Droid cell phone

cameray

What's your opinion on the Droid cell phone (Motorola or HTC)? If you have one how do you like it?

I don't own one but I played with it (I fiddle with a bunch of phones).

It's amazing they were able to fit a slider qwerty into that form factor. I think the one thing they should have done is left a trackball/pad on the front like other Android phones.

The biggest plus about Droid is Verizon due to data coverage and reliability but as with any wireless provider, it depends on where you circulate.

The Android 2.x operating system is good... but not as intuitive as the iPhone (the consumer benchmark all others must be compared to).

I think the main question is what do you plan to use it for?

When I was looking into the iPhone, I asked my husband about Droid. He said that he had read of various problems (none of which I can remember, but something frustrating for non-techies), so the iPhone was a better fit for me. Essentially, I think he said to wait until the next version or so comes out and the bugs have been ID'd and fixed.

(And no, I don't work for or have stock in Google or Apple or anyone that would like to see either company succeed or fail.)

[quote author="cameray"]What's your opinion on the Droid cell phone (Motorola or HTC)? If you have one how do you like it?[/quote]

Can't talk while browsing your facebook page ... (ie. no data + voice simultaneously).

It's funny because both Sprint and Verizon have phones that they tout as multi-tasking to counter the iPhone... but they can't multi-task what a phone is actually used for... to talk.

Thanks everyone! We've decided to wait until the next version comes out and the bugs have been ID'd and fixed.

I had my BlackBerry fall off the hood of my car Saturday (because I'm a dumb [excrement] and left it there...) which then was promptly squished by several cars. Sunday I got the Verizon Droid phone. So far there are only two complaints:

1) The screen is very sensitive - either that or I'm just heavy handed and not quite used to it. They don't have a way to turn the sensitivity down which seems pretty foolish.

2) Having used a BB for many years, the slide out keyboard is smaller and not as tactile as I'd prefer. It's nice to have individual buttons and for now, until I get used to it, I'm fat fingering it more often than I'd like. This is simply a transition issue IMHO.

The OS is intuitive. Battery life is great. The browser works much better, but isn't 100% yet (No access to Hotmail for example)

My cell experience goes back to over the shoulder phones, through the Motorola Brick, on and on...The Droid is a phone. It's not the "Jesus phone" AKA the Iphone 3g my wife has, but it's a great runner up. If you need a device with a keyboard and not a virtual KB like the BB Storm 2 or the Jesus phone, I'd suggest the Droid.

BTW, because Droid is a trademarked name, your paying George Lucas a bit of your hard earned cash when you buy it.

Back