How much money would you spend on Design Center?

How much money would you spend / did you spend on Design Center?
Lots of people said DC prices are overpriced.  I just think they may change name to 'Shopping Order Center'. 
Earlier I thought design center = designers would help you design your house.  You will get some suggestion and wide samples to choose and get ideas from them.  Now I know ... this is the place for you get a full price list to upgrade your house or stay in standard.

NewIrvineBee said:
How much money would you spend / did you spend on Design Center?
Lots of people said DC prices are overpriced.  I just think they may change name to 'Shopping Order Center'. 
Earlier I thought design center = designers would help you design your house.  You will get some suggestion and wide samples to choose and get ideas from them.  Now I know ... this is the place for you get a full price list to upgrade your house or stay in standard.

Are you missing a digit in the ranges?  Seems like a very narrow range with a peak at >$11,000.

Why buy new if you don't want to upgrade or customize? At the bare minimum get the recess/can lights for bedrooms. If you have money to spare in your budget, upgrade the kitchen cabinets/countertop. If you have additional cash to spend, think about upgrading the master bath countertop.

Stay away from updating to wood flooring and doing window coverings through the builders (those seem to be the most overpriced upgrades). 

Upgrade the cabinets through the builder, those are more expensive to rip out and change afterwards.

USCTrojanCPA said:
Stay away from updating to wood flooring and doing window coverings through the builders (those seem to be the most overpriced upgrades).

@USCTrojanCPA - Do you know by chance what the design center charges for wood floor?  How much overall should a person budget for builder upgrades (ball park figure)?  Thanks.

AA said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

@USCTrojanCPA - Do you know by chance what the design center charges for wood floor?  How much overall should a person budget for builder upgrades (ball park figure)?  Thanks.

It all depends what you want. There's different types of woods to choose from.

eyephone said:
AA said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

It all depends what you want. There's different types of woods to choose from.

Does anyone know if there is a price list available for upgrades for prospective buyers?

I don't really go by costs as much as the type of work.  Electrical, structural, and anything involving the bathroom, I go with the builder.  Countertops and cabinets are usually good value with the builder. 

USCTrojanCPA said:

Hardwood flooring is something we are considering because we don't want to move all our stuff in and have to rip and replace floors.  They are the biggest headache afterwards.  But I am sure they will cost a lot more through the Design Center.

irvineboy said:
USCTrojanCPA said:

Hardwood flooring is something we are considering because we don't want to move all our stuff in and have to rip and replace floors.  They are the biggest headache afterwards.  But I am sure they will cost a lot more through the Design Center.

You can schedule with the outside contractor to do it after closing and before you move in.  Most jobs can be done in a few days.

We are thinking about upgrading flooring, from standard tiles/carpet,  to Laminate in the living/kitchen and dinning.

Also thinking about getting fans, and can lights in the bedrooms.

I thought about updating counter tops in master bathroom, but will see how much above items would cost.  Our budget is <10K for upgrades.

Tom_Irvine_Guy said:
We are thinking about upgrading flooring, from standard tiles/carpet,  to Laminate in the living/kitchen and dinning.

I thought about updating counter tops in master bathroom, but will see how much above items would cost.  Our budget is <10K for upgrades.

You're going to have to take out the flooring if you want to stay below $10K.  Countertops in the master bathroom will be several thousand already.  Can lights and Fans will be about $1K.

ok, if we have to choose between hardwood flooring or counter tops which one would make sense

Its our 1st home, so have no prior experience. My personal preference would be to go with hardwood flooring ..

But maybe flooring is cheaper outside

Tom_Irvine_Guy said:
ok, if we have to choose between hardwood flooring or counter tops which one would make sense

Its our 1st home, so have no prior experience. My personal preference would be to go with hardwood flooring ..

But maybe flooring is cheaper outside

Go with the countertops...since it's going to be an upgrade, the pricing shouldn't be too bad.  IF you go outside, they'll have to demolish the existing countertop.  Also, I want the builder to be responsible for bathroom stuff.

Flooring is a lot cheaper with an outside contractor...you also have more options.  There is a small inconvenience factor but if you can wait 2-3 days before moving in, you can save quite a lot of money.

Tom_Irvine_Guy said:

Upgrade flooring can be a lot, it's almost $5xxx, maybe more. It depends on your house sq ft. So do it outside contractor.
If I were you, maybe upgrade the countertop and install lights only.

Back