24 Hour Fitness Lakeshore Towers - What a mess!

elgringo

Hello,

I have belonged to 24 Hour Fitness at Lakeshore Towers for a while.  Over the past few days, the gym has gone from being a great place to workout to near chaos.  Why?  24HF recently closed its South Coast Sport Level club location on Anton for three months for remodeling.  As a way of accommodating those members, they opened up the Lakeshore Towers branch to those members during the remodel.    Now, try going there after work and seeing if you can work out.    What a mess!    The locker room is now packed.  There are waiting lines at the cardio machines.  Unbelievable.    When I went to one of the managers to talk about not being able to find a locker, he pointed to a row of lockers in the main lobby (not in a locker room) and said I can use them.  So, let me get this straight.  When I go take a shower, I am supposed to walk out of the shower with a towel around my waist into the lobby to change.  Great!

He also said that the managers were offering concessions to all of the Ultra Sport members such $20 off per month for three months or free valet parking.  Frankly, $20 per month is not a big deal to me.  What is a big deal to me is:  (1)  finding a locker (2) working out (3) leaving within two hours.  That was not possible last night.  This was an absolutely brain dead thing to do.

I am debating whether to keep my membership.

I suggest that everyone who is a member of Lakeshore Towers write to the OCregister and let them know what's happening (cperkins@ocregister.com and lhall@ocregister.com).

I had free a week pass to this gym a couple of years ago.  I was not happy with my experience.  I really wanted to like it, but it was awful.  I experienced a shortage of towels and  lockers.  It didn't feel very high end.  I actually thought the 24 at the Spectrum was nicer. 

sonoma said:
I had free a week pass to this gym a couple of years ago.  I was not happy with my experience.  I really wanted to like it, but it was awful.  I experienced a shortage of towels and  lockers.  It didn't feel very high end.  I actually thought the 24 at the Spectrum was nicer. 
Agreed, I have a friend who works out there and he got me a 7-day pass.  I was not impressed at all.  The parking is a pain in the ass and the staff wasn't all that helpful and friendly.  I prefer the 24hour sport by the Spectrum off Irvine Center Drive.

What is the going rate at Equinox these days?  I used to work out at Spectrum in El Segundo, that used to be about $100/month, it was like a 3 minute drive from where i lived so it was very convenient.  But after moving to Irvine, there was not one close by so joined LA fitness.  The best thing about going to the high end clubs are the women.  Since Spectrum bordered manhattan beach you would get a lot of good looking women and MILFs.  I would see a good amount of athletes there as well (aside from the Clippers who practiced there for a while).  The only kind of odd thing was that i had to be only a handful of hispanics that belonged there. I rarely saw another one in the club the whole time i was a member. Mostly white folk with some black sprinkled in. Im guessing Equinox is similar. The good thing about these higher end clubs too is that the free weights are typically available without a wait since a lot of people there go for the aerobic equipment.

Just use a ThighMaster or AbRoller... and if you're hardcore... the P90X PullUp Bar.

I don't need a gym membership because I lift weights all the time... when I get out of bed, when I get up from a chair, when I get out of my swaggerwagon...

I'm hoping that the new 24 Hour Fitness opening at the Marketplace will be kept up well.  Otherwise will have to continue splitting time between Culver/Alton and the itsy bitsy one at Irvine/Newport.

I think the most annoying thing about this whole Lakeshore Towers episode is that it's a perfect example of how messaging can make a difference.  24HF could have proactively mailed a notice to Ultra Sport members or even posted something at the gym letting us know what would be happening and proactively offering to make some concessions rather than springing this on us.    There was no advance notice given.  None.    For now I am going to continue and see how it goes.  About 1.5 years ago, I took them up on their 3yr prepaid offer which effectively cut my dues by more than 50% during that time and by 70% thereafter.  So, I have 1.5 more years at no cost to me.

As an fyi, I met with the gym manager today.  He said that the only new Sport Club members they are allowing into the Lakeshore Club are those that have gone to the South Coast club over the past year a certain number of times or those who have joined at that club.  He said his staff have turned away other folks.  He also acknowledged that he has received numerous complaints and that they should have handled it differently.  Hopefully this will return to normal over the next few weeks.

Back