HELP - RE: Capella Orchard Hills

Although NP is one of best Irvine communities, OH's hill location will have higher potential of appreciation in the future, Just look at Quill Hill and Laguna Altura.  And especially with Capella been a newer home,  I would pick Capella. 

Is the cost of remodeling the NP resale more or less than the cost of upgrades (flooring, window coverings, etc) and landscaping (5 figures even for small lots) at Capella?

What is the comparison of the secondary costs (MRs, HOAs, maintenance of older home)?

While newer + elevated perception has its appreciation, so does lot size and micro location (ie street, what does it back, corner lot etc).

Depending on the NP plan, I would probably choose NP (except you would be a neighbor of that OS guy :) ).

We were in the same boat as you and eventhough we were one of the initial ones to prequalify for Capella when we looked at the yard size decided not to proceed.  But I am rethinking it now.  The yard size looks smaller in Capella partly because of the California Room/Conservatory on Plan 1.  Take that away and the yard size on most of the North Park seems to be similar in size to that of Capella.  Also the resale NP houses that are coming to market seems to be WTF price which makes me think I should have gotten in the first phase of Capella.  Phase I pricing for Plan 1 with the conservatory+California Room option was 1.285 million, assuming up grade about 75K and another 25K for landscaping it would have been still under 1.4 million for the 3,000 sf Capella Plan 1.

WasToldToChangeMyName said:
In my opinion, at some price point, not having a yard will matter at resale. Not sure if that's $1.2m, $1.4m or $1.6m.  Orchard hills is nice but it's not coastal. No views either right?

Depends on who the resale is to.  Fobs don't care about lot size.  They will also pay top dollar for guard gated communities.

Keep in mind that the MR will go away in 15 years at NP and the HOA is half what it is at OH.  Different community.  OH will definitely have a snobbier feel once everything is built out.

Paris, in you price range you should at least consider Pavilion Park Sagewood or Rosemist.  Lot sizes (dep on location) will be much larger than OH. 

I was in the same situation as you 4 months ago.  Although I do believe OH will be better appreciation 10 years from now, we really, really wanted a yard for the kids to play in, so better quality of life for us here I think.

WasToldToChangeMyName said:
Not even sure you can get into rosemist anymore anyway.  Can probably still get into sagewood's last few phases per gasman.

Rosemist is winding down, and I expect to see their models listed shortly.  Their parking lot has been demo'd, and they are starting to build out that last unit.

In your price range OH would be a better option. NP is older
and the floor plans are not very appealing. In ten years OH
will appreciate more than NP.

The gated area west of Culver will appreciate more than NP in the future because of the elevation and lack of small homes and attached condos. 

Back