Lighting

J

jmoney74

So got a quote and they asked me if I wanted to do LED modules or bulbs for the recessed lights.  Says the modules look better but the bulbs are brighter.  What do you guys think?  Also, he said light automation has come down in price was I'm interested in controlling that from an app.  Wondering if anyone else has this type of setup.

jmoney74 said:
So got a quote and they asked me if I wanted to do LED modules or bulbs for the recessed lights.  Says the modules look better but the bulbs are brighter.  What do you guys think?  Also, he said light automation has come down in price was I'm interested in controlling that from an app.  Wondering if anyone else has this type of setup.

I have LED and automation and did it myself.

I installed LED bulbs in the regular receptacles instead of the full modules since LED technology is still in it's early stages and the technology is getting better and better all the time.  I don't want to be stuck with modules that are considered sub par in 3-5 years and too cost prohibitive to swap out.  With my arrangement, you unscrew the old LED bulb and screw in the newer technology bulb.  I also use WeMo light automation.  You can replace your light switches and program them through your smartphone and use apps such as IFTTT (If This Then That) to make it do all kinds of cool things.  You can also use plug switches to control plug in lamps, etc with it.  Using my smartphone I can see the status of all my 'connected' lights and turn them off and on from anywhere there is an internet connection.

Thanks.  That would be great for the Christmas lights too.

Do know if they also do the door locks and web cams?  I don't want to pay monthly for that stuff.

jmoney74 said:
Thanks.  That would be great for the Christmas lights too.

Do know if they also do the door locks and web cams?  I don't want to pay monthly for that stuff.

I have not seen them do door locks yet but they do have two (non subscription) web cams that use the free software as well.  There is a regular resolution cam and an HD (720p) cam which I have heard are decent.  I have not bought the cams yet but will soon.  I am waiting for my Foscam camera to die first or for a good price on the WeMo cam.

They also have motion sensing switches that will turn on a light or whatever you plug into it when it senses movement.

I see that on the site.. thanks.  I'm glad that this technology has flowed to the masses.

Speaking of LED, just saw a good deal at Costco.  $ 7.89 for this 65 watt equivalent, FEIT BR30 LED Soft white light bulb (reg. $12.89 plus $5.00 instant rebate from Southern California Edison).    I just got a couple to try it out since some LED bulb might not be bright enough or the color could be too white.  This FELT BR30 uses only 13 watts, idimmable and produce 750 lumens with color temperature of 2700k.

If it looks good, I will go back and grab about 30 of them.  LED bulb of this type usually run around $20 and for $7.89, it's not much more expensive than a BR30 CFL bulbs.

Attachments

• Feit BR30 LED.jpg
    Feit BR30 LED.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 307
lnc said:
Speaking of LED, just saw a good deal at Costco.  $ 7.89 for this 65 watt equivalent, FEIT BR30 LED Soft white light bulb (reg. $12.89 plus $5.00 instant rebate from Southern California Edison).    I just got a couple to try it out since some LED bulb might not be bright enough or the color could be too white.  This FELT BR30 uses only 13 watts, idimmable and produce 750 lumens with color temperature of 2700k.

If it looks good, I will go back and grab about 30 of them.  LED bulb of this type usually run around $20 and for $7.89, it's not much more expensive than a BR30 CFL bulbs.

Let us know how this works out.  I got some of the Cree BR30 bulbs from Home Depot a while back.  They're pretty good, but at $70.00 for a 4 pack, it would cost a fortune to replace all of my can lights with them.  7.98/bulb is much more agreeable with my wallet.

Those are not that bright.  I think I have tried every single LED bulb Costco has ever sold over the last 9 years or so (plus some from Sam's and HD).  We still run them in a couple rooms since we're not just going to throw them away (yeah, we probably paid over $20 each).  I won't buy any bulb less than 1000 lumens for most rooms.  Also, just FYI, we've had to replace some of our older Lutron dimmer switches to get the LEDs to work.  I really like the recessed retrofit fixtures, and also the omnidirectional bulbs, even for recessed lighting they work well.

daedalus said:
Those are not that bright.  I think I have tried every single LED bulb Costco has ever sold over the last 9 years or so (plus some from Sam's and HD).  We still run them in a couple rooms since we're not just going to throw them away (yeah, we probably paid over $20 each).  I won't buy any bulb less than 1000 lumens for most rooms.  Also, just FYI, we've had to replace some of our older Lutron dimmer switches to get the LEDs to work.  I really like the recessed retrofit fixtures, and also the omnidirectional bulbs, even for recessed lighting they work well.

I have those 65 watt bulbs and they do the job for smaller rooms and work just fine.  For brighter bulbs I get the 100 wall equivalent ones at Costco (17W).  Those are very bright and are over 1100 lumens from what I recall.  I have them in my kitchen (X5) and they are very bright.  It feel nice having them on and only burning 85W total vs standard incandescent 100W bulbs burning 500W total.

I just installed these in our home:
http://www.noralighting.com/Product.aspx?&pid=9913

3000K makes the place look brighter and they put out plenty of light and look great. If you go through an electrician, you can get them at a discount at Light Bulbs Etc in Orange (still installed them myself). These have a 7 year warranty and work in wet areas. At 50K hours, hopefully I'll never have to replace them.

These FEIT BR30 LED
gaogi said:
lnc said:

Let us know how this works out.  I got some of the Cree BR30 bulbs from Home Depot a while back.  They're pretty good, but at $70.00 for a 4 pack, it would cost a fortune to replace all of my can lights with them.  7.98/bulb is much more agreeable with my wallet.

Installed couple of them last night and it turn out pretty good.  For 65w equivalent bulb, these FEIT LED are quite bright.  I had a 65w BR30 incandescent bulb and a 65w equivalent BR30 CFL bulb installed next to the LED for comparison.  The FEIT LED are actually slightly brighter than both incandescent and the CFL bulbs.  The 2700k color of this LED looks exactly like the incandescent's, so its not too white.  It works perfectly with the dimmer and does not produce any humming or buzzing sound like some LED bulb does.

Decided to get some more today and found out that the $5.00 instant rebate are limited to 20 per customer. 

Wow, great deal!  I have a similar experience with these lights.  They are definitely a bit brighter than my original 65w incandescent bulbs.  I can actually turn down my dimmer switch just a little bit to get the same amount of light output.    The only thing that annoyed me at first was that they do not produce the yellow/orange glow when you dim them all the way down.  I've been used to this type of lighting when watching TV/movies in my living room and it took awhile to get adjusted to the new "less bright" LED look.

lnc said:
gaogi said:
lnc said:
Decided to get some more today and found out that the $5.00 instant rebate are limited to 20 per customer.

20 per customer per trip?

I guess so.  Going back again today to get some more.

Which Costco did you go to?  Went to the one at Tustin Legacy today, and didn't see any BR30 LED's available.

gaogi said:
lnc said:
gaogi said:
lnc said:

Which Costco did you go to?  Went to the one at Tustin Legacy today, and didn't see any BR30 LED's available.

At fist, I got them at the Cypress Costco.  But when I went back the next day, they already ran out so I went to the Huntington Beach Costco(next to Bella Terra) and got some more.  Went back to the Huntington Beach Costco again yesterday and they ran out of them too. 

I haven't check around the Costco in Irvine area but if you see them, grab as much as you can, You can always return them if you don't needed.  Looks like the supply is limited and they are selling out pretty fast.

lnc said:
gaogi said:
lnc said:
gaogi said:
lnc said:

At fist, I got them at the Cypress Costco.  But when I went back the next day, they already ran out so I went to the Huntington Beach Costco(next to Bella Terra) and got some more.  Went back to the Huntington Beach Costco again yesterday and they ran out of them too. 

I haven't check around the Costco in Irvine area but if you see them, grab as much as you can, You can always return them if you don't needed.  Looks like the supply is limited and they are selling out pretty fast.

I went Irvine, Old tustin, new tustin costcos..yesterday.  they all ran out.....Thus I did a inventory check with store manager...  found out there at 500+ in laguna niguel. 

Took 20mins drive and rush there.. and found out...  they don't have energy rebate there, still $12.... and they would not price match "energy rebate"!! :'(

I was told (district Costco) they will get more in next week.  I went back on Sunday after buying 1 to try out, too slow, too late :(

The light is more white than standard CFL lights but not sterile fluorescent white.  I'm looking to replace about 20.

ps9 said:
I was told (district Costco) they will get more in next week.  I went back on Sunday after buying 1 to try out, too slow, too late :(

The light is more white than standard CFL lights but not sterile fluorescent white.  I'm looking to replace about 20.

LOL!! No wonder!

Back