"Waterproof" paint in bathroom

LASmog

We're new owners of a home at Mendocino (Stonegate), and we just noticed the paint in the bathrooms and kitchen aren't the shiny, "waterproof" type we have seen in our previous home. We're wondering if the builder forgot to apply the "waterproof" coat. Thoughts?

Most builders today don't use high gloss products anymore.  Takes away from the look they want. 

There is no "waterproof" coat... the paint is usually a semi-gloss (used to be high-gloss) finish.

There should be a slight sheen to it, compare it to walls in your hallway or bedroom.

LASmog said:
We're new owners of a home at Mendocino (Stonegate), and we just noticed the paint in the bathrooms and kitchen aren't the shiny, "waterproof" type we have seen in our previous home. We're wondering if the builder forgot to apply the "waterproof" coat. Thoughts?

Builder paint the walls with FLAT paint throughout the entire house.  If you want, semi-gloss or egg-shell, you have to paint yourself or hire a third party contractor.

Goriot said:
LASmog said:

Builder (at Mendo) paint the walls with FLAT paint throughout the entire house.  If you want, semi-gloss or egg-shell, you have to paint yourself or hire a third party contractor.

Really?

I thought that it was a builder requirement to paint at least egg-shell or semi-gloss in kitchen, bath and laundry areas.

I've never heard of that, I thought it was standard to do at least eggshell in "wet" areas.  If it's true that is really cheap.  Do they paint the baseboards and trim flat too?

my painter charged the same regardless of semi-gloss or egg shell or flat, cost difference must be trivial and only matter to greedy builders

I don't think it's the difference in price, it's the inconvenience of having to change out the paint for the areas... although I don't think it would be that hard to just have someone do all the flat areas and then the "wet" areas.

I have the same question as wrigley, are the baseboards and trim also flat paint?

I believe the crown molding and baseboard for Mendocino is semi-gloss from
Manufacturer: Vista Paint (Mission Viejo Store)
Model Name: Vista Paint to Match Dunn Edwards Bright White

Only would cost more because they have to buy another gallon on paint. At most $30-50.

Back