Toyota moving to Texas

You would have to at least quad me up.

This way I can keep the family in SoCal and I'll just fly back and forth every weekend.

Texas unemployment rate is 6.2%, Orange County is 6.2%. It's obviously not good news, but there are still plenty of companies creates jobs in California despite the high costs of living here (mostly real estate)

Companies do this all the time...they move to a state where they think has greener pastures only to find that there is a lack of high skill workers/employees.  While people complain about the cost of living in California, most high skilled and high earning workers still want to live here. 

First Honda went to Tenn., now Toyota to Texas.  In 5 years Hyundai's tax credits will expire and they will also flee....dooomed

morekaos said:
First Honda went to Tenn., now Toyota to Texas.  In 5 years Hyundai's tax credits will expire and they will also flee....dooomed

Correction - Nissan went to Tenn. not Honda motor co.

morekaos said:

Hurry panda, here's you chance to pitch Hyundai to relocate in Johns Creek.

eyephone said:
morekaos said:

Correction - Nissan went to Tenn. not Honda motors co.

Sorry my rage clouded my memory, I stand corrected

Irvinecommuter said:
Companies do this all the time...they move to a state where they think has greener pastures only to find that there is a lack of high skill workers/employees.  While people complain about the cost of living in California, most high skilled and high earning workers still want to live here. 
I think this is something most decision makers do all the time if it doesn't relocate them.

On top of the recruiting pool there, they don't factor in that many won't want to move and that those that do, may not be happy about it.

Some people I know moved to TX because homes were cheaper and they had family there... they moved back to SoCal a few years later because they couldn't stand the heat.  And while real estate and lack of income tax helps, there are other taxes/bills that eat up that difference (I think TX is 1.8% tax, one of the highest).

There are always tons of variables to consider when you choose where to live... Irvine, Texas or Johns Creek all have pros/cons.

Wow this is bad.  A coworker's wife works there.  Wonder what they will do.  Hopefully she is close enough to retirement.

thatOSguy said:
Here is the word:

2900 people remain in CA.
750 positions are being added to TEMA in Erlanger, KY.
Bulk of operations (~2400 positions) across TEMA, TMS, and TFS move to Saline and Plano.

This move sounds in between Honda's IT/legal/HR move to Ohio and Nissan's full blown exit to Tennessee.

so what is left here?

So is this a buy for TM?
sounds like it

Today: 04.28.2014
TM: $107.07

Will check back in 2015

Back