'll thank yourself for the extra refrigeration space especially when having a party or entertaining over the holidays.  Just food for thought.  Plus, I like spending other people's money.  ;)

lovingit said:
I am searching for a 42" wide by 84" tall fridge.  I prefer one with a ice maker and dispenser outside the door.  design center is offering Monogram for $5-6k.
I read that the GE side by side Monograms suck and break down.

I dont think Samsungs and LG make 42"
Am I stuck with Jenn Air or Viking or the higher end ones that cost over $10k?
Any luck or do I have to go check out Sears (no prices online) or Pacific Sales or Ferguson?

LG does make a 42" built-in fridge!  It's part of their LG Studio line, model LSSB2791ST.

Unfortunately, this model is so new, they are hard to find. But I trust the LG brand and like their design.  A lot of the 42" fridges don't come with external water/ice dispenser. And those few that do, have an ugly dispenser.  The one on this LG looks sleek.

I ordered one from interstateappliance.com ($7300, no tax, free shipping from CO). It only takes 5 days to ship out to CA, but it takes several weeks for them to get items from LG depending on inventory as these are made in S. Korea.

Looking at 42's as well.  I agree the ice dispenser looks ugly on most units, but that LG looks better.  It's got a taller opening as well for larger cups.

I'm kicking myself for not buying through the builder.  They have the Sub-zero for $8,930 (internal dispenser) and $9,430 (external dispenser).  That is $1,000 less than retail and no tax to boot.  I've called the 5 or so authorized dealers in the area and they are all charging list price.

I've been thinking about the LG as well, but I can't find a single review on it.  Were you able to find reviews?  I ordered the ConsumerReports review and nothing in there.  Just concerned about long term maintenance.  Any insight that helped you decide to go with LG would be appreciated.  I've read reviews on other LG fridges and they seem good, but I'm not sure that I can translate those to the 42 inch market (maybe so, but I don't know enough about it).  Thanks

Marty said:
Looking at 42's as well.  I agree the ice dispenser looks ugly on most units, but that LG looks better.  It's got a taller opening as well for larger cups.

I'm kicking myself for not buying through the builder.  They have the Sub-zero for $8,930 (internal dispenser) and $9,430 (external dispenser).  That is $1,000 less than retail and no tax to boot.  I've called the 5 or so authorized dealers in the area and they are all charging list price.

I've been thinking about the LG as well, but I can't find a single review on it.  Were you able to find reviews?  I ordered the ConsumerReports review and nothing in there.  Just concerned about long term maintenance.  Any insight that helped you decide to go with LG would be appreciated.  I've read reviews on other LG fridges and they seem good, but I'm not sure that I can translate those to the 42 inch market (maybe so, but I don't know enough about it).  Thanks

Yeah, they give you good deals through the builder; but I hate the fact that all upgrade costs gets added to the base price of our home.

Anyway, I did see ONE review for the LG LSSB2791ST here; but it doesn't say much.  The reason I'm sold on the LG is because of my previous experience with their products. Our current LG fridge is 11+ years old and it's still running quitely and we never had any issues with it.  Our LG dishwasher and oven, too, are trouble-free ever since we got them.  We did replace our LG washer after 8 years and the gas valve in the dryer, but other than that, LG has been good to us.

WTTCMN said:
IrvinePeon said:
Marty said:

Yeah, they give you good deals through the builder; but I hate the fact that all upgrade costs gets added to the base price of our home.

Anyway, I did see ONE review for the LG LSSB2791ST here; but it doesn't say much.  The reason I'm sold on the LG is because of my previous experience with their products. Our current LG fridge is 11+ years old and it's still running quitely and we never had any issues with it.  Our LG dishwasher and oven, too, are trouble-free ever since we got them.  We did replace our LG washer after 8 years and the gas valve in the dryer, but other than that, LG has been good to us.

Not necessarily. Ask your builder if you can buy it from them after COE. We actually "missed" the cutoff for fridge upgrade then changed our minds about 3 weeks prior to closing. They let us buy it from them after COE so it doesn't get added to the base price of the house.

Yes, that worked, just spoke with builder.  They let me buy it after COE.  Saved $1,000 on the fridge and no delivery/set up fee (sounds alot better than saying I spend $9K on a fridge).  Had to pay tax, but doesn't add to the basis of the property tax

Back