Author Topic: Toyota moving to Texas  (Read 299509 times)

eyephone (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline sleepy5136

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 34
Re: Toyota moving to Texas
« Reply #975 on: October 13, 2021, 08:42:04 PM »
You make it sound like once the classes are over, they're done. Like they don't need to grade homework, quizzes, exams, etc? Or they don't need to prepare for lectures? The ones at IUSD probably need to prepare the curriculum for the year during the breaks.

All teachers recycle the same curriculum year after year, just like Toll Brothers and their floorplans.

No need to grade papers, in IUSD everyone gets 100% because they are already 2 grades ahead in math and reading thanks to Kumon and private tutoring.
lol I would love to see a teacher hear this comment. I remember my teacher(s) always complaining how much work it is to be a teacher. Budget cuts here and there that leads to buying things out of your own pocket. You don't reuse the same curriculum forever. Sure, majority or some parts of it can be reused. What about dealing with parents that don't know how to parent or deal with their kids? Grading is only part of it, the crappy part that teachers hate the most is dealing with parents that insist their parenting skills are not the issue and instead blame the teachers. Your comment exactly shows how lots of teachers are always under-appreciated for what they do. There is also training that teachers need to do as well in order to obtain higher pay on their end.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline freedomcm

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 485
  • -Received: 104
« Reply #976 on: October 14, 2021, 06:53:46 AM »
what a load.

except the working 80hr/wk in order to be competitive on the research front.  except that you also work all the breaks and during the summer to do the research.

And, you have to be amongst the best in your field even to land the job, and then you start at the state guideline rate ($100k?), and have to raise the rest by securing grants for your 'summer salary'

They also get "other pay", which exceeds $1M. It could be research funding. Either way, it says their total pay is more than $1M.

Plus subsidized housing, 3 months off during the summer, winter break, spring break, sabbaticals, etc.  Go look at the Cal Pac homes in University Hills.  The UCI profs there hit the jackpot.

Offline freedomcm

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 485
  • -Received: 104
« Reply #977 on: October 14, 2021, 06:55:19 AM »
Are these all professors running start-ups in the 20% of their time they are permitted to work on non-university matters?

sleepy said they are 'so underpaid'. I disagree and provided data.
It is definitely a relative assessment. I don't think most people are aware of how much professors can make.
So in engineering, those numbers for professors are not that attractive. You can make millions a year in big tech if you're a distinguished engineer which is equivalent to a prof. So having base salary of 200-300k is nothing relative to industry. Might not be considered "underpaid" to the average joe, but it is in their field as there aren't a lot of them to begin with. Not everyone wants to be in school for that long.

So yes, professors are underpaid.

They also get "other pay", which exceeds $1M. It could be research funding. Either way, it says their total pay is more than $1M.

Offline CalBears96

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 3
  • -Received: 15
« Reply #978 on: October 14, 2021, 11:11:28 AM »
Are these all professors running start-ups in the 20% of their time they are permitted to work on non-university matters?

sleepy said they are 'so underpaid'. I disagree and provided data.
It is definitely a relative assessment. I don't think most people are aware of how much professors can make.
So in engineering, those numbers for professors are not that attractive. You can make millions a year in big tech if you're a distinguished engineer which is equivalent to a prof. So having base salary of 200-300k is nothing relative to industry. Might not be considered "underpaid" to the average joe, but it is in their field as there aren't a lot of them to begin with. Not everyone wants to be in school for that long.

So yes, professors are underpaid.

I think the "other pay" are perks and probably research grants or funding. I looked at the list of professors and they all seem to have "other pay", so I don't think it's coming from start-ups.

Online morekaos

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 574
  • -Received: 521
« Reply #979 on: October 25, 2021, 12:36:35 PM »
This is actually becoming the norm...we are taking up a motion to hire private security in our area paid for by the residents...thanks Mayor Garcia and Gov. Nuisance for making California such a friendly place...for criminals and vagrants....We're #1!!!

San Francisco residents are hiring private security to patrol their streets in bid to stay safe, amid crime spike that has left many fearful of going outside during the DAY
More than 150 families have hired private patrol officers to monitor their San Francisco neighborhoods as the city see a rash in property crimes
Marina District resident Katie Lyons, who is among those who hired patrol, says she and her neighbors 'don't feel safe'
She shared that she doesn't walk alone at night, and is now growing increasingly worried about her safety even during daylight hours
Officer Alan Byard, who was hired to patrol the area, says his client base has nearly doubled amid the city's crime surge and coronavirus outbreak
Byard was hired after repeated instances of car break-ins and home burglaries
Over 15,000 auto burglaries have been reported in San Francisco this year, but 2021 is on track to fall below the nearly 26,000 auto burglaries reported in 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10128485/San-Francisco-families-hiring-PRIVATE-SECURITY-patrol-streets-amid-crime-spike.html

Offline daedalus

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 252
  • -Received: 269
« Reply #980 on: Yesterday at 10:21:33 PM »

Offline aquabliss

• Thanks
  • -Given: 219
  • -Received: 816
« Reply #981 on: Today at 07:47:13 AM »
This is the beginning of the end...

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/kat-von-d-closing-her-195159201.html

Great, now where am I gonna get my #irvine4life tat?!

Offline akula1488

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 22
  • -Received: 25
« Reply #982 on: Today at 08:28:45 AM »
 Won't be long when people start to steal gas from parked vehicles....
This is actually becoming the norm...we are taking up a motion to hire private security in our area paid for by the residents...thanks Mayor Garcia and Gov. Nuisance for making California such a friendly place...for criminals and vagrants....We're #1!!!

San Francisco residents are hiring private security to patrol their streets in bid to stay safe, amid crime spike that has left many fearful of going outside during the DAY
More than 150 families have hired private patrol officers to monitor their San Francisco neighborhoods as the city see a rash in property crimes
Marina District resident Katie Lyons, who is among those who hired patrol, says she and her neighbors 'don't feel safe'
She shared that she doesn't walk alone at night, and is now growing increasingly worried about her safety even during daylight hours
Officer Alan Byard, who was hired to patrol the area, says his client base has nearly doubled amid the city's crime surge and coronavirus outbreak
Byard was hired after repeated instances of car break-ins and home burglaries
Over 15,000 auto burglaries have been reported in San Francisco this year, but 2021 is on track to fall below the nearly 26,000 auto burglaries reported in 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10128485/San-Francisco-families-hiring-PRIVATE-SECURITY-patrol-streets-amid-crime-spike.html

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Abiding Dude. Housing focused NMLS Licensed
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 1056
  • -Received: 1228
  • Isaiah 58: 6-11
« Reply #983 on: Today at 08:46:27 AM »
How does one steal gas from a Tesla - about all I see in Irvine today? Asking for a friend ....

The OC thing to boost are catalytic converters.  Practically one clipped per day in Lake Forest if you follow crime reports on Nextdoor or your Ring info.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:17:33 AM by Soylent Green Is People »
My .02c

SGIP

Offline OCtoSV

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 63
  • -Received: 42
« Reply #984 on: Today at 08:47:17 AM »
The world needs more Irvines - SF has deteriorated into something almost unrecognizable. We used to think it would be cool to have a small condo there in retirement - hard pass now.

Online morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #985 on: Today at 09:29:55 AM »
This would be a real loss...I wouldn't blame Lynsi though..

Top Florida Official Pleads With In-N-Out to Move After Vaccine Mandate Closures

Florida’s Chief Financial Officer, Jimmy Patronis, suggested that In-N-Out Burger should move to the Sunshine State after several In-N-Out locations were shut down by California officials.

Patronis appealed to In-N-Out CEO Lunsi Snyder to move to the state, arguing that Florida has a superior business climate—noting the state has no personal income tax, low corporate taxes, and no mandates.

“I’m writing you today not only as Florida’s Chief Financial Officer, but as a small business owner who grew up in a family-owned restaurant and worked there for more than 30 years,” his letter reads. “I know how hard it is to turn a profit and make payroll on a good day, let alone when your own government is working to crush your business with absurd mandates. Once I heard the news of your shutdown for refusing to act as ‘vaccine police,’ I knew I had to reach out immediately.”

https://www.theepochtimes.com/mkt_morningbrief/top-florida-official-pleads-with-in-n-out-to-move-after-vaccine-mandate-closures_4071753.html?utm_source=Morningbrief&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mb-2021-10-28&mktids=990c9c6945d7eda7f1ee8df3d3a328a1&est=o7xRlCkp3MyjUCN89BOMwCsYzr0WM7YOzgEpI5O0ViZ8c68rUFZiCS0BTe7woEo%3D

Offline Liar Loan

• Thanks
  • -Given: 686
  • -Received: 451
« Reply #986 on: Today at 10:59:37 AM »

Top Florida Official Pleads With In-N-Out to Move After Vaccine Mandate Closures

I think Texas would be a more likely landing spot since they already have restaurants there.  One problem though is In-N-Out's image is tied to an idealized version of California car culture, palm trees, and hot rods.  It might hurt their branding to leave the state.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:04:50 AM by Liar Loan »

Online eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 493
  • -Received: 777
« Reply #987 on: Today at 11:10:06 AM »

I think Texas would be a more likely landing spot since they already have restaurants there.  One problem though is In-N-Out's image is tied to an idealized version of California car culture, palm trees, and hot rods.  It might hurt their branding to leave the state.

If they leave. Just a reminder there are many food corporation hq based in California. That would probably offer the employees jobs.

Online morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #988 on: Today at 11:20:06 AM »
Fewer and fewer...

Carl’s Jr. HQ To Leave California, Move To Tennessee
Posted by: Chris McCrory in Santa Clarita Latest News, State and National News March 13, 2016 - 3:48 pm

Fast food chain Carl’s Junior is leaving California next year for a new headquarters shared with the company’s sister franchise, Hardee’s, in Nashville, Tennessee.

https://www.hometownstation.com/santa-clarita-latest-news/carls-jr-hq-to-leave-california-move-to-tennessee-168103

Online morekaos

• Thanks
« Reply #989 on: Today at 11:40:18 AM »
And on jobs... the boy King is just hitting it out of the park...

California Adds Only 47,400 Jobs In September; Unemployment Rate At 7.5%

California is now tied with Nevada for the highest unemployment rate in the country at 7.5% after adding just 47,400 new jobs last month.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/10/22/california-september-21-jobs-report-hiring-slows/

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Recent Posts

Re: Congress Elections by morekaos
[Today at 01:02:01 PM]

Homeowners insurance, high fire risk? by mythicquest
[Today at 12:59:48 PM]

Re: OH Groves Previous Genoa lots - speculation by mythicquest
[Today at 12:57:07 PM]

Re: coronavirus by morekaos