Amazon Launch Event (Fire Phone)

Honestly - amazon products to me are so so.

Ever since they agreed to collect sales tax - I have a bad taste when it comes to Amazon. Also, they are increasing the Amazon prime fee.

Called it... the Fire Phone!

lb2-4156.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/18/amazon-phone/

eyephone said:
Honestly - amazon products to me are so so.

Ever since they agreed to collect sales tax - I have a bad taste when it comes to Amazon. Also, they are increasing the Amazon prime fee.

Not like they really wanted to.. eventually that party was going to come to an end.

Also.. Amazon prime is a great deal as is.. pricing will only go up and hopefully they can get more content with it.

wow ! this beat their $199 promo during the holiday.  I got it for $199 during the holiday primarily to extend my prime membership that was expiring and was able to sell the unit on ebay after the promo ended for about the same price (so I got my one-year prime membership for the price of ebay fee and shipping).

ps9 said:
@GH
So you can activate the phone on your account to get the prime then you eBay it?

I believe it is activated and linked your amazon account automatically once it shipped (unless you label it as a gift).  I just deactivated it from my account when I got it (didn't open the phone itself).  So far, didn't got a complain from the buyer so I guess it worked :)

First impression of the Fire phone is its heft, pretty heavy compared to my iPhone.  One hand use still possible just need to adjust to the new weight.  The bigger screen sure is nice compared to the 5s.  Kinda meh on the phone wrist flick to get to the other screens, not that comfortable.  Like the headphones that come with it.  Apps load quick and responsive screen.  Firefly is limited, good on books and boxes, actual items don't scan well.  Prime music requires a separate download of the app, should be preloaded already, almost bought free prime music with the preloaded music app, which does not play prime music.  The preloaded Instant Video app does play the free prime content.  So for about $100, I get a back up phone, access to android apps, and can load up on amazon prime content. 

Fire phone is at $199 with a free year of Prime, not as good as the $189 last time but still decent.

Not a good start, my iPhone bricked over night, not sure why, did the 10 second two button push and hold, got a flickering Apple logo..not good.  So here goes, first day sans iPhone with my Fire phone

Were you trying to jailbreak it?

Try connecting it to a PC with iTunes and see what happens.

That reminds me... need to JB my iPhone, don't like any of the custom keyboards on the AppStore.

irvinehomeowner said:
Were you trying to jailbreak it?

Try connecting it to a PC with iTunes and see what happens.

That reminds me... need to JB my iPhone, don't like any of the custom keyboards on the AppStore.

Nope, didn't jailbreak, just died... hooked up to my itunes/pc now to try the restore function.. made a genius bar reservation as well.

Back