Landscape designer

J

jmoney74

Do you guys have any contacts for landscape designers?  one that is affordable.  I have a contractor to do the work.. but need someone to do all of the drawings, etc that the GP HOA needs.  Any help from PP residence?

I remember NYT recomends Studio H Landscape Architecture and I had an impression that his landscaping job was pretty impressive.

NYT said:
lnc said:
NYT said:
Having gone the landscape architect route this time, I'd highly recommend getting an architect to design and a contractor to carry out the design. It's an extra chunk of money, but it'll get you a much better end result.

Can you recommend the landscape architect?  Thanks

We used Warwick Hunt from Studio H.
http://studioh-inc.com

Very satisfied with his work.
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,4096.msg70361.html#quickreply

Studio H Landscape Architecture said:
Hi everyone, my name is Warwick, I'm a principal with Studio H Landscape Architecture.  I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have regarding design or our design services.  As of yesterday, we added a new feature to our website which we think is really unique to our industry, we have added an online web design fee calculator.http://www.studioh-inc.com/fee-pricing/, feel free to play around with it and let us know what you think.  Simply enter the information regarding your estimated construction budget and the size of the area you would like to landscape in square feet and it will calculate all of our fees.  Remember, we are currently offering a 30% discount on all of our design fees.  The site also has a second calculator which can help estimate a reasonable landscape construction budget prior to starting based on your project goals.  Please let us know if you have any questions at all, we are always here to help!
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,1207.msg214717.html#quickreply

jmoney74 said:
Do you guys have any contacts for landscape designers?  one that is affordable.  I have a contractor to do the work.. but need someone to do all of the drawings, etc that the GP HOA needs.  Any help from PP residence?

Yup, I highly recommend Warwick from Studio H. We're very satisfied with the way our landscape appears, and have had a few people (from PP, by the way) knock on our door to ask who did our landscape (I always make a distinction between our contractor, who sucked majorly, and the landscape architect). We have Spanish style architecture and embraced the terra cotta, colored hand-painted tile, colorful plants palette.

eyephone said:
yaliu07 said:
fixed link http://studioh-inc.com/about/fee-pricing

3000 for just the plan..

Plans should be included in the price, usually free.

I met some aggressive landscapers that were willing to design and leave the drawing with measurements for FREE w/out signing a contract. (Sign of desperation)

There's a difference between plans drawn by a contractor wanting the to do the project and making a profit off of the job vs a landscape architect whose only job is to do the plans and the construction project itself is left to someone else.

You get what you pay for. It's pretty obvious what jobs in our community are done by contractors and what jobs have had a landscape architect.

lnc said:
I remember NYT recomends Studio H Landscape Architecture and I had an impression that his landscaping job was pretty impressive.

NYT said:
lnc said:
NYT said:
Having gone the landscape architect route this time, I'd highly recommend getting an architect to design and a contractor to carry out the design. It's an extra chunk of money, but it'll get you a much better end result.

Can you recommend the landscape architect?  Thanks

We used Warwick Hunt from Studio H.
http://studioh-inc.com

Very satisfied with his work.
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,4096.msg70361.html#quickreply

Studio H Landscape Architecture said:
Hi everyone, my name is Warwick, I'm a principal with Studio H Landscape Architecture.  I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have regarding design or our design services.  As of yesterday, we added a new feature to our website which we think is really unique to our industry, we have added an online web design fee calculator.http://www.studioh-inc.com/fee-pricing/, feel free to play around with it and let us know what you think.  Simply enter the information regarding your estimated construction budget and the size of the area you would like to landscape in square feet and it will calculate all of our fees.  Remember, we are currently offering a 30% discount on all of our design fees.  The site also has a second calculator which can help estimate a reasonable landscape construction budget prior to starting based on your project goals.  Please let us know if you have any questions at all, we are always here to help!
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,1207.msg214717.html#quickreply

He will charge you at a very high rate.

eyephone said:
yaliu07 said:
fixed link http://studioh-inc.com/about/fee-pricing

3000 for just the plan..

Plans should be included in the price, usually free.

I met some aggressive landscapers that were willing to design and leave the drawing with measurements for FREE w/out signing a contract. (Sign of desperation)

My guy did it for free as part of the contract.

Unless you have a big yard (on say a 10,000 sq. foot lot), spending $3,000 or more for a landscape construction plan is just plain dumb.

Most houses in Irvine are built on postage size lots.

A fool and his money soon parted is so true.

jmoney74 said:

Contact Resort Style Backyards @ 949-306-5347.  Richard Foster is one of our architects/designers and does an amazing job.

jmoney74,

I am about to start my landscaping design, and I do not think it will be that difficult to do it yourself. For my previous place, I used graph paper to design the requirements based on the contractors specifications. Just follow the Design Guidelines from Section II F-2, and you should be approved. Just focus on (F-2H) and (F-2D), and I am sure there will be no issues.

Hi, I see many people on here question the value in hiring a Landscape Architect versus a Landscape Designer or a Contractor. Many feel it is a waste of money and an expense to a project. I am with Studio H Landscape Architecture, and I just wanted to through out there that hiring a Landscape Architect, whether us or another, is the best investment you can make. It will save you a considerable amount of money, not cost you money. I posted a reply on another page,http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,12776.0.html, check that out for a breakdown of how you save money, and the differences between contractors, landscape designers, and landscape architects. It's important to note that only Landscape Architects can produce a full set of plans used for construction purposes that you can get multiple bids with. Landscape Designers and Contractors are not allowed to do this by state law. It does not mean that there aren't some very talented Landscape Designers and Contractors. If you have more questions please feel free to contact me at 949 829 3746. I am always happy to answer any questions at all about cost, the professional practice, how the process works, etc, free of charge. I hope to hear from you. Warwick Hunt, Principal.

jmoney74 said:

@jmoney74 - who did you end up using? Feel free to PM if that works better for you? Thank you!

newbieinirvine said:
jmoney74 said:

@jmoney74 - who did you end up using? Feel free to PM if that works better for you? Thank you!

Newbie - he doesn?t come on TI.

I'm a satisfied customer of Studio H.  Yes they charge you for the landscaping design and plans but you get three things you otherwise wouldn't get if you went the contractor designed route.

1.  The ability to get three or more contractors to bid on the exact same design.  I figure I recouped the cost of Studio H's services by being able to bid one contractor against another.  The reduction in price was significant.

2.  The contractors recommended by Studio H want future business from Studio H and want to remain in good graces.  The contractor we selected tried to cut corners but Studio H stepped in and the work was done as specified.  Without Studio H, the burden of dealing with contractor disputes falls on me.  Search Talkirvine and you'll see many horror stories of landscaping jobs gone bad.

3.  The landscaping plans provided by Studio H are far more detailed than what a typical contractor will provide.  No later disagreements on specifications such as plant material and hardscape materials.  This was helpful in my situation as contractor tried to install smaller plants than specified.

If you have a decent sized yard and landscape budget, I think its prudent to at least talk to a landscape architect.

can you share more about the process and their services? This is something we will need in the near future.

During the initial consultation, a landscape architect from Studio H will meet you at your home and go over your landscaping wants and your budget.  I was asked to break down the wants between must have and would be nice to have.  I expressed that I wanted the style of the landscaping to match the Southwestern design of my home.  From there the landscape architect provided (I forget how many) design schematics to see what appealed to me.

Once the initial design is agreed upon then the details are discussed such as hardscape and plant materials.  Once finalized, the plans are drawn up and Studio H will either have their contractors bid on the plans or you can have your contractor of choice bid.  They will help manage the construction as well as supervise the installation of softscape.  Since we have heavy clay soil, Studio H did a soils test to determine the level of soil amendment needed.  Considering we spent a considerable amount for plants and for larger trees, it was important to make sure the installation was done properly. 

One observation about contractor designed landscapes is that each contractor tends to repeat certain design elements in their work.  Two contractors did multiple homes in our neighborhood and you can pretty much look at the hardscape and figure out who did which homes.  I love the fact that our landscape design is unique to our home.

Back