No threads on the upcoming election (or politics) ?

Politics tend to get heated... and I think the more politically inclined individuals are either discussing this elsewhere or biting their tongue.

bitmaster20 said:
I don't think I have ever seen a thread related to Irvine politics. Is it a frowned upon topic on TI?

I say go for it. When TI first started there was much enthusiasm for hot button issues but that quickly died down. People took things personally quickly and all jumped shipped (my guess would be OC Reader--but I haven't wandered there yet).

I think the focus here has always been RE and all other threads tend to be more peripheral. That wasn't as much the case at the old IHB. Now the Irvine / OC internet world has fractured into separate camps.

I will reiterate back from the old IHB... I am not a big fan of Universal Healthcare... I would rather have Universal Donutcare.

SoCal78 said:
Meg Whitman housekeeper "scandal" - Go!

I don't understand what the scandal is.  Meg Whitman, and her husband, have both said that they did not know the housekeeper was illegal until June '09, and, upon learning the information, they fired her immediately.  Gloria Allred's "evidence" that Whitman knew about the housekeeper's immigration status was a letter from the SSA with Whitman's husband's handwriting on it, asking the housekeeper, Nicky, to look into the letter.  However, this letter was simply sent to verify SSA information because reported information did not match the records, and employee earnings could not be added to the SSA record correctly.

The letter also clearly stated that "Any employer that uses this information in this letter to justify taking adverse action against an employee may violate state and federal law and be subject to legal consequences."  By law, Whitman was not allowed to fire "Nicky" with this letter.

The agency that Whitman used to hire the housekeeper also provided a SSA card, along with a driver's license, both of which were forged, but Whitman did not know that.  When provided with the proper documentation, it is safe and logical for anyone, including Whitman, to believe that the employee is legal, especially when going through an agency.

Whitman did everything required by the law.  There really is, and should be, no scandal.  When Whitman found out Nicky was illegal, she fired her.  Plus, I find the timing that the story was released very suspicious.  Considering that Nicky was fired in June of '09, why did she wait this long to come forward with the information, if she felt so offended by Whitman, who, she claims, "threw her out like a piece of garbage?"  Why wait until a few weeks before Election Day, and a day before a Whitman-Brown debate on Spanish-Language television, to speak out?  And her attorney is Gloria Allred, a very strong supporter of Brown, and they both go way back. 

ajw522 said:
SoCal78 said:

I don't understand what the scandal is.  Meg Whitman, and her husband, have both said that they did not know the housekeeper was illegal until June '09, and, upon learning the information, they fired her immediately.  Gloria Allred's "evidence" that Whitman knew about the housekeeper's immigration status was a letter from the SSA with Whitman's husband's handwriting on it, asking the housekeeper, Nicky, to look into the letter.  However, this letter was simply sent to verify SSA information because reported information did not match the records, and employee earnings could not be added to the SSA record correctly.

The letter also clearly stated that "Any employer that uses this information in this letter to justify taking adverse action against an employee may violate state and federal law and be subject to legal consequences."  By law, Whitman was not allowed to fire "Nicky" with this letter.

The agency that Whitman used to hire the housekeeper also provided a SSA card, along with a driver's license, both of which were forged, but Whitman did not know that.  When provided with the proper documentation, it is safe and logical for anyone, including Whitman, to believe that the employee is legal, especially when going through an agency.

Whitman did everything required by the law.  There really is, and should be, no scandal.  When Whitman found out Nicky was illegal, she fired her.  Plus, I find the timing that the story was released very suspicious.  Considering that Nicky was fired in June of '09, why did she wait this long to come forward with the information, if she felt so offended by Whitman, who, she claims, "threw her out like a piece of garbage?"  Why wait until a few weeks before Election Day, and a day before a Whitman-Brown debate on Spanish-Language television, to speak out?  And her attorney is Gloria Allred, a very strong supporter of Brown, and they both go way back. 

All of this is a sideshow! Let's get back to real issues. California's state government is dysfunctional and bloated. We need to create jobs, cut spending / waste, and have state constitutional reforms to end budgetary paralysis and raise the bar for propositions.

I think Whitman not actively voting is more "scandalous".

If you are interested in politics, you should have been voting more often.

But I don't think that speaks to her ability to do the job... just sayin'.

Does anyone have any insight on the candidates for City Council and Mayor of Irvine? The candidates websites are mostly fluff, talking about things that they plan to do. I would rather have information about their past (how they voted on certain issues, what causes did they support).

Same goes for the candidates for IUSD.

Blueberry East said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I will reiterate back from the old IHB... I am not a big fan of Universal Healthcare... I would rather have Universal Donutcare.

For a moment I was tempted to write a long explanation of why you are wrong, wrong, wrong about Universal Healthcare. But then I realized I have neither the energy nor the attention span to argue about politics in the Internet.
What am I "wrong, wrong, wrong" about? I just said I'm not a fan... no specifics or details. Now if you are commenting on my desire for Donutcare... them's fighting words!

I don't really know all that many specifics about the Irvine City Council or other candidates than what I read on the websites, newspaper and voting ballots. I tend to not stick with the same people who keep rotating in and out of different positions every vote as I think new people always help with perspective and views.

I really just pay attention to what their stance is on fiscal matters so that usually steers me towards financially conservative candidates.

iacrenter said:
ajw522 said:
SoCal78 said:

All of this is a sideshow! Let's get back to real issues. California's state government is dysfunctional and bloated. We need to create jobs, cut spending / waste, and have state constitutional reforms to end budgetary paralysis and raise the bar for propositions.

This is definitely the case, and actually, that is one thing I like about Meg Whitman - if the budget isn't approved by the deadline specified by the constitution, politicians will not receive pay, and will not be allowed to host fundraisers.  You got to have some consequence in place for not passing the budget on time, and going almost 100 days without a budget is absolutely unacceptable.

And regarding propositions:  The system is flawed.  Both sides, for and against the prop, are allowed to lie, and when you read the voter's guide, you never know what to believe.  You never really know what you are voting for.

Also, Meg Whitman has a plan, a plan specifically for creating new Jobs and in general, her Plan in General for California.  While it may be false, etc., it's still better than what Brown offers:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Cam794RM0&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

jumpcut said:
I'm glad you're too young to vote.
Speaking of, Chris Moore is a 19 year old running for Irvine City Council:
http://www.chrismoore2010.com/

Don't know about that Boy Scout uniform, though.

Also... Yunus Askoy is upset because 200 of his political signs have disappeared from Irvine roads.

Those things get more abundant every year... and I wonder out of how many of those candidates pay the bond to ensure they will be removed the day after the elections. Makes Irvine look like a giant open house.

Blueberry East said:
It would have been better for everyone if they all would have had visa problems.

Their videos are good but they should not do live shows.

What is up with the screaming???
I can't really hear the singers.  I only hear the screams and BAD sing-along.

Back