Cycling Safety Course for Cyclists and Drivers Too

socal78

"It's Time to Stop Killing Cyclists" by David Whiting

"Called Traffic Skills 101, the course is put on by the League of American Bicyclists and covers basic bicycle maintenance, bike paths, road riding and riding at night. Navigating traffic, however, is the meat of the course.

Last Friday ? the day after nine-year-old Nicholas Vela was hit and killed by a truck in Anaheim ? I attended the classroom portion. On Saturday, I checked out the road part. Join me in making the next class over-subscribed. And the next class. And the next."

"...you will come to understand more about what should be expected ? and what should not be expected ? from your fellow road riders."

Safety classes

What: Street Smarts 101, League of American Bicyclists

Where: Jax Bicycles, Culver Drive, Irvine.

When: Jan. 22, 23; Feb. 19, 20 (6 p.m., 8 a.m.)

Fee: $35

For more information, instructor Pete Van Nuys: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:petevannuys@cox.net">petevannuys@cox.net</a><!-- e -->.

I was reading this article in the Irvine World News and I wanted to link the article for everyone to read... so if you search the ocregister for "bicyclist killed" you come up with like 20 recent articles... very scary for bikers! Be careful...

Back to topic: Family of dead cyclist forgives driver
http://www.ocregister.com/news/family-223891-murphy-john.html

Wanted to start a poll, can you forgive if this happened to you? I know it would be very difficult for me; but I know that is the only way to ultimately move-on with life...

Back